1 Year Update: A Petsmart Betta's 5g Journey - Zoid's Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Earth Prime, Sol System, Milky Way, Horrible Gelatinous Monster
1 Year Update: A Petsmart Betta's 5g Journey - Zoid's Journal

I have a problem... so many aquariums so little space lol.

Anyways here is my 5th aquarium its my second 5g this time lengthwise (I have a Contour 5g aswell thats tall). This time it will be a Betta only tank. Im not sure what type of betta I have, although its a nice Turquoise colour.

Im looking to fill the tank with plants to make this lil guy comfortable. I only have Java Fern and Anubias at the moment. Im not sure if I want to do more driftwood as I already have that in all my other tanks. But something is obviously missing in this tank.

I will be adding in a Finnex Clip Light and Versa Top Lid soon.

DETAILS:
TOP FIN 5g (Dont hit me!)
Aquaclear 20 with water bottle baffle
10w Aqueon Mini Heater
FINNEX 10" Clip Light (Soon)

AQUASCAPE:
White Pool Filter Sand
Estes Pebbles

PLANTS:
Java Fern
Anubias Nana

FISH:
Unkown Betta, Turquoise Body with Dark Blue Fins and Splashes of red.

FERTS/WATER SCHEDULE:
Not sure yet but I will be dosing with the standard Flourish Dosing Chart
Water around 25% a week for now.

----------
1 Year update below
Now a Community tank and rescaped
----------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zoidborg; 01-23-2016 at 02:41 AM. Reason: NEW UPDATE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Earth Prime, Sol System, Milky Way, Horrible Gelatinous Monster
Update:

I've removed the Greek columns in an effort to make the tank look more natural.

I added a piece of Malaysian Driftwood that had been in my 20long for over a year. I stuffed some of the Java Fern into the crevices and tied some willow moss onto the base of the driftwood.

The little betta needed a hidey hole so I put in a Cichlid Stone, he loves going in and out of there and even sleeps in there! I surrounded the stone with more Java Fern and planted 2 (3 stem) bunches of Rotala Wallichi behind it.

Closer pic of the lil guy. Still not sure what to name him yet, I m thinking of a godly name like Poseidon, Neptune, Triton etc. Maybe a blue name would go well too, unless he's a marble and changes colours lol.

Last edited by Zoidborg; 01-04-2015 at 06:23 PM. Reason: more pictures
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

~~2 Month Update~~

The lil guy is doing great, he's very active and much more happier then being left at the petsmart store in a cup. He loves to go in and out of the driftwood and caves and leaf surfs on every plant possible.

I've named him Eyrie (Lord of the Vale) as he is a Veil tale... get it?

Here is where I always find him napping... under this particular leaf of the Anubias.

The plants are exploding in growth since I added on the Finnex Planted+ 16" and a versa top. My cleaning/pwc schedule has also eased, the 5 gallon tank only needs 25% every 2 weeks with a top up in between.

The tank specs are as follows:

5 Gallon Top Fin Aquarium with Black Silicon
Versa Top Glass Lid
Finnex Planted +
Aquaclear 20 with water bottle baffle and fluval prefilter
Malaysian Driftwood
Cichlid Stone
White Pool Filter Sand and Estes Pebbles
Betta Leaf Hammock
Nano Mag

Inhabitants:

Male Veil Tale Betta
3 Amano Shrimp
3 Otocinclus

Plants:

Anubias nana
Java Fern
Willow Moss
Rotala Wallichi
Micro Sword
Amazon Frogbit
Floating Fern

The Amanos love to graze on the algae that builds up on this cichlid stone.

The Otos love hanging out on the Malaysian Driftwood.

This frogbit covers up to much of the light, its been removed by the handful every month. The Amanos surfs on it upside down.

~~~~

I'd like to add some more shrimp to this tank (not Cherries , I have those in my other 3). I'm very confident in my overstocking as all my other tanks are overstocked, and as some of you know I have a lengthy water change and fertilizer schedule.

I'm thinking perhaps some Blue Neos or perhaps another color to offset Eyrie's blue color.

Last edited by Zoidborg; 02-22-2015 at 03:28 PM. Reason: spelling

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
The moss seems to be taking it's time but then that's probably better than
overrunning the tank. The rest looks to be growing well. Good move taking out the fake Greek columns.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 03:19 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like the idea of the cichlid stone for a betta house... now to get my hands on one for my betta. I think your betta's name is very creative! It's different from the usual "Neptune".
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah the moss is taking its time (i have the same moss in my EBI that took over) Not sure why its taking so long.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

8 Month update:

He's a Marble!

Last edited by Zoidborg; 08-16-2015 at 11:24 PM. Reason: more pictures
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Neat, tank looks great!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

1 Year update!

Tore down tank and removed all the sand.
Replaced with Fluval Stratum some new pieces of Malaysian Driftwood and new plants. Moved over my Strawberry Rasboras from my old EBI tank.

Plants:
Ambulia
Water Wisteria
Anubias
Java Fern
Lucky Bamboo

I have renamed My Betta to Blue since that's what the lil ones call him. After a few months of marbling he's decided to stick with Blue body and Purplish Blue and Red outlined fins/tail.

The Community Betta tank doesn't look as great right now but I'll be sure to post better pics in a few weeks when the plants grow in.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 04:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Nice journal, hows Blue doing with the rasboras?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode