ADA 60p cm tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (116/100%)
ADA 60p cm tank

I thought I would share my 18 gallon ADA tank. Enjoy the pictures. This tank has gone through a lot of morphs. It used to be a stem only tank, to a very boring neddleleaf to anubias nana petite only tank. This is what the tank look like Monday.

Here is a list of plants:
Downois
Crypt "Rosanervig"
needleleaf java fern
hitch hiker Blyxa in the back
Hygrophila difformis "variegated"--this plant has some nice white vein but when I start dosing some macro and micro it starts to get reddish/purplish/moronish color leaves including the vein.
Hygrophila sp. "Rio Araguaia" or sp. Roraima.. I can't really tell
Eleocharis sp."Belem"

I have only one fish and the rest are wild cherries, red shrimps, 1 yellow shrimp

Enjoy! More pictures to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 07:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looking good for a start. Reminds me a lot of my new 60-P in development =)

Obviously, you can develop your back and mid ground some. Do you want to incorporate any color differentials? You can still go a lot of ways with the scape. Your plant selection will be both subjective and somewhat dynamic- it's up to you to scape as you wish.

However, if going for the full show tank look, ADA-esque, bad-ass look, I'd swap that plastic in take (and other out take I can't see) with Lily pipes or other (Do!Aqua, other knockoffs). I live in the Bay as well, in SF, on the the 22 MUNI line which drops me off right in front of Aqua Forest Aquarium. I am spoiled, but appreciative. It does make it hard to be discretionary so my wallet doesn't suffer =)

I'm also in the process of setting up a show quality 60-P for my living room and working though the daily dilemmas (Algae, CO2 levels, trimming, fert mix/schedule) to keep it evolving according toward my vision.

Keep it going! Lookin good.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
What canister are you using? I don't recognize that intake. Like the previous poster said, you can bump up the clean look with some glassware to match that ADA logo on tank.

How many wt for that light?

Glad to see another ADA 60P!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
if you pull that wisteria and add a stem plant like rotala wallichi i think it will look amazing. great start though, i love the eleocharis field and the downoi
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris127 View Post
if you pull that wisteria and add a stem plant like rotala wallichi i think it will look amazing. great start though, i love the eleocharis field and the downoi
I was thinking about that but then I like the way the wisteria looks. It's the new kind that has white vein and then as it turns out with some dosing it turns reddish on the leaves. It's an amazing plant. My friend bought it from someone for $8 a stem. Now it's growing like weeds in my tank.

I used to keep a lot of colorful stem plants in this tank before but kind of tired of trimming them all the time. I decided to go with foreground plants only but then I got sucker into trying some stem plants from my friend. I am still thinking about pulling the rest of the stem plants out and just keep the eleocharis sp. belem and the downois as the only plants there.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 11:04 PM
Anti iwagumi

if youre going to yank the wisteria i say pull blyxa where it is now. it would bush out nice and look great!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 12:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
Good to see you around B! The tank looks nice esp. the eleocharis 'belem' foreground. I had a bit of that 'variegated' difformis a while back too and you're right it grows like a weed. I ended up yanking all of it after getting tired of fighting it and gave it away to club members.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
if youre going to yank the wisteria i say pull blyxa where it is now. it would bush out nice and look great!
I was going to yank out the wisteria but then I like the way it's morphing but I'm thinking of taking it out completely. I have three little Blxya right where the Wisteria is at. It's not growing because it's under the wisteria. I really like the look but I'm planning on trimming the Eleocharis sp."Belem" this weekend.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Anti iwagumi

gotchya and your eleocharis belem carpet looks amazing, i have some coming for my 45-P that im hoping to grow out enough for nice carpet like yours.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
gotchya and your eleocharis belem carpet looks amazing, i have some coming for my 45-P that im hoping to grow out enough for nice carpet like yours.
Cool! I found it that once it established it will take off. It took me 3 to 4 weeks for it to reach that point. My friend gave me maybe 12 runners or so.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Anti iwagumi

wow nice ive got a small start like that coming and my 45-P is smaller than your 60-P so i should be set in no time whats your ferts and co2 like? what type of light are you running?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
wow nice ive got a small start like that coming and my 45-P is smaller than your 60-P so i should be set in no time whats your ferts and co2 like? what type of light are you running?
I don't ferts my tank too often. Just whenever I remember since the tank is in my office. I do have pressurized CO2 though. Recently, I have been dosing ADA step 1 and 2 since I have that laying around. My friend gave it to me when he quits the hobby.

Here is a picture of the same tank and the old layout.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Anti iwagumi

thats alot of downoi and petite
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 03:33 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Nice tank gw! Your petite is top notch!

-Chris

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 03:50 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
damn gorgeous!..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode