Bacon5's 10 Gallon Emersed Plants *New Plants and Salamander Surprise!* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Bacon5's 10 Gallon Emersed Plants *New Plants and Salamander Surprise!*

Hey everybody, I recently decided to set up an emersed aquarium. It is just a standard 10 gallon with 3-4 inches of water with saran rap covering to keep the humidity. Also for lighting it is a Power Compact Fluorescent light bulb. The plants are planted in old ADA aquasoil in terra cotta pots. I hope to keep a journal to keep track of the growth of these plants and to get advice and suggestions ! Here is the list of plants and pics:

Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'
Cryptocoryne (Wendtii?)
HC
UG
Eleocharis 'Belem'
Ludwigia Atlantis
Nesea Triflora
New Plants:
Alternanthera Reineckii Mini
Purple Bamboo (Poaceae Sp.)
Beucephaladra
Anubias Nana 'Petite'

Pics as of 12/29/2014:

FTS

Ovreahead

Belem

Crypt. (Wendtii?) and Lindernia variegated

UG Strands

Ludwigia Atlantis and HC

Monte Carlo

Nesea Triflora and Hydroctle Species

Thanks for looking

Last edited by bacon5; 01-16-2015 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
I like this setup. I had a very similar setup when I tried emersed growing, except I bought dollar store pencil tubs and drove nails through it to allow passage of water, and then used miracle grow organic potting soil to let them grow. Was a fun little experiment, didn't try to grow all that much. Good luck!

Go Blue
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks! I will have to see about that water flow. Right now the soil is staying nice and moist though. Do you, or anyone else, know what a good photo period is for the emersed plants. I have a 9 hour photoperiod on my tank in order to prevent algae but that really isn't a problem with emersed plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
From what I can remember, the photoperiod can be much longer as you don't have to worry about algae. I want to say 12+ hours are actually good.

Go Blue
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Awesome thanks. Will change it today!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I took some pics yesterday after two weeks to add pics of the new additions (AR Mini , Bucephalandra, Purple Bamboo, and Anubias Nana 'Petite') and I think I can already see growth changes especially in the Monte Carlo and Lindernia Rotundifolia, but not so much in the other plants. Here are the pics:

Monte Carlo:

Eleocharis Belem:

UG:

Ludwigia Atlantis and HC:

Lindernia Rotundifolia and Bucephalandra and Crypt

AR Mini:

Hydroctyle Sp., Naesea Triflora, AR Mini:

Purple Bamboo from Lawrence So, thanks Lawrence!!!

Also a couple weeks ago my dad found and saved a salamander in the pool. I decided to put it in my emersed set up to takes some pictures while he happily swum around and wonder in the pots. Before I released it (away from the pool area) I ate dinner. When I came back I found out why this is called an Arboreal Salamander, it had climbed up the glass to the top of the aquarium! A few minutes later I put him back out. Here are some pics!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 05:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Awesome setup and the salamander is cool, I'd be tempted to keep a newt/salamander/frog if I did a setup like this
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylermn93 View Post
Awesome setup and the salamander is cool, I'd be tempted to keep a newt/salamander/frog if I did a setup like this
Thanks! Haha yeah I definitely was. However the "arboreal" aka climbing aspect was not very popular with my parents or younger siblings haha.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode