My 55's Transition to High Tech - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
amp
Planted Member

PTrader: (40/100%)
My 55's Transition to High Tech

This my current tank, or at least how it was 9 hours ago. Today I ripped it all down and rebuilt it. I changed out the gravel for aquariumplants.com substrate, which is quite loose and very dusty like many on here said it was. Very cloudy even after 3 big rinses and a re-emptying of the tank. It does seem to be holding the plants down well so far and is finally starting to clear up. Hopefully by tomorrow it will be clear enough to take new pics. I added back all of the plants that are in the top pic along with a few extras and I still have a few more to add once they show up. I'll also be changing the ghetto light setup over to a Catalina 4 x 54 T5 once that shows up. Monday I will add a pressurized CO2 system; I currently have all the parts I just have to get the tank filled.

Currently the only inhabitants are a few MTS that I picked out of the tank before I tore it down. The pleco is currently waiting for his new home to settle (a 50 gal rubbermaid), until I can find him a permanent home in someones pond. I plan to stock the 55 with some guppies, endlers, neons, maybe some boesemanis along the usual clean up crew of some ottos, corys and a small pleco.

More pics to come as things move along
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
amp
Planted Member

Its cleared up pretty good this morning.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
amp
Planted Member

The planting is almost done, just adding some Sunset Hygro & Guppy Grass that lauraleellbp is setting me up with. The lights from Catalina showed up a couple days a ago and they are just killer. Had the plants pearling 40 minutes after I put it on, I was shocked to see bubbles streaming from my swords and crypts so soon after adding the light. Im really in awe of the pearling, for years I just kept low tech tanks and while I had descent growth I never had pearling; it was just something I only saw in photos, but now its right in my tank

Finally got around to adding some fish too, 10 guppies & 5 ottos are now scurrying around the tank. Pics to come once planting is finished (for now).

EHEIM PIMP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CASCADE PIMP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 03:19 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
I like your scape a lot. The main piece of driftwood is super! However, the background is a little distracting for me. It takes away from the plants. Great job so far. Has your equipment come in yet?

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
amp
Planted Member

I feel the same way about the background, Im going to change it to either straight black or blue. All of my equipment has arrived. Im going to change out the TetraTec filter for an Eheim 2213 that should be here the end of the week. I also found out that the green hedge on the right side is non-aquatic (no wonder it hasnt grown) so that will be going in favor of some Ludwigia glandulosa and Limnophila aromatica. I'll post a pic tonight when I get home of the current scape.

EHEIM PIMP
CASCADE PIMP

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I think you should put a black background on there. It looks more natural than blue, and has a way of making colors pop out.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
The tank looks good, and the driftwood is very nice. It should start filling in quickly with the light and pressurized CO2. I look forward to updates.

-Dave
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
amp
Planted Member

Heres a new shot, I may try to get a better one later tonight

Heres a better shot, not so blurry.

EHEIM PIMP
CASCADE PIMP

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Yeah, I can't really swee waht plants you have coz the background has those plants.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 02:52 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Sorry if you already said this, but what is the plant in the background in the left corner?

Everything is growing already!

-Dave
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 08:41 PM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Looking better already! Don't you hate that when you buy a pretty plant just to find out it is non aquatic?

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
amp
Planted Member

Sure do, that stuff went from looking good to an algae magnet, at least it was only $2. Never grew anything but a bunch of roots, so I tossed it yesterday. The background also went bye bye, I have a black one here Ill put one once I get the back glass cleaned up some & I need to bust out the scraper on the back too. The tiger lotus is really starting to go crazy, didnt think it would become so consuming. May have to trim the bacopa pretty soon too. I also cut all of the immersed leaves off of the amazon sword too, lots of new growth since trimming. Have some new fauna too, a couple of days ago I found some guppy fry, looks like about 5-8 swimming around.

EHEIM PIMP
CASCADE PIMP

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
amp
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemonkey View Post
Sorry if you already said this, but what is the plant in the background in the left corner?

Everything is growing already!

-Dave
Sorry I didnt notice your post before, the back left is mainly Bacopa Caroliniana with some Ludwigia repens & sunset hygro scattered around.

EHEIM PIMP
CASCADE PIMP

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 01:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Oh wow!! It looks WAY better without the background. Off to a great start here!

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
amp
Planted Member

Thanks! Everything really starting to explode now, the chain swords are shooting runners all over the place, the tiger lotus has gotten huge and is sending up 3 to 4 surface leaves a day; I had to trim off 5 of them yesterday to make sure everything else gets enough light. Im hoping my Limnophila aromatica & Needle leaf Ludwigia show up soon, then the planting will be done. I think Im going to leave the background off for now and just clean up the back glass, I'lll post some more picts this week end.

EHEIM PIMP
CASCADE PIMP

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode