75 Gallon Planted Tank-"No Name Yet" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
75 Gallon Planted Tank-"No Name Yet"

Alright, this tank has now been set up for about one month. Everything is nicely rooted and growing out of control, as expected.

Specs:

Lighting-3 40watt t-8 bulbs, two in a standard shoplight and one in a standard flourescent strip.

Filtration-24x14x14" Planted sump. I am running an overflow box and a mag 7 return pump. The mech. filtration is a sponge on the overflow and a section of 4" pvc tube stuffed with filter floss stuck on the end of the overflow hose. Bioballs and wet/dry drip plate have been removed. Water level stays at about 10". It is planted with java moss, java ferns and salvinia.

Substrate-1" mineralized topsoil capped with about 2" pool filter sand. 2" Shultz aquatic soil in sump.

Plants-
Collected locally- Jungle val, salvinia natans, tiger lotus?, spadderdock lily, hygrophila polysperma?, random un-ID'd plants.
Purchased-Italian val, java fern, java moss, anubias nana, a random crypt, dwarf sag.

Fish- 9x Lemon tetra, 4x platy, 3x swamp darter, 3x cory, 2x albino white cloud.

PICTURES!

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by leodeal384; 12-22-2008 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to chadly
Love it! looks very natural. I wouldn't add any more plants. You prob could add a powerhead on the right side to get those vals to bend over a little more! Add some (naturally) rounded river rocks and a few long/flat peices of wood and you're set!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Join today!

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I added my two small driftwood pieces that have anubias and java fern on them. I don't want too much of a hardscape because I want to let the vals fill in the whole floorspace. I don't know why, but I love the look of overgrown tanks. The hygro that I have in the front right side will get very out of control hopefully. It was a nuisance in my 55...So I should love it in this tank.

Oh yeah, about the flow- I have a mag 7 on this tank and I am having problems with too much flow. I don't know if you can tell in the picture, but the outlet is pushing water between the center of the bunch of vals. Until they are rooted I cannot have much flow on them because they will uproot very easily.

Last edited by leodeal384; 12-14-2008 at 07:19 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright, I updated the first post instead of adding new pictures and leaving the old ones. I cleaned up the sump and put in some small driftwood with anubias and java ferns. Everything seems to be doing great and most of the plants have nice roots starting. I can see the hygrophila roots from the bottom and the 3 unknown lilies also have roots at the bottom.
The water is clearing up quite well...But, I am still waiting for a green water outbreak sometime in the next few weeks.

Let me know what you think!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

One Month! Water has a slight yellow tint from the soil, but I can deal with for now. All of the jungle vals have rooted firmly and the lilies have all put out a few leaves each. My platys, who hadn't bred in the 55 for a year, are now getting pregnant. I guess they wanted a change and are happy now.

Let me know what you think! Anyone!?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 12:36 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to SdJaCK&SaLLy
Looks great!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode