20g Journal, DIY High tech, Bolivian rams. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
20g Journal, DIY High tech, Bolivian rams.

Hey Guys,
thought I should start a journal of my tank as it is going to hopefully change over time and become a better looking tank

Anyways, the tank is a week and a half old at the moment. so it is new and hasnt had to much growth.

Plants:::: Wisteria, anubias, Vallisneria sp, Alternanthera sp (i think) and Spathiphyllum wallisi, Giant Ambulia and Brazilian micro sword.

Fish:::: 5 neon tetras, 2 rummy nose tetras. 2 white widow tetras, 7 platys and 2 bronze corys
got internal power head and lights run for 12 hours a day on a timer. weekly liquid fertiliser and 25% water change. along with plant trimming.
runs at 26 degrees celcius too, also has DIY co2 setup which diffuses through a party popper (sounds wierd i no) and bubbles up into the filter where it is misted.

anyways enjoy and all feedback more than welcome
oh and its only been going for a week and a half now so needs some time to plant out but i will update when i can and when things change.

first pic is the tank as it started and last ones are as it was on the 8th of december
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0668.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	10902  

Name:	100_0732.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	10903  

Name:	100_0740.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	10904  

Last edited by BENOLUX; 02-23-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Planted Member

When you say that the tank has been going for a week and a half, that means just the plants right... the fish were there before and the tank was cycled, correct?

If not, then that's a lot of fish to cycle a tank with... and you need to read up on cycling a tank.

Opaline gouramis grow to about 4-5 inches and two of them will be 10 inches of fish. If you go by the inch-per-gallon rule that's half the stocking level of your tank....

14 hours long photo period may be to long. Most people stay around 8-12 hours. I have a "low tech set-up" (no co2) so I only run a 9-10 hour photo period. If the tank is in a room that is a bright, (natural sunlight) this will have its affects also.

What kind of lights do you have and how many watts are the bulbs?

Oscar

Oscar

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Male Guppies, Dwarf Shrimp, Ramshorn snails. (since Mar 07)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
in storage (Oct 06 - Jul 09)

QT (since Jan 09)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry, i shoould have mentioned that the tank is about 4 years old and has previously had fish in it. i removed the convict cichlid that was in there and then drained it leaving water just to cover substrate during transport. i also have kept the same hard scape rocks and only got new DW, the filter and cartridge are used from the previous setup as to is the heater and anubias. Im hoping that this will provide enough bacteria to not have to cycle.

As for the lights not sure they could be about 28 watts i will have to check the tank is at my missus house atm so im only there about 3 times a week wen im there next ill try see. there is natural sunlight in the room but the blind is kept shut to keep that down dont want algae if i can avoid it lol.

ill have to keep an eye on the amount in there might have to do more regular changes i will see how it goes if it doesnt look good then i might have to remove the gourami and settle for some smaller tetras

thanks heaps for the tips and stuff, im hoping that i can learn everything only new at this planted stuff hey

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok today i bought myself a timer for the lighting.
Im thinking of on at 7 till 11, then off till 12:30 then back on till about
830 or 9.
so total of about 12.5 hours. i was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
have now had 2 water changes since planting, wisteria is growing well along with the other plants.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok well now that the tank is underway and going well id better start adding some pics. new substrate and more plants. more co2 (dual 2litre Bottle DIY) and hoping to get more growth. tank has been set up for just over a month roughly

I need some critique and opinions also, so any welcome.
also my lighting, i have 20 watts at the moment. it is roughly 18G tank so im just over 1 wpg and am thinking of adding another 15 to 20 watts. would this be the way to go or leave it as it is and see how i go.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

HAHA my tank must be really boring for no one to comment lol
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Love the red!

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 04:15 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
i like it all! its looks amazing with the red and green contrast breaking the space into 3 almost equal parts, appealing to my eye!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the comments guys. i love the red substrate combined with the red plants. I was thinking oftrimming them down and making them more bushy as they are middle plants not background plants.
I cant wait for the micro sword to cover some more of the front of the tank to will update this weekend wen im home.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok here is a small update added a new plant to the back right instead of the ambulia it was being destroyed by the platys. also got more microsword to help my carpet along.

sorry i cant post pics from a image hosting site at work and the net will not allow.

enjoy the pics if anyone can identidy the new plant on the back right please let me know!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1112.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	11843  

Name:	100_1096.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	11844  

Last edited by BENOLUX; 02-05-2009 at 07:51 AM.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok to make viewing easier here are the same pics as attached but through image hosting.

Again if anyone kows the plants on the back right please let me know.
Is it baby tears

All coments welcome

FTS

From the right side
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
what are you using for fertalizers? and how much lighting do you have, because i have a tank of similar size that i am trying to improve.
its looking pretty good.

"Turn on, Tune in, Drop out" Dr. Timothy Leary

WOODSTOCK 40 Years!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

VTkid, Im using a tetra plant liquid fertiliser once a week with every water change,
I currently have 20 watts of 18000K T8 bulb over it. Getting a T5 fitting soon and hoping to double my wattage to 40.
As for plant growth its great with 20 watts and 2 bottle of Co2 (2 liters each) it grows well fortnightly to weekly trimming.
I never thought it would work with 20 watts of light but it seems to be going great and no algea either which is great.

have you got a thread i can see of your tank!!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok everyone bought myself some T5 pl compacts. 36watts plus my 20 watts of T8 over the tank now, looks incredible, its amazing the change,
Hoping im producing enough c02 however to keep algae down. I had pearling within 30 minutes of the new ligh being on. hoping this is a good sign lol.

pics wen i can work out how to take them without them looking to bright lol
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 11:20 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
The plant looks similar to bacopa moneri. I like this scape, very pretty reds!

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode