20g Journal - Grass by the Rocks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
20g Journal - Grass by the Rocks

It has been about 2 years since I have attempt an actual aquascape on my aquariums. I believe the last one I did was with 50g aquarium but didn't turn out like I expected. But thats why this aspect of planted aquariums make the hobby challenging! Anyhow, it has been about a little less than a month since the AGA convention. After the convention, I told myself that I would like to focus more on aquascaping aspect of this hobby and apply the skills I have learned from others and from my own natural instinct.

After locating a growout tank for my plants, I've dedicated my 20g as my "aquascaping" aquarium. When deciding on how I wanted to aquascape this aquarium, I knew for sure that I wanted to give rocks a try since in the past I've only used driftwood in my aquariums, but with no intentions of creating a "Iwagumi" type layout. While thinking for a few minutes of how I wanted my scape to appeal, I finally came up with something that I actually like.

The next part was trying to think of a crazy name, since most aquascapes these days come with a "catchy" or "unique name". So I decided to do a google search on "Grassy Rocks" to see if there would be any other name associated with it, unofrunately there wasn't any that I liked. However, while looking through a guy's photography web site, I came across this photo and for some reason, it somewhat actually resembles my aquascape! I'd never though that I'd attempt an aquascape and actually be able to find a photo online that somehow looks like my original scape. You can see the photo below. Moreover, I decided to come up with the name "Grass by the Rocks" and hopefully you will like that name too!

Here is the photo that I found:
http://outside.danmitchell.org/image...ks20040418.jpg

Here are several photos of the initial hardscape and planting.

During the progress of this aquascape, I hope to bring out the bronze/reddish colors from the Blyxa sp. 'japonica' to stand out against the Eleocharis parvula.

I am also thinking about adding another plant that will fillin the left corner of the aquarium, possibly Stargrass?

Anyhow, this will be first actual aquascape that I will be attempting. This will be an on going journal and learning experience and I hope that I am able to learn as much as my aquascape progress and matures. In terms of the look of the aquascape, I believe I will be finished after making a few modifications.

I am opened to hear what you have to say!

Any questions? don't hesitate to ask! I'm nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 04:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
I can't wait to see this one fill in, John! Those rocks are really nice. What's the substrate?

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 04:25 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Those are some awesome rocks and great placement. Don't forget to post update photos. Thanks

Knowledge is power. Sharing knowledge is....freedom

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpodolan View Post
I can't wait to see this one fill in, John! Those rocks are really nice. What's the substrate?
Thanks Mike! The rocks were in several pieces and I was able put them together and create what you just saw.

The substrate is just plain oh Soilmaster Select Charcoal. I was going to get some ADA Aquasoil Amazonia but I decided to just use what I had on hand. Hopefully the plants will fill in nicely. I still have to add CO2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaVu View Post
Those are some awesome rocks and great placement. Don't forget to post update photos. Thanks
Thanks! I wanted to place them so that it will look right with the height of the tank and I think I placed them well. I had to use some rocks underneath to give the left rock more height. Overall I don't think it looks too bad.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 04:48 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
I like this idea! I am intrigued. IMO, leave out the stargrass.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 04:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdinh04 View Post
I still have to add CO2!

Are you running pressurized? Get that thing hooked up ASAP, so you can start growing this one out without any algae problems!

Mike

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
I like this idea! I am intrigued. IMO, leave out the stargrass.
Thanks keep checking back! I would still like to give the Stargrass a try to see how it will look. If its not something that I'd like, I will stick with what I originally had. But I do want to stick a third plant in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpodolan View Post
Are you running pressurized? Get that thing hooked up ASAP, so you can start growing this one out without any algae problems!
Yeah I will be running pressurized. I will probably head over to the pet store sometime tomorrow and get my CO2 tank swapped out for a filled one.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 06:59 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nice rocks! I would wonder about the stargrass too. It's a lovely plant but you have such a soft and open scale right now. The stargrass may lock you into the perception of a certain "size or distance" and it is bolder then the grasses you have already placed so well.....

Queensalmon
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 07:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Nice start and nice rocks as well.
I guess I'll go against the majority so far and say stargrass may actually look good in the back.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensalmon View Post
Nice rocks! I would wonder about the stargrass too. It's a lovely plant but you have such a soft and open scale right now. The stargrass may lock you into the perception of a certain "size or distance" and it is bolder then the grasses you have already placed so well.....

Queensalmon
Thank you! I was thinking about that too but it won't hurt if I tried it. Once I get it planted and growing into a bush, I will take pics and you guys can judge it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx© View Post
Nice start and nice rocks as well.
I guess I'll go against the majority so far and say stargrass may actually look good in the back.
Thanks Jinx, the rocks are my favorite hardscape materials at the moment!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode