Riparium Dreaming, A 20 Long Story - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Riparium Dreaming, A 20 Long Story

I have not started a journal on this tank because I didn't really have a plan for it and was just using it to see if I could grow some plants I've never had before. However, I recently settled on a direction.

I have been drooling over all the great ripariums I see here and finally decided to give it a go. I'm using my 20 long next to my desk which is also in my sun room with all of my terrestrial plants. It seemed like the perfect way to integrate the tank with the room. Wish me luck!

Blue = Changes

Tank and Stand:
-20 Long
-Standard metal stand modified to enclose equipment

Lighting:
-30" Finnex Planted+ ~15" above substrate
-2x Bayco 10.5" Brooder Clamp Light w/ Sylvania 23W 6500k Micro-mini CFLs ~35" above substrate

Filtration:

-NatGeo CF50 (Eheim Ecco) w/ seasoned bio-media from old PX360 and w/out the carbon pad
-2x AC20 w/ seasoned bio-media at bottom and clay pebbles for planting

CO2 System:
-aquariumplants.com carbon doser regulator (1 bubble/3 seconds)
-10# aluminum tank
-Sera Flore Active Reactor 500

Flora:

Underwater:
-Leopard Vals
-Ludwigia Repens
-Bacopa caroliniana
-Hygrophila polysperma
-Lobelia cardinalis
-Blyxa japonica
-S. repens
-DHG
-HC
-Anubias nana petite moved to the 75
-Hydrocotyle japan

Above water:
-Peace Lily
-Star Grass
-Ajuga "chocolate chip"
-Pilea cadierei "pan am"
-Pilea cadierei minima "aluminum"
-dwarf Palm
-wedelia trilobata
-HC
-Hydrocotyle japan
-Selaginella sp gold
-Saururus cernuus

Fauna:
-3x Amano Shrimp
-1x zebra nerite
-1x black mystery snail
-6x dwarf emerald rasboras
-8x corydorus pygmaeus

-1x White Cloud (I named him Marcus because he's the lone survivor of 9)
-Ramshorn snails - I actually like them

I still need to come up with a plan for more riparium plants. I will have a few of the clear plastic shower baskets and clay pebbles after Christmas. Any suggestion, as previously noted are more than welcome.Done

I made the hanger for the shop lights out of 3/4 black iron pipe. I left them raw because I prefer the look. I want to do something similar with 1/2" for the Planted+ risers to tie it in with the industial look. The enclosure for the equipment is made from pre-sanded 1/2" plywood stained and sealed with polycrylic.

I've been having hair algae issues since my CO2 went down a few weeks ago. The amanos can't keep up. Hopefully, the regulator will be back early next week. I reduced the lighting period to 6 hours and raised the light. I've also been dosing flourish, but I don't want to overdue it and kill the already struggling HC.

Anyway, too keep this from going on too long for a first post, on to the pics!

updated pic 1/25/2015

Pics from original post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Mr Aqua 7.5 Cube Paludarium | Zoo Med Nano Tall & Small Tall Vivariums
Fraternity of Dirt #168

Last edited by knm<><; 02-01-2015 at 01:30 AM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Welcome to the riparium addiction! It can grow fast and there are several plants to try! I started with house plants in the HOB and soon I had riparium baskets covering my 20g long until I ran out of room.. then I moved it over to my 55g ^^ Thinking of setting up a riparium on the 20g again with new plants.

I've used riparium planter baskets and trellis rafts from our pt riparium expert hydrophyte, I've also used plastic suction cupped shower baskets.. both have issues with suction cups failing and the plants slipping under water (especially the shower baskets). Plan to fix with some DIY "gardening wire" made from wire hangers shaped and then dipped in a plastic coating that will be water safe.

As for some plants to try here's what I'v tried and still grow well:
Pothos
Fittonia albivenis
Tradescantia zebrine (aka wondering jew)
Cyperus Umbrella Sedge
Aluminum plant (on raft)
Ruellia brittoniana 'Katie'
Spathiphyllum
Spathiphyllum "domino'
Dwarf Palm Neanthe Bella
Syngonium
Riccia (on raft)

I have, but have not put roots into tank water yet:
ivy
Anthurium

I also want to get my hands on:
mondo grass
spider grass
calla lilies
some ferns (tried maidenhair- was too sensitive and went into shock from transition)
japanes sweetflag grass from hydrophyte in the spring

I also transitioned some creeping jenny and tried to transition ludwigia (that one melted) for use on raft and emersed driftwood from tank.

Wondering jew grows as fast if not faster than pothos but its stem is not strong enough to hold itself up. If you want it to grow upwards try a training wire or even some fishing line to gently wrap around it to support it.

If you put pothos in the HOB be mindful of it roots not getting to long, it can clog the impeller and break the filter. If you plant the media side of the HOB jsut stuff some foam/sponge media on the top and cut some slits to stuff roots/bottom of stem in.

Pothos is probably the most tolerant of the plants listed to having wet leaves, moth others will have leaf melt if constancy wet from splashing hob or sinking into the water.

Be mindful what peace lilies you use, some can get over 3 feet tall! I have two from hydrophyte, one is "domino" and about 12", the other I cannot ID but it has stayed very small (its hidden by the Ruellia now).

You can check my 20g long thread or last few pages of the 55g thread (linked in signature) for a bit more on the plants and photo history of the tanks.

Look forward to seeing your progress with the riparium!!

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice, that's a good list to look into. I read your 20 Long journal, good stuff. I'm going to get a few plants after Christmas so I will probably be limited to Lowe's, although there is a large nursery nearby that might carry some more exotic specimens even in the winter months. I will have to check them out.

Side note: love the 12 gallon long. It's always been on my list yet I never pull the trigger. In retrospect, I probably should have gotten that before the 75 gallon.

|
Fraternity of Dirt #168

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Make sure to read care directions on plants or look up species for their needs. If it says "keep well drained"/"do not keep in standing water" it most likely won't do well in a riparium setup.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh, well, I was going to get a purple waffle, but that's exactly what it says... That is also what the pothos at Lowe's say though, so I wasn't sure if I should believe it.

|
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knm<>< View Post
Oh, well, I was going to get a purple waffle, but that's exactly what it says... That is also what the pothos at Lowe's say though, so I wasn't sure if I should believe it.
Ah forgot that one. It is on the 20g now, and another member (Vanish) also has it in their riparium for several months and even bloomed! Purple waffle does well in ripariums. It's often mis-sold as a fully aquatic plant but it's not.

~
~
~
~
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay, then I'll get one, and I misread what you wrote. The purple waffle says keep soil moist, do not keep in standing water. I'm wondering if that's just because the soil will mold.

|
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 04:21 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
glade to see another riparium setup. I have started to put one together.
great idea with the lights, this is where I am having the most problems.
hope you keep posting more pics! great so far
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I can't wait to see your journal too. We can help each other out along the way. What kind of lighting problems are you having, just figuring out how to suspend them? I had the black iron pipe parts in my garage and figured it was a good use for them. They were part of an entertainment center I built and then disassembled when I replaced it with an old dresser i repurposed.

|
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 01:50 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello! I believe you may know that, but it wouldn't hurt to give here my 2 cents :-)
Please, mind that some garden stores use lots of fertilizes to keep things shining before you bring them home. I've already killed several RCS at once when I placed a new plant from the store into my sort-of-a-riparium.
They got completely paralyzed and started dying one by one, until I removed the plant and placed in an air pump, then they recovered somehow (except the dead ones, of course)...

Another possible reason, I found after some reading, is that some plants release poisonous stuff through the roots when they break, and I remember very well that I did break them on purpose to fit in a little basket. After all, I never got to know the definite cause, but for sure the air stone saved they're lives.
Unfortunately I cannot identify the plant right now. I'm traveling and and I won't see my aquariums so soon.

If you want to check my tank...
Watch "Riparium Aquascape" on YouTube - Riparium Aquascape: http://youtu.be/rSG_o_MbOfo
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I bought a hemigraphis alternata "Snow White" from Lowe's today. It's looking a little rough but I think it will survive. Should I go ahead and plant it in the shower basket in the tank or acclimate it to water in a cup first?

It looks like there are a couple seperate plants in one pot, maybe I could try it both ways and see which one takes? What do y'all think?

|
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Picked up some more plants to try today. I also rigged up a shower caddy to put in the tank. I went to Lowe's and found some pipe hangers (I assume that's what they are) and used a couple zip ties to connect them to the caddy. My Plant!T clay pebbles arrived so I will plant some stuff tomorrow.

Plants:
Silver Lace Fern
Ajugo "Chocolate Chip" x2
Lemon Button Fern
Spider plant
Not sure on the ID of the thin feathery looking fern

Shower caddy project

|
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 10:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice show caddies! Look forward to seeing all the plants in.

~
~
~
~
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They had one aluminum plant in a mini garden store display. She wouldn't sell it to me

|
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry for the delay, I got roped into taking down Christmas decorations instead of messing with my tanks...she's lucky I love her.

Anyway, I took the peace lily out of the AC20 and put in two hemigraphis alternata "Snow White". I just ordered some pots and trellises from Hydrophyte last night so it's going to temporarily hang out in the crevice of my DW until the supplies arrive.

Also, Lowe's decided to restock their tropical plant section now that Christmas decorations have moved out, so I scored some good stuff including purple waffle and aluminum plant (of which I got two with multiple plantlets).

Some of these will end up beside the tank as I don't have enough room for everything in this tank.

Oh, also added 6 dwarf emerald rasboras. They won't let me take pics yet. The lone white cloud has taken a liking to them and schools with them now. I guess he was lonely.

PICS!

the spider plant decided to come up out of the pebbles last night, they are still buoyant.

Snow White is looking a little rough, it wasn't kept watered before I got it and was the last of the tropicals hanging around through Christmas.

Thanks for restocking and making me spend my money! I actually went to the store for supplies to make my terrarium background, not for plants...

|
Fraternity of Dirt #168

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode