So, I figured that it is finally time to start a bit of a photo journal for my ADA 45C. I originally set the tank up in July '08, and have been meaning to put a journal up on TPT since then, but I never really got around to it. So here goes:
Tank: ADA 45-C (45cm x 45cm x45cm)
Stand: Homemade, 2x4 frame wrapped in Oak plywood, 3 coats of clear poly (wanted a light stained look).
Lighting: 150W HQI Metal Halide, in a modified 500W halogen fixture (not the best solution, lots of grinding to rig this one up, but I have always been a little ghetto-fabulous) with electronic ballast.
CO2: Pressurized, with a Mazzei 384X injector, about 3 bubbles per second
Filtration: Magnum 350 combined with a Danner 500 gph external pump (to add pressure to make the Mazzei work properly).
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Malaya, Power Sand Special M.
Hardscape: Pinkish Grantie from Pikes Peak Region in CO, and ADA Old Black Wood
Eriocaulon sp. 'Thailand'
Pogostemon helferi (Downoi)
Java fern sp. 'Trident'
Bacopa sp. 'Colorata'
Anubias nana 'petite'
Poaceae sp. 'Purple Bamboo'
Used to be CRS, they moved to another tank, now a few guppies (my wife's choice, and my daughter likes the bright colors)
The idea was to have a tank that is intended to be viewed from two sides with no distinct "front." I used the reddish rocks and Malaya to add contrast to the green of the plants plants without adding red plants.
As for this pics, I apologize that I don't have a ton of pics working through the hardscape and such. But, I am a fiddler, the hardscape has changed so much from the time that I originally set it up that the earlier pics would be almost useless.
Here is a shot of the equipment, I am embarrassed by how messy it is, especially when so many people have such clean looking equipment set ups. In my defense, you try fitting all of that stuff into a stand that small! Messy or not, it works. The CO2 cylinder actually doesn't fit, it is on the other side of the wall. I ran a line through the wall.
Here is the tank as it was originally a few days after setup. At that time, I had mainly needle leaf java fern, with a bit of trident mixed in. The water was still a bit cloudy. Also, please excuse the equipment in the tank, it is too much of a pain to remove for routine shots. Left Side:
Here was the tank after about 2 months of growth in Late August:
Then, I did a rescape, nothing drastic, but moved some of the wood around, and took out the needle leaf java fern. The trident has grown enough that I don't need the needle leaf in there anymore. Here are current pics of the tank.
Wide Angle Shot:
Check out the Eriocaulon "Thailand", it is sending out flower buds like crazy, I hope that means it is happy...
Anyway, thanks for looking. Feel free to comment, whether you like the tank or not. I am always up for constructive criticism. Thanks for reading!