Greg's 45C "Journal" (Lots of pics) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (29/100%)
Greg's 45C "Journal" (Lots of pics)

So, I figured that it is finally time to start a bit of a photo journal for my ADA 45C. I originally set the tank up in July '08, and have been meaning to put a journal up on TPT since then, but I never really got around to it. So here goes:

Tank: ADA 45-C (45cm x 45cm x45cm)

Stand: Homemade, 2x4 frame wrapped in Oak plywood, 3 coats of clear poly (wanted a light stained look).

Lighting: 150W HQI Metal Halide, in a modified 500W halogen fixture (not the best solution, lots of grinding to rig this one up, but I have always been a little ghetto-fabulous) with electronic ballast.

CO2: Pressurized, with a Mazzei 384X injector, about 3 bubbles per second
Filtration: Magnum 350 combined with a Danner 500 gph external pump (to add pressure to make the Mazzei work properly).

Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Malaya, Power Sand Special M.

Hardscape: Pinkish Grantie from Pikes Peak Region in CO, and ADA Old Black Wood

Plants:
Current Plants:
Utricularia graminifolia
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Eriocaulon sp. 'Thailand'
Pogostemon helferi (Downoi)
Blyxa japonica
Java fern sp. 'Trident'
Bolbitis heudelotii
Bacopa sp. 'Colorata'
Anubias nana
Anubias nana 'petite'
Poaceae sp. 'Purple Bamboo'

Inhabitants:
Used to be CRS, they moved to another tank, now a few guppies (my wife's choice, and my daughter likes the bright colors)

The concept:
The idea was to have a tank that is intended to be viewed from two sides with no distinct "front." I used the reddish rocks and Malaya to add contrast to the green of the plants plants without adding red plants.

As for this pics, I apologize that I don't have a ton of pics working through the hardscape and such. But, I am a fiddler, the hardscape has changed so much from the time that I originally set it up that the earlier pics would be almost useless.

Here is a shot of the equipment, I am embarrassed by how messy it is, especially when so many people have such clean looking equipment set ups. In my defense, you try fitting all of that stuff into a stand that small! Messy or not, it works. The CO2 cylinder actually doesn't fit, it is on the other side of the wall. I ran a line through the wall.

Here is the tank as it was originally a few days after setup. At that time, I had mainly needle leaf java fern, with a bit of trident mixed in. The water was still a bit cloudy. Also, please excuse the equipment in the tank, it is too much of a pain to remove for routine shots. Left Side:

Right Side:

Here was the tank after about 2 months of growth in Late August:

Then, I did a rescape, nothing drastic, but moved some of the wood around, and took out the needle leaf java fern. The trident has grown enough that I don't need the needle leaf in there anymore. Here are current pics of the tank.

Wide Angle Shot:

Check out the Eriocaulon "Thailand", it is sending out flower buds like crazy, I hope that means it is happy...

Anyway, thanks for looking. Feel free to comment, whether you like the tank or not. I am always up for constructive criticism. Thanks for reading!

Best,
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
That looks wonderful. I'd have liked some more ground cover but the tank works very well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photography, not related to aquaria)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 07:54 PM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
Very nice set-up and scape! I like the UG spilling out through the rocks in front. I love that size of tank

What color temp bulb is that?

No Pimp Club.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Banned

PTrader: (21/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roybot73 View Post
Very nice set-up and scape! I like the UG spilling out through the rocks in front. I love that size of tank

I'd like to know as well, spits out some nice color

Suspended for 30 days for being terrible to other members
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 01:01 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
One word: Fantastic!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 01:23 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Very well done. It looks very healthy.

-Chris

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 02:50 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I like that you placed the tank in a corner to make it viewable from two sides, and that the scape is kind of, "spilling" out from the back corner.

And I think the bright guppy colors will look great in your tank
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
NIce!

I really like this tank!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Very nice tank you have. It seems lie the stand is a little low? no?

What is that nice carpet plant in between the rocks.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roybot73 View Post

The bulb is a Catalina Aquarium 10,000K 150 Watt HQI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
That looks wonderful. I'd have liked some more ground cover but the tank works very well.
Yeah, the idea is to have the foreground just be the sand. The UG patch used to be a lot larger in size and spill into the sand more. It will regrow. There was also more HC in both corners, but I needed a place for the Erio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief View Post
Very nice tank you have. It seems lie the stand is a little low? no?

What is that nice carpet plant in between the rocks.
Good observation, yeah, it is a bit low. The idea was to have it be more easily viewable from the top. But, I agree with you, I should have made the stand taller. Perhaps at some point I will make a new stand for it.

That plant is UG, Utricularia graminifolia.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Sand or HC?

I have a question for you all: Should I replace the sand foreground with HC or keep it? Originally, I thought that the thin sand foreground would add drama to the tank because it would make the jump from the foreground up to the rocks seem higher. Does it make it look too bare though? HC might make the tank seem more "lush" and grown in. Let me know what you think.

Not too much other news on this tank right now, I divided the Erio 'Thailand', and added a few more Erios to the tank (Erio (likely Trithuria) Australia sp. red, Erio Australia Type II, and Erio sp. China)

Greg
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 06:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
Personally I like the sand up front especially with the UG spilling over the rock like that. I think the contrast of the light green UG over the rocks would be lost if the foreground was HC covered... If anything I'd let the UG do its thing and grow in.

Either way the tank is fantastic. Its really refreshing with the lighter rocks and Malaya soil and blackwood providing the dark contrast. Quite the opposite of what I normally see around.

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your comments.
That's a really good point, the UG and HC are almost exactly the same color. The only difference would be the textural contrast, which may show up in person better than in pics...maybe glosso, it's a bit darker green.

The only reason that I do not want to let the UG grown down there is becasue it is too tall. The UG would grow an inch or so up the front of the rocks, and I am afraid that some of the height transition from the front to the rocks would be lost.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I would keep the sand forground. carpets covering the whole tank works in a lot of instances. In this instance... less is more, and I think your original intention has been accomplished more than you know. You stare at the tank every day and think you didn't achieve what you wanted, but I just saw the tank for the first time, and I'll put my vote in for the "planting the sandy area would take something AWAY from the scape as it is" ticket. :-)

The ONLY thing I could say about the lower area of the tank is that you have three similarly colored "spots" of plant growth, which all amount to roughly the same size (in pictures) the erio being the third, and they're all so equally spaced... I think if you maybe let the UG hang over that large rock a bit more on the left where the rock is bare for the most part, it would solve the "too much symetry" look while at the same time helping to soften the large rock a bit. Plus, as far as the drop down effect you wanted, the shade created by the over hanging UG would actually enhance this I think.

just my $.02 and probably not worth too much as I would love to design a tank this nice ;-)
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Great observation jargonchipmunk!!! I would never have seen that. I am letting the UG grow up above the larger rock on the left, but I had never thought about the 3 spots being so similar, and so similarly spaced. I am really going to give some thought to that over the next few days/weeks.

Thank you as well for your compliments, you are too kind. It's good to see someone else from KC on the forums too.

Greg

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode