dekstr's 55 gallon tank... I'm back (kind of)! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
dekstr's 55 gallon tank... I'm back (kind of)!

Hi! I'm back after a long break from the planted tank world due to non-planted tank business.

I thought the original thread of my 55 gallon tank would be too old to revive... so here's a new thread for the same tank!

- This fish tank is about one year old from the time of setup
- thanks for help from everyone here, the tank has been very stable with healthy fish and steady plant growth
- co2 running at a low rate (originally cranked really high but plants grew too fast and I had no time to maintain)
- 50% water change once a month
- haven't touched the layout or uprooted plants for almost half a year
- slightly neglected, left the plants to grow on their own, minimal trimming and uprooting
- kind of dirty but zero algae other than dot algae on the glass
- sold a lot of my more demanding, fast-growing plants, I only keep the slower growing plants
- today I pulled out the massive crypt (sp?) that overtook my tank

Enjoy a few pictures!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 04:35 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Hey welcome back!

The tank looks great, and that Crypt (wendtii 'red'?) looks fantastic!

You still keeping Asian rummynoses? I saw some in person a few weeks ago and was actually thinking about ya LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 05:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
welcome back dekstr... great tank for the low maintenance you describe. how much light do you have over it?

i'm going med. light over my new tank because i want to cut down on the maintenance too. gonna select slow growing plants and/or minimal maintenance plants to make things easy.

Again, good to have you back. hope your non planted tank business went smoothly!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

hi laura!!

glad to see you're still around, with a couple thousand more posts and with membership!

Yeah my rummynoses are doing great. They are adult-sized since I bought them a year ago, around 2-2.5"! Almost all the fish are adult sized now... hard getting a picture of them with my point and shoot digital camera. My friend took a lot of shots from her DSLR canon rebel, but I haven't seen those pictures.

I'll try post more pictures later on, tank isn't looking the prettiest right now but it's very healthy and stable so that's good.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 09:14 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dekstr, very nice tank! I look forward to more photos.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogoo View Post
welcome back dekstr... great tank for the low maintenance you describe. how much light do you have over it?

i'm going med. light over my new tank because i want to cut down on the maintenance too. gonna select slow growing plants and/or minimal maintenance plants to make things easy.

Again, good to have you back. hope your non planted tank business went smoothly!
For lighting, I have:
two 55w compact fluorescent bulbs, 5500k (the DIY kit from ahsupply.com)
two 28w coralife t5 normal output fluorescent, 6700k

55+55+28+28 makes 166 watts, but probably less than that in real life as I have a glass cover over the tank and the bulbs are more than 1 year old.

I slowly turned down my c02 from 1-2 bubble per second to about just under 1 bubble per second. My drop checker never really worked and I never really tested pH / KH. The photoperiod is about 9 hours a day, the solenoid to the c02 is attached the lighting timer. I haven't tampered with any of the (light amount, photoperiod, fertilizer dosage, water change schedule, water temp, c02 amount) settings for about half a year now, other than to tweak the c02 levels because of the regulator goes slightly off every once in a while.

I have coffee anubias, java fern and that big crypt plant as the slow growers. I just pulled out the crypt plant yesterday, selling it off because it's too large for my tank.

The frogbit and duckweed take over the tank every 3 weeks, and it really dims the light once it covers the entire surface.

I started off with 3-4 leaves of java fern 1 year ago, and now I probably have about 6 to 8 separate plants. I gave away about three or four massive java fern bunches already too.

With c02, the growth is tremendous even at lower levels compared to when I had no c02.

I will say that most plants adjust well to almost any conditions, from high to low light if you give them time to adjust and keep every factor very stable.

Good luck on your tank, looking forward to it.

As for non-planted tank business, just swamped with school and work and volunteer and extra-curriculars, so the planted tank business has taken a backseat...

but I hope it'll pick up after Christmas when I go on my 8 month office internship.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinrobinjade View Post
Dekstr, very nice tank! I look forward to more photos.
Thanks! I'll post more photos in a few weeks.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here's a quick video I took of the tank:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVX9nrjQuX4

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode