My 5 gall mish-mash dirt tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 5 gall mish-mash dirt tank

Waiting for the tank and equipment to arrive . This is how my desk looks in preparation for said arrivalClick image for larger version

Name:	waiting for the aquarium.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	403705

the fraternity of dirt #169
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

mish-mash

everything green on my desk is locally sourced and I use in my kokedama/wabi's some of this I will experiment with at waterline level in the tank when it arrives

Bump: b.t.w this forum/site is the best - I have scoured the internet and for overall knowledge and usefulness nothing comes close - thanks to all participants , you are most appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	koke1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	403713  

Name:	koke2.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	403721  

Attached Images

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

mish-mash

the tank I am going to use is apx 5 gall and I am going to use this shrimp/plant soil and cap it with small grain black sand/gravel. For lighting I am going low tech with 15 watt CFL's x2 - I will also dose with excel and other ready mixed ferts - any Are there reasons why this will not work ?? please let me know..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cap.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	403793  

Attached Images

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

done a few more W-K's while I am waiting

Bump: does that look like lunch or what

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Generally speaking, most on here who do CFL in smaller tanks find that one x 13W CFL works on a 10g tank or smaller. This level grows many plants and avoids much of any algae. You may be able to raise that because of not having it full of water ?
Nice variety of plants.

Bulb position is important: Vertical position, typically in a "Brooder" lamp gives that much light.
A horizontal position of the bulb will reduce the light level by almost 50%.
They have not been out for this whole year...but so far reviews are good.
http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Stingray-Aquarium-Light-48-Inch/dp/B00NAFQ99I/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1420100203&sr=1-1&keywords=stingray+LED+lighthttp://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-150-W...-100354511-_-N

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Last edited by Raymond S.; 01-01-2015 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Bulb position is important:
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

THANKYOU Raymond - that is exactly the kind of practical advise I was hoping to get here.
The balance of light seems one of the most important . I have dirted my tank and now await the cap and inhabitants

Bump:

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by haytch View Post
everything green on my desk is locally sourced and I use in my kokedama/wabi's some of this I will experiment with at waterline level in the tank when it arrives

Bump: b.t.w this forum/site is the best - I have scoured the internet and for overall knowledge and usefulness nothing comes close - thanks to all participants , you are most appreciated
Beautiful plants! What's this confierous one in the middle in the blue and white bowl?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thankyou NotCousteau - that coniferous one in the blue saucer is just a cutting I am trying to root in the W-K ball . I guess that makes it more of a kokedama and like most of my dabbling is experimental so we shall see what happens. I am not sure of its name so please forgive my ignorance .

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

finally got some plants into my jungle tank and got 3 pea puffers that you can just see below the thermometer - pretty chuffed that all the plants seem to be doing well. I have stopped using the easycarbo and profito ferts for now as I am scared of stressing the puffers which I got 3 days ago . Also have 5 cherry reds in there somewhere !! Apologies for the limited photo skills - they need to grow with my aquarium skills. Does anyone have any suggestions re feeding the puffers ? I have been putting frozen bloodworms in but I dont see the puffers actually eat them so I will try brine shrimp if the little guys dont starve before they arrive. Anyhow - so far so good . Suggestions please
[IMG]C:\Documents anC:\Documents and Settings\haytch\Desktop\puffers 4.jpg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	puffers 4.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	422578  

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 01:30 PM
Planted Member

Caution! Your puffers will probably hunt down and eat your shrimp. Puffers prefer live food, are semi aggressive, and IME are best kept alone. I have had success with puffers in a small tank, but it had an infestation of ramshorn snails which provided the staple food source for them.

Oh, and eh are extremely intelligent for a fish, especially one so small. It's hard too fool these guys into eating dead things, especially if they are wild caught.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswerIs42 View Post
Caution! Your puffers will probably hunt down and eat your shrimp. Puffers prefer live food, are semi aggressive, and IME are best kept alone. I have had success with puffers in a small tank, but it had an infestation of ramshorn snails which provided the staple food source for them.

Oh, and eh are extremely intelligent for a fish, especially one so small. It's hard too fool these guys into eating dead things, especially if they are wild caught.
Yea 42 - one of the reasons I got the puffers is because I used to keep their marine cousins and liked their inquisitive nature . These freshwater puffers, miniscule, but the same personality. I am going to hatch brine shrimp and hope that works for food . They have already dispatched several snails and a few cherries. Will live brine shrimp work ?? thanks haytch

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 02:34 PM
Planted Member

Live baby brine shrimp may work, but might be too small. I'd be interested to hear your results.
I used to feed mine small earthworms from the garden and white worms from my compost once in a while (not too often though, as all that biomass will spike your ammonia). They would go crazy for them. I think they liked the wriggling.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnswerIs42 View Post
Live baby brine shrimp may work, but might be too small. I'd be interested to hear your results.
I used to feed mine small earthworms from the garden and white worms from my compost once in a while (not too often though, as all that biomass will spike your ammonia). They would go crazy for them. I think they liked the wriggling.
I definitely get the wriggling part - my sister just bought home a present of two "otto's" or catfish . I am not familiar with them but they wriggle and the puffers seem fascinated !! I think they will soon launch an attack all part of the experiment

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

update - all plants growing ! Pea puffers thrive

C:\Documents and Settings\haytch\My Documents\My Pictures\newpuffr\DSCF0743.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/bA...w169-h207-p-no small foto for small fish

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
hey haytch, welcome aboard. I kept DP's for a few years. Once they mature (the male will get a stripe on his belly), you'll have to separate the males or it'll be WWIII:-) I'd advise setting up a separate nano just to raise snails. I fed them mostly blackworms (Lumbriculus variegatus) which you can culture in the refrigerator in some tupperware. Good luck!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode