Celestial Pearl Danio 5G Contour - Zoid's Journal (\/) (,;;,) (\/) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Earth Prime, Sol System, Milky Way, Horrible Gelatinous Monster
Celestial Pearl Danio 5G Contour - Zoid's Journal (\/) (,;;,) (\/)

Recently I bought a Marineland Contour 5G and decided to make my dream CPD/Galaxy Rasbora Tank. Bought some Mopani that's still floating after a week submerged in the tub. =[

The plants Ill be adding include:
Dwarf Hairgrass from my EBI thats not doing so well.
Some offshoots of my Dwarf Sag.
Trimmings of my Rotala Wallichi.
An anubias nana clump I'm separating from my 20.
Some Willow moss and java fern tied onto Mopani.

The tank. Ill be removing that weird rear filter setup to get some more space (plus i don't like the large flower opening that's at the bottom right intake). I'm going to put in an Aquaclear 20 and seed it from my 20 long.

Babies in quarantine don't know how many I can put in the 5G but i plan to make it heavily planted like my 7.9 and 20)

I wanted to get my third Finnex Planted Plus but they disappeared from Canada. Does anyone know of a good led light brand that has 660nm reds? (10 inches long)

I hope to update you guys in the coming weeks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zoidborg; 12-19-2014 at 03:29 AM. Reason: spell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Earth Prime, Sol System, Milky Way, Horrible Gelatinous Monster
Despite Finnex disappearing from Canada I was able to source a Planted+ Clip light from amazon! Wooooooop It will be here on Wednesday, I cant wait!

10 Days and my Mopani is still floating grrrrrrr.

Aquaclear 20 is cycling my tank with some biomax i kept in my fluval 206 last month for this tank =] Pictures coming once my Finnex arrives!

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thumbs up

It's set up! My CPD's have been in quarantine for 2 weeks and it's time for their new home!

The Aquaclear 20 Is doing wonders, it cleared up my tank within an hour =o.
The Finnex Clamplight came today and its 3-4x brighter than the stock light.

TANK SPECS:
Marineland Contour 5 gallon (With back filter and wall removed)
Aquaclear 20 (with Fluval Biomax Rings from my 20 g)
Eheim Jager 50w (could not for the life of me find a 25w so this will do) Set to 24c and slowly inching its way down from 25.5c)
Finnex Planted+ Cliplight
Azoo Bubbler (for back left corner, has not arrived)

AQUASCAPE:
Cichlid Stone Small (This is my Amano Shrimps home)
Fluval Plant Stratum
Mopani Driftwood (Would not sink, I drilled holes into it and a piece of plexi and zip tied it down.)

FAUNA:
10 Celestial Pearl Danio aka Galaxy Rasbora
4 Pygmy Corydoras
2 Adult Amano Shrimp

PLANTS:
Eleocharis Acicularis (Dwarf Hairgrass)
Sagittaria Subulata (Dwarf Sagitarria)
Anubias Nana
Rotala (sp. Wallichii)
Rotala (sp. Nanjenshan)
Willow Moss (that im currently tying to small rocks)
Moss Ball

Full tank shot, hope this fills in soon, otherwise I may have to add in a sword or some java fern.

I wish I had the patience to spread these out a bit, but I don't.

Dwarf Sag will do a great job of covering the heater once it grows up.

The Celestial Pearl Danios love to swim around the matterhorn lol (Wish I had a better Camera to catch these guys still)

Any tips on keeping CPDS? I want to add some more of them as my lfs has plenty, they are about 0.5 inches and only cost $2 each. Also some other species of shrimp to compliment the tank or some plant ideas would be appreciated.

Note: I do have 70+ Ultra Red Cherry Shrimp. I could transfer a few over but I wanted to try a new colour out. Ideally some Crystals but that would mean goodbye to the Amano. =[

Last edited by Zoidborg; 12-19-2014 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Spelling

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 01:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
CPD will spawn pretty readily but the eggs often get eaten. Also be careful or at least aware that they may hunt small baby shrimp. They may be fine for a while but I've had a few different types of fish now that are fine with shrimp for a long time but once they get "the taste" it can turn into more of a problem.

Awesome fish, and not terribly hard to breed. You can provide moss or some other dense material for them to spawn in and then remove it and raise the fry separately.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the info! Ill definitely be adding more moss. I've made 5 small Moss covered pebbles that'll take quite a bit of time to grow. So Ill hold off on adding more shrimp until the tank is densely planted, I want to at least let any new shrimp species have a fighting chance against the cpds.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 08:54 PM
Planted Member

Cover your filter intake! Make it shrimp and CPD safe!

Also, CPD prefer cooler temps!

Why do you say that crystals would mean goodbye amano?

Only bad things happen quickly.
A little allot is better than allot a little.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My filter intake is stuffed with a course foam it can't be seen in pics because it's black, thanks though.

As for my Amano's even though they breed in brackish water I have been rather successful in breeding them in my 4 tanks I started with 7 but have more than 16 now I wouldn't want some ugly cross breed neos... Unless I'm mistaken about Amano and crystal compatibility.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Planted Member

Amano are in a group of their own. They will not cross with neo's.

Enjoy your shrimp!

Btw that's pretty impressive about breeding your amano. What are your water parameters? Pics?

Ps. Tank looks great!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrm130 View Post
Btw that's pretty impressive about breeding your amano. What are your water parameters? Pics?
!
+1. neos,crystals and amanos don't interbreed.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hurray! for Neos!

All 4 of my tanks are the same parameters. between 225-250 tds Steady 9 GH and 2 KH and 6.8 PH.

I've only ever seen 1 Amano fry they hide real good in all my tanks, I just know I have more than I started with.

I will continue to dream about Crystals but I'm not ready to go for extreme measures to get the right GH and KH for them quite yet.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update:

I added a better prefilter because the old one was restricting flow. I used one of those Fluval Edge prefilters. Im guessing ill have to change/squeeze that every so often right?
Also added in the Azoo Oxygen Plus Bio-Filters that's running off my Fusion pump.

Here are some pics of those extra Amanos I've got (these are the youngest ones I could find, all the other ones are full size) and the very pregnant mother.
Sorry for the poor zoom quality, iPhone5 =(

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Notes: upon closer inspections it appears I have some ghost shrimp along with my amanos... d'oh

Almost 2 weeks later and the plants have grown well!

The Finnex clip light is awesome! The Rotala nenjenshen and Wallichi have almost doubled in height and the willow moss stones are already sprouting. Also Frogbit has been spreading fast!

The hairgrass has done nothing so far, perhaps the light is not reaching that deep? Perhaps I might have to take some of you guys suggestions in planting the stems separately.

The CPDS and Pygmy Corycats are doing great too!
Here's a pic of some of the CPDS of which are growing and colouring up pretty nice.

Last edited by Zoidborg; 01-06-2015 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Notes.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Algae Grower

Very nice!

The Fluval Prefilter sponge for my 12G gets squeezed every other weekend (sometimes once per month). The shrimp should pick all the rubbish out of the sponge which is fun to watch

I'm surprised to see how skinny your CPDs are!! Not sure if mine are fat or what but it's interesting to see how different their shapes are!

Keep us updated... lots of pics... the more the merrier! Really nice tank you've got...

|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode