sykogngsta's 10 Gallon RCS Tank Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
sykogngsta's 10 Gallon RCS Tank Journal

I recently moved some fish around to some of my other tank from my 10 gallon tank and decided to convert it into a planted shrimp tank.

The tank is a 10 gallon tank bought from petsmart about a year ago with a HOB filter with some cotton gauze covering the filter intake so no shrimp get sucked up.

I changed the substrate from plain gravel to some eco complete so hopefully my plants like that more.

I had two incandecent lightbulbs on a light fixture before this but I didnt like it becuase the lights were sort of yellowish, so I am putting my desk lamp over the tank right now. Right now there is about 3 Watts of light per gallon for this tank.

I added in all the plants to the tank about a week ago and some of it is sort of growing in...

I found this piece of driftwood at my LFS and thought it looke sorta neat. Does it need to be moved around anywhere? Would it be better in the center or is it fine where it is right now?

Here is what is is my tank right now:

Flora:

Dwarf Saggitaria
Java Fern
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Anubias coffelia or barteri (im not sure which one, can anyone tell me which one it is?)
Red Tiger Lotus (its very tiny now and is behind the driftwood so you cant see it)
Aponogeton natans? (again it is very small and is behind the driftwood, it sprouted from a seed that was made by a plant in my 29 gal tank)
Amazon Sword (very small)
Java moss (tied to the driftwood and a chunk floating around for the shrimp)
Hygrophila angustifolia

I am planning on taking out the Crypt since it is way too big for the tank and I will fill in the empty space with something else, but im not sure yet...Any ideas?

Fauna:
4 Red Cherry Shrimp (1 male 3 female)

Two of the females recently became berried last Sunday, so hopefully I will have a lot more shrimp filling in the tank pretty soon!

Two pictures of the Shrimp:

My male

and one of my berried females

I do not have any CO2 injection right now, but I am considering setting up a DIY CO2 system. Would this be safe for the shrimp or would it be better if I jsut did nto inject any CO2 into the tank? Also I am not dosing any ferts right now because im not too sur eif it will be safe for the shrimp or not.

That is it for now with this set up and hopefully some of the plants will grow in and stuff. I will gladly take any feedback about my new setup so it can be improved in any way.

Last edited by sykogngsta; 11-29-2008 at 10:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
I've done DIY CO2 with shrimp before and they were fine, but I don't think CO2 would be exactly necessary for your setup because many of the plants you have will do well without it.

The tank looks good! It should look even better once it fills in, especially the moss on the driftwood. I wouldn't move the wood to the middle because it may be too symmetrical although you can test it out and see which you like better.

The java moss hangin around the crypt might bother you after a while seems to always get sucked onto the prefilter stuff.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 03:18 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Is the apogeton behind the wood on the left side?...If not I was going to suggest putting a tall plant there....nonetheless looks really nice

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquasox View Post
Is the apogeton behind the wood on the left side?...If not I was going to suggest putting a tall plant there....nonetheless looks really nice
There is a tiger lotus that is very small right now on the left side, behind teh driftwood. I was hoping that it would grow larger and fill in taht empty space. The aponogeton is on teh right hand saide of the driftwood right now. Would it be better if I switched them, or planted them somewhere else in the tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterman View Post
I've done DIY CO2 with shrimp before and they were fine, but I don't think CO2 would be exactly necessary for your setup because many of the plants you have will do well without it.

The tank looks good! It should look even better once it fills in, especially the moss on the driftwood. I wouldn't move the wood to the middle because it may be too symmetrical although you can test it out and see which you like better.

The java moss hangin around the crypt might bother you after a while seems to always get sucked onto the prefilter stuff.
I was thinking of adding CO2 because I thought that it would help the plants grow better, but I guess they are fine without any added CO2. When I first set up the tank, I did put the driftwood in different positions but I decided taht It looked better on the left hand side. I just wanted to know what other people thought about the positioning of the wood.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 07:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Maybe let both plants grow out a bit before you decide that you want to move them. If you wanted to add a plant on the left corner behind the wood I think Vallisineria nana would look nice....also if your sagittaria starts growing tall it might also look nice there, but it wouldn't contrast with the anubias as much as the vals.

I really like your driftwood along and its placement in the tank
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquasox View Post
Maybe let both plants grow out a bit before you decide that you want to move them. If you wanted to add a plant on the left corner behind the wood I think Vallisineria nana would look nice....also if your sagittaria starts growing tall it might also look nice there, but it wouldn't contrast with the anubias as much as the vals.

I really like your driftwood along and its placement in the tank
Thanks! I might try adding some vallisneria to the tank sometime when I have teh time to buy some, but i havent had much luck keeping it alive and having it grow in very well in my otehr tanks. I guess i could always try again to see if it works in this tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode