20H aquascape journal | otocinclus paradise - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
20H aquascape journal | otocinclus paradise

hi everyone! as you may have guessed, I collect rare/interesting variations of otocinclus catfish (and nano sized catfish in general). this is where they live:

uhhhhh... {cough} went to hawaii for a week, & someone miiiight've forgotten to actually plug in the light timer. oops. {/cough}

after a couple days with the magical UV sterilizer on & a good trimming, I got this:

better. (ignore the weird contrast on the image, idk what was up with my phone)

however, I wasn't really pleased with the overall harmony of the plants and how it came together, so right now I am working towards a nice harmony of texture and color. I'm not going for the Dutch style per se, but I am trying for a more harmonic "garden" feel over the classic jungle look. not sure how to put it in words.

anyways, I gave away a bunch of plants to coworkers and traded for some others. here's my new start:

this is after a little half-hearted trim & the installation of that purple camboba in the back. the picture was taken a couple weeks ago as I've gotten lazy on my tank maintenance as of late (working closing shift 100% of the time is agony).

I'm still not really pleased with it. did a big trim yesterday and pulled most of my rotala rotundifolia in order to make more room for my rotala sp. h'ra, which I moved back in order to give my hygrophilia araguaia more room to carpet. I've got some plants floating right now that I'll plant & do another tank update in a few days after they settle in. here's a couple other pictures:

my zebra oto (Otocinclus cocama) & my "tigre" oto (Hypoptopoma sp. "Tigre") hanging out on my oriental sword.

the same oriental sword with some fauna photobombs.

------

specs for those interested:

20H tank
Fluval Aquaclear 30 filter
Via Aqua heater
24" Finnex planted+
Sodastream CO2 mod with spiral CO2 diffuser/bubble counter

I use nilocg's fertilizer blend (which is awesome, thanks man) & also dose with Flourish Iron.

I'm seriously considering upgrading to the Aquaclear 50... the turnover rate of the 30 is really just not cutting it :/ opinions?

also I'll be asking "santa" for a solenoid valve for Christmas. anyone have any specific suggestions?

thanks for reading!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I liked I looking all overgrown, I WISH my tank was like that. But i am just starting out.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 03:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
what are the other fish in the tank? love zebra otos

Tags
otocinclus, tank journal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode