2.5gallon Yellow Neocaridina Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
2.5gallon Yellow Neocaridina Tank

3 weeks ago I started a nano yellow neocaridina tank.

the first day, before the light came in. The white sponge is some ehfisynth from my 55gallon to boost the cycle, also put in the same ehfisynth into the filter.

about a week after the tank was set up

It started off with just 1 rock and the HC planted in small patches. I had a Jebo 13 watt light which was insufficient for the HC cause the HC started browning. Since then I had upgraded to a Coralife 2x9 PC fixture and that seems to have been doing the trick. Gravel is 75%eco complete with some black estes gravel(eco complete was a left over from my main tank and wasn't enough to get the depth I wanted.) I'm running a Azoo palm filter with cut up sponge in the intake so fry won't get sucked in and DIY CO2 to supplement the plants. I started getting tired of the aquascape so I rescaped it entirely with new rocks from another forum member.

I floated the HC for a few days so that it could rebound and then painstakingly planted 1 stem at a time as most suggest for best growth. Also I added this stem plant that was sent as a surprise from another forum member's plant package. Also added a anubias nana petite. If you could ID the plant that would be great.

Without further ado here are pictures of the rescaped tank.

I'm dosing the flourish line with a medicine dropper to make sure the doses are precise. The petite had a little bit of BBA but I dipped it in a excel solution before planting it in the rocks and since then the BBA had reddened and is starting to die off.

I'm really happy with the current layout and can't wait for the HC to fill it.

Oh and as for the shrimp they're living in a breeding net in my 55gallon till the tank is fully cycled. The tank should be ready for the shrimp within a few days, it's been at 0ppm ammonia 0ppm nitrites and <5ppm nitrates. I'm just gonna wait it out a few more days to make sure the cycle is complete and the bacterial colony is stable. Comments and suggestions are welcome, I'll update with pictures of the shrimp when they go in the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 04:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to nate_mcnasty
good lookin tank! just give it some time to fill in and it will look great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
slowly but surly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 07:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)
Nice, it looks like my yellow shrimp tank only better

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Nice. I just started something almost identical myself. What's the stemplant behind the rocks?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think the plant is Eusteralis stellata.

Red Cherry Shrimp 18 inch nano
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 01:35 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (32/100%)
Don't forget to keep up with the water changes! HC is somewhat of a algae magnet when it it first starting. My first 2.5 with HC was not a sucess. My second tank was a success. I found out that HC loves excel, and it needs water changes in the beginning!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 01:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Send a message via MSN to fishbguy1
That plant looks just like my Rotala verticillaris.

good luck with everything!

65 gallon low tech planted

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode