McG's 60Gs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
McG's 60Gs

Planted 11/28/14

Last updated 3/23/15

Tank - 60 gallons. 36 x 18 x 22 - same footprint as 40B. Overflow in the corner.

Substrate - powder clay mixed with MGOCPM and capped with black blasting sand

Lighting - Zoo Med 36" dual T5HO. One 39w Ultra Sun Super Daylight 6500k bulb and one Flora Sun pink 5000k bulb.

CO2 - Aquatek regulator and 5lb tank with an ISTA Max Mix co2 reactor.

Equipment - Fluval 306 - "BeanAnimal" siphon overflow and standard overflow into a 20H sump.

Ferts - EI dosing for 40g-60g tanks

Plants - Ludwigia 'red'. Ludwigia repens. Rotala Rotundafolia. Pennywort. Dwarf Sag. Staurogyne Repens. Marsilea Minuta.

Fish - 3 Harlequin Rasboras. 2 Red Glass Barbs. 2 random tetras. 4 Ottos. 2 Julii Corys. 1 dwarf BN Pleco.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MichaelMcG; 03-26-2015 at 11:51 PM. Reason: -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

First off.. RIP to my 54g corner tank. It was too hard to keep maintained.

Welcome to the replacement! 60 gallons - 36 x 18 x 22 - same footprint as a 40B, just taller. There is also an overflow in the back corner.

I saved about half he water from the old tank and my filter has been running for over a year so I didn't worry about cycling this tank.

I will be plumbing the overflow to a sump tomorrow and also will be setting up the co2 and my new ISTA Max Mix co2 reactor.

The water is a little cloudy/dirty. This was taken just after it was filled.

Tank - 60 gallons. 36 x 18 x 22 - same footprint as 40B. Overflow in the corner.

Substrate - powder clay mixed with MGOCPM and capped with black blasting sand

Lighting - Lighting - Zoo Med 36" dual T5HO. One 39w Ultra Sun Super Daylight 6500k bulb and one Flora Sun pink 5000k bulb.

CO2 - Aquatek regulator and 5lb tank with an ISTA Max Mix co2 reactor.

Equipment - Fluval 306 - overflow not yet plumbed.

Ferts - EI dosing - a little less than the dosing for 40g-60g tanks

Plants - Ludwigia 'red'. Ludwigia repens. Rotala Rotundafolia. Pennywort. Dwarf Sag.

Fish - 6 Harlequin Rasboras. 2 Red Glass Barbs. 1 dwarf BN Pleco. More coming soon.

Last edited by MichaelMcG; 11-30-2014 at 06:06 AM. Reason: -
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

McG's 60G (tall 40b)

full tank shot 12/4/14

The Rotala didn't take long to start growing again. I am going to give it a few more days and do a trim/replant this weekend. I want the Rotala to eventually take over the whole back left of the tank behind the rocks.

I forgot to mention this is going to end up a dwarf sag jungle! Shouldn't take long.

I plumbed the overflow to a small 7 gallon tub I used with the 54 gallon corner tank I used to have. I am waiting for Petco to have a $1 per gallon sale and I will get a 20 gallon and squeeze it under there.

I have a regular overflow and also a "BeanAnimal" siphon overflow with a ball valve to regulate the siphon. 99.9999% of the water flows through here keeping the 'freefall' overflow water minimal. Very silent and helps cut down oxygenation.

I put the ISTA Max Mix reactor in the overflow box under water to cut down on any noise the propeller makes. Worked out pretty good and is quiet.

I also picked up more fish. 11 ottos and 4 Julii Corys. I will post some pics of them this weekend too!

Last edited by MichaelMcG; 12-05-2014 at 01:57 PM.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 05:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice tank... The dimensions on that are pretty interesting. Never seen a tank that size before. And once that dwarf sag fills in it'll be pretty sweet.

I've contemplated maybe setting up a tank with a similar size to yours... 36x18x20. I think that would be a 50 tall.

Last edited by Blackheart; 12-05-2014 at 05:31 AM. Reason: ...
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks! Ya I searched craigslist for about a year until I found something with a decent price. It's funny how people think they can sell used set ups for the price of something brand new.

36" fits perfectly between the corner of the wall and a window where I wanted to keep the tank. I always loved the 40b but thought it was too short.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMcG View Post
Thanks! Ya I searched craigslist for about a year until I found something with a decent price. It's funny how people think they can sell used set ups for the price of something brand new.

I always loved the 40b but thought it was too short.
Yeah I know it's ridiculous. I've looked at a lot of tanks on there and some are like, insane amounts for used stuff. I did come across a 40g long tank with the stand, brand new for 40 bucks though. That's a heck of a deal.

I was lucky enough to get my 75 gallon with the stand from a garage sale for 100 bucks. I used to love the 40b dimensions too, but now when I look back on it, it's just way too short for my liking. I definitely like my 75's 20 inch height.

Is your sag melting a lot?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

both of those are very good deals! it always seems like you come across steals like that when you're not actually wanting to buy!!

dwarf sag did melt a little but that was expected. I have had dwarf sag for a couple years now and every time you move it a few of the 'leaves?' always melt off. after about a week with co2 it should take off though -- about 1 runner a week. I have always had medium lighting, co2, and dirt/sand cap so that is my experience.

In my previous tanks I always tried to control the growth and not let it suffocate the other plants but this time it has pretty much the whole tank to take over. should be interesting!

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 11:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes definitely for sure. But now that I have one big main tank, I really can't justify getting another setup lol

Yes I'd like to see what yours looks like under C02. I'd like to give C02 a dabble as well, but can't really see all the money and work that goes into it benefiting me right now.

Was your tank originally a SW setup?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

No it wasn't saltwater. The people I got it from on Craigslist had bright pink/green gravel so pretty sure they had some petsmart deco and a few basic fish too lol.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-06-2014, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I wanted to share this but didn't want to post a video so I made a little gif of my ISTA Max Mix reactor inside the overflow box. I do not get any bubbles inside the tank. Let it churn!

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

getting some pearling action from the dwarf sag. I've had alot of different stems pearl before but not sag.

also have a few pics of some fish

Ottos

Julii Cory

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

bubble counter

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You have a lot of Ottos! Hey how is your sag doing under C02?
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well got 12 ottos and two died. I was expecting a couple die offs with them. Kinda wimps getting acclimated. Did a drip job for them but I guess that didn't work either. I will also move a couple when I set my 20g long shrimp tank.

Sag is doing great. Been almost two weeks and the initial melting stopped about a week in and now there are a lot of runners just sprouting up.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah ottos don't acclimate very well do they?

Sag grows pretty good but is pretty sensitive. I moved some around in my tank and it started melting again lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode