60P rimless with 360 view - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
60P rimless with 360 view

Hi all,

First a bit of background history. I come from Denmark and have been into the aquarium hobby on and off for many years and have done both reef and planted tank but never at a high level. I closed down my last reef tank about 5 years ago but now I want to get back and this time with a planted tank.

This time I want to do something a bit different. My goal is to create an aquarium with focus on design and beauty as a peice of furnature more than whats inside. What that mean is that I am willing to go an extra mile to hide all tank equipment and maybe experiment with different setups. The tank will be placed so it is possible to look at it almost from all directions.

The plan:
I have a 60P that have been sitting and waiting for a project for many years. Then plan is to drill this tank in the bottom and run all equipment inline from the filter. I have a Sera 400 filter with built-in UV. This should be plenty overpowered to run the 60P tank. I'm planning to use an inline heater and an inline CO2 diffuser. For lightning I will be using 1 or 2 36W CFL bulbs. This is something I would like to upgrade in the future with a nice ADA lamp but currently I think the pendant lamps I have looks nice.

I will create my own stand for the tank as I want the tank to rest on a stand that is a bit larger than the tank it self. Kind of like an status resting on a white box stand at an art museum. Hope you can follow me.

I have created some 3D illustrations to give you an idea of what im trying to create (and hopefully succeed).

Cabinet frame of 2 by 4

The next thing to do is to build that stand and drill the tank. I have made a couple of test holes on a peice of glass so I feel pretty comftable in succeeding the somewhat scary task of drilling a tank.

Regards,
Henrik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wow,sounds good so far.I like the galerie-style,I think it is a great project.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi all,
As you can see from the date of my initial post this project have not moved alot but now I finally got started on the project.

I have created the cabinet from my previous sketch and I really like how it turned out. (The pictures may not be the best in quality) I have also completed the nerve-wrecking task of drilling 2 holes in the bottom of the tank. After a very cold session outside that included lots of water and 30 minutes of drilling I finally got through them both without any cracks. (Maybe the cheap eBay diamond drill bits weren't the best, but they got the job done and again were very cheap )

A couple of pictures to document my progress:

And since the project have now started to create quite a mess in the living room I can promise you much more frequent updates as I dont think the misses will accept a project in this state for a long time.

Regards,
Henrik

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi all,

I finally got time to work on this project and produce something in real life instead of just creating sketches. The cabinet is complete and I think it turned out nicely. I also went through

the frightening task of drilling two holes in the bottom of the tank. After an hour of drilling in the biting cold outside covered in freezing water I finally got through. I used some cheap

chinese diamond bits but they got the job done in the end and no cracks.

Next up is lightning and all the tech in the cabinet.

Now a couple of pics as proof.

Regards,
Henrik
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 10:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Very interesting! I like this idea thus far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 10:56 AM
Planted Member

I think you nailed the look you were going for - "focus on design and beauty as a peice of furnature." the second photo from the bottom especially made me think of glass case exhibit in a museum designed to display a piece of artwork or an artifact. I look forward to seeing the final result
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Interesting build. Will follow. Did you get the drill bit from ebay? I too thought of drilling the tank, but didn't have the guts to drill my new expensive tank with a 10$ bit. Never drilled glass before. Could use a high end bit from a local source, but maaan, they wanted nearly 200$ for it.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for all your comments and I promise you that it will not be another 3 months before the next update. The misses does not like a half finished project in the middle of the living room.

Yes I just bought the drilling bits off [Ebay Link Removed] The package included two so I did a couple of test drills on a peice of glass I had with the first bit then changed bit and went for the real tank. Scary but a nice feeling to get it done.

Regards,
Henrik
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
very cool project! i hope you keep us updated

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 12:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahlon View Post
Thank you for all your comments and I promise you that it will not be another 3 months before the next update. The misses does not like a half finished project in the middle of the living room.

Yes I just bought the drilling bits off [Ebay Link Removed] The package included two so I did a couple of test drills on a peice of glass I had with the first bit then changed bit and went for the real tank. Scary but a nice feeling to get it done.

Regards,
Henrik
Thanks. Haha, was in the same boat with my build. Got most of it done in 1 week, while she was on a skiing holiday

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 03:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Awesome idea! Really cannot wait to see how this turns out! If I am not mistaken, are you going to have a column in the tank for your overflow and return? Ever think of building those into some driftwood? Drilling out the driftwood to contain the return line and making an overflow out of the driftwood? Quite a crazy idea, but I don't see why it couldn't be done. Just need a long drill bit! Kind of like threading a pipe through Cholla wood. I will be following this for sure! good luck with it!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 06:32 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Nice build definitely wanna see how it turns out.

Current - 2 x 20cm rimless, starphire cubes.

- shutdown, unfortunately.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroMan View Post
Awesome idea! Really cannot wait to see how this turns out! If I am not mistaken, are you going to have a column in the tank for your overflow and return? Ever think of building those into some driftwood? Drilling out the driftwood to contain the return line and making an overflow out of the driftwood? Quite a crazy idea, but I don't see why it couldn't be done. Just need a long drill bit! Kind of like threading a pipe through Cholla wood. I will be following this for sure! good luck with it!
Well currently there is no plan to have an overflow as im just connecting a canister to the setup. If it turns out that it is not working well I will pobably go the overflow and sump way.
I have also thought about imbedding piping in some driftwood as you mention. I have some experience with overflows from my time with reef tanks and if you want a silent overflow you need to look into a gurgle buster and durso setup which could be quite hard to incorporate into a peice of driftwood. I once created a piller with embedded return and overflow pipework including a gurgle buster. That was created by "gluing" small peices of rock onto the assembled pipework. Worked out pretty well.

Regards,
Henrik
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you all for the nice comments.

All the tech have now been installed. For the lights I went with two pendant lamps and a 36W CFL bulb at 5600K in each. I'm actually really pleased with these lamps as they have a decent look and they also have reflectors on the inside ensuring all the light will find the tank. Thats not easy to find! I actually found these lamps in an online "homegrow" shop but these works just as well for aquarium lights. The lights in the pictures look way more blue than in real life.

The engine bay is also done featuring a Sera 400 canister filter with built-in UV, Hydor inline heater and a solenoid regulated inline CO2 system from CO2Art(can really recommend this company) running on a Sodastream CO2 flask. This means that all the tech have been installed and the setup have been running with water for some time proving there is no leaks - phew! It was the goal from start that no tech should go into the actual tank and that have been acheived by having everything inline. Now I just hope that it will also work problem free during long periods.

Regards,
Henrik
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 10:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
This is one of the threads I am most excited for. The 360* view is going to be quite enjoyable for anyone who comes over.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode