Fluval SPEC 5g Planted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval SPEC 5g Planted

New to this forum but not new to forums so ill jump right in. I had a tank about 5 year ago, it wasn't anything glorious but it was fun and I really enjoyed keeping dwarf puffers. Today, as though by fate, I stopped in at the local pet store and noticed this beautiful tank on sale.

Everything I learned 5yrs ago, I've forgotten. All the basics and all the stuff necessary to know about fish keeping. Even if I did remember it, im willing to admit that I was probably wrong and so im coming into this with a fresh perspective to learn about fish, their ecosystem and anything else that may pertain.

I suppose that this will be my Tank Journal and my tanks journey. With the help I get for the folks here and my overall experience, I hope to make this an exciting learning adventure!

A few things that im unsure about and could really use some help to figure out;

* Tap water or distilled? Why and why not.
* Substrate? I hear that sand is not the best for live plants. No ornamental plastic plants in my tank.
* Suitable water heater? Something small, higher quality.
* Chemicals? For plants mainly and for maintenance.
* Filter medium?
* CO2? Do I need it?

I will try my best to check here regularly as I plan to do some reading on the forums to better this experience. I will post updates as much as possible, I love taking pics and sharing. Also, if anyone has any good links to articles regarding any of the above listed topics, feel free to link me.

Here is the tank and what it comes with. The tank is a Fluval 5g with a built in filter and a cheapo LED light. I wish it was a little wider but for now, Its the perfect size for me. It comes with a small pump, led light and a filter "sponge" with carbon and micro organism media.

I was gonna post a picture of my tank but its new so ill post a professional picture that will give a better idea of what I have.

Last edited by M3Roc; 11-24-2014 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Wrong tank size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
That's a 5 gallon tank (fluval Spec V).

Edit: I see you beat me to it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Mr Aqua 7.5 Cube Paludarium | Zoo Med Nano Tall & Small Tall Vivariums
Fraternity of Dirt #168
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by knm<>< View Post
That's a 5 gallon tank (fluval Spec V).
You're correct, I just changed that maybe a second before you posted. I took a quick glance and saw 19L and confused it with gallons.

Also felt it necessary to mention that the tank has the black base and will sit on a white desk. For the substrate, I would like to use something that's black if possible? Then again, I wan't more function then appearance so natural is best.

Also, if anyone knows of any good threads using this tank, please link me! I am looking around to get some inspiration.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Found this small Aqueon 10w heater that preset to the "perfect" temp although I can't find what that temp is suppose to be. I think this guy is the perfect option for my small tank, its rated to handle 5 gallons. Anyone have any reason why I shouldn't get this? This tank will be in the basement which stays around 65 in the winter. Is 10w enough or should I go with something bigger?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Regarding the lighting, I will be replacing the weak LED fixture that comes with the kit the Finnex FugeRay Planted+ fixture. At $50 shipped its a good price and its got good reviews.

http://www.aquavibrant.com/finnex-fu...d-fixture.html

*Ordered

I also ordered two bags of Seachem Purigen.. So far I have $140 into this tank. Still no heater, substrate, plants or fish. Trying to keep this little project under $200..
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No one has anything to add? Nothing to help out with? Maybe I picked the wrong forum..

At any rate. I got my Finnex Ray 2.. Sad to say im a bit disappointed with the light, its not worth anywhere near the $50 I paid for it. $25-30 at best is a more realistic value. Hopefully it works though. If my plants can find any useful spectrum there, ill be happy.

Still not sure if its a better idea to buy distilled water or is tap water ok with a treatment? Also, there are so many mediums for the bed that im not even close to figuring out what I need. A little help for a planted tank would be much appreciated.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 09:38 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Roc View Post
No one has anything to add? Nothing to help out with? Maybe I picked the wrong forum..

At any rate. I got my Finnex Ray 2.. Sad to say im a bit disappointed with the light, its not worth anywhere near the $50 I paid for it. $25-30 at best is a more realistic value. Hopefully it works though. If my plants can find any useful spectrum there, ill be happy.

Still not sure if its a better idea to buy distilled water or is tap water ok with a treatment? Also, there are so many mediums for the bed that im not even close to figuring out what I need. A little help for a planted tank would be much appreciated.
people didn't turned up probably because the information you provided were incomplete, like
1)it's not very clear that what you intend to keep in this tank?
2)Is it going to be planted( though selection of light made it clear)?
3) ideas on substrate, flora and fauna.
4) what are the water parameters? this along with info. from last point will give us some idea if RO water would be required or not.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 09:47 PM
Planted Member

If you got the ray 2 even the planted+ you might want some type of co2 injection or excel because it might end up as an algae farm with that much light.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use the FugeRay on mine and it's been perfect. I have mosses, chain swords and crypts, and an anubias that gets hidden a lot by the moss until I trim.

Just use the search function and type in Spec V - you will find lots and lots of threads on this tank.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Roc View Post
Found this small Aqueon 10w heater that preset to the "perfect" temp although I can't find what that temp is suppose to be. I think this guy is the perfect option for my small tank, its rated to handle 5 gallons. Anyone have any reason why I shouldn't get this? This tank will be in the basement which stays around 65 in the winter. Is 10w enough or should I go with something bigger?
I use the 25 watt Aqueon. Depends on what you're putting in there.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Awesome finaly getting some good responses. Being that im starting from scratch here, I might not know all the questions to ask.

The primary purpose of this tank is to keep dwarf puffers. I believe that's the proper name for the fish? As well, I plan to mix in a few shrimp and an otto or two.

I do want to have plenty of plants in the tank. I like a green tank. I'm on the fence about keeping the ray 2 or not. I think it may be a bit much for this size tank. If I need to dose co2, I could make that happen as well with a paintball tank or something like that.

Still no idea about what substrate to use or what plants to use. DP's like to have a lot of hiding spaces.

I have been searching around for some other threads trying to get ideas as well.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Change of plans, took the tank back. I saw figure eight puffers and I want to keep those instead of the dwarf puffers so ill need a much bigger tank. I have a 30gal at my parents house but that's in NY and I won't be going there for another month or so. I guess ill pick up where I leave off and go from there.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode