60gal. build thread - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
60gal. build thread

Build thread, at least that's what they call it in the auto forums. I don't have anything but ambition yet. I'll be buying a 60 gal. 36x18x24. I am familiar with Marineland tanks as they have been around many years but Deep Blue is new to me. The DB tank is a bit less expensive. Is one brand better than the other? I'll also be building my own stand and canopy out of red oak ply. I have seen some lighting fixtures at DomeHepot. Should I go with (4) or (6) 36" T5 bulbs? Maybe shorter bulbs? I don't know as I've never had a plant tank and 24" is a bit deep. What do you guys recommend without going off the deep end cost wise? I also have a Fluval 404 for filtration. That's it for the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got the tank yesterday 65 gal. 36x18x24 I also got 2 Fluval 306 filters at a Black Friday sale. At a local job site I procured some cypress wood that was partially buried and fully submerged almost year round. I pressure washed them and they are drying out in the sun in hopes of killing any hitch hikers. I'm not sure what I want as far as residents. I like the idea of shrimp and small schooling fish. I'd also like a terraced look. I have read that 2"-3" is normal substrate depth but for the back of the tank I'd like to go deeper. How deep is to deep? Not much more I can do until I build a stand and canopy.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 01:39 AM
Algae Grower

I've seen people building hills half way up the glass in the back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
I think the only problem with deep substrate is the risk of anaerobic bacteria and the breakdown of substrate which might suffocate the roots. But I don't think the root problem is that serious, as well as the anaerobic bacteria as long as you do your research.

There are products that help prevent anaerobic bacteria like ADA powersand and additives etc. But then again it's only a problem if you plan on keeping the same setup for 1+ years. I know nothing of this from experience, these are just some things I've seen around forums.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode