Eric's 40G Planted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (5/100%)
Eric's 40G Planted

Hi!

I'm relatively new here - after I lost my 2 goldfish in my 29 gallon tank after a move, I decided to try a planted tank. Bought a bunch of plants from Petsmart, set up DIY CO2, etc. It only took a month to realize I wanted to do it all over!

That's about the time when I found this forum. I began researching for a new setup, which included replacing the cheap 29G glass tank with a new 40G. I've purchased all new plants (mostly through the S&S forum) and all new equipment.

Most of the plants and equipment have been running in my 29G over the past few months. Today was the official teardown of the 29 / setup of the 40 day. Photo of the new 40G is attached.

Substrate: Sand / Flourite black sand mix
CO2: Pressurized (5 lb through Victor Regulator / Fabco needle valve)
Lighting: 4x24W Current Sundial with moonlights and built in timers
Filter: Eheim 2236
Ferts: EI dosing (macros and micros) supplemented with Excel

Fish:
9 Tiger Barbs
5 Spotted Cory Cats

Plants:
Creeping Jenny
Lagarosiphon Madagascariensis
Ludwigia Repens
Pearlweed
Pogostemon Yatabeanus
Rotala Clorata
Polygonum 'Porto Vehlo'
Compact Sword
Moss ball
Tiger Lotus
Java Moss
Java Fern

Looking forward to learning more and seeing my tank develop! We sold our house last year and moved into the city, leaving my 3500 gallon formal koi pond when we moved. I'm already sensing the addiction of planted tanks - it's helping me miss the koi pond a bit!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010465.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	10489  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
wow, looking good!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
it looks good.
i suggest you let the background grow out taller, and maybe get some low carpet for the center front, like HC, or glosso.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 01:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (135/99%)
Plants are looking good Eric! Good start to the tank. It will look really good when it fills in. Once the Lagarosiphon Madagascariensis starts growing you will be trimming that stuff every week. Keep up the great work!

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 11:33 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sounds like a plan!

I can't wait to see how the background grows in!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
Plants are looking good Eric! Good start to the tank. It will look really good when it fills in. Once the Lagarosiphon Madagascariensis starts growing you will be trimming that stuff every week.
The last shipment almost completely melted after planting - but I noticed tiny, 1" tall pieces floating around the tank after I took out the dead pieces. I stuck those back in the sand - not much left to even poke out of the substrate - and they've been growing! I'd say the longest piece is at 5" already.

Your rotala is awesome - growing like a weed and branching like crazy. That'll be the main focus of the left side of the tank when it fills out. There's a huge height difference in the 40G vs my 29G, so everything obviously has some height to fill out in the next few months.

Thanks again for all of the plants!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
it looks good.
i suggest you let the background grow out taller, and maybe get some low carpet for the center front, like HC, or glosso.
Yeah, the background has a ton of growing to do. The plants all came from my 29G - so while some were at the waterline before I moved them, they're all pretty short in the new tank.

I've got a ton of pearlweed that's pretty dense on the left and right sides of the tank - it's hard to tell from my photo. I know I need to work on taking better shots of the tank - it seems like something is always glaring (flash, window) or I get a reflection of myself.

Glosso is pretty. What's HC?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 06:08 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
The greenness is great!

-Chris

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode