90p iwagumi - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
90p iwagumi

Hey guys, its been a while since i've been on here. Had to shut down my 29gal tank because i just bought my first house and didn't need the stress of moving tanks. In the process i decided to do a major upgrade and learn from my mistakes made in my first iwagumi attempt.

One of the key things in this scape so far is that it has been a test of my patience and planning skills. Researching the best possible products and only getting the best that i can afford.

Another challenge was working with my living room space. I wanted to create a tranquil environment for enjoying music and the tank. No TV in this room. So i spent about of month on interior design boards, playing around with floor planing software. As any new homeowner would know, getting settled in was a hurdle as well and got in the way of getting any progress on the tank financially and mentally.

I opted out of ADA tank and stand because I couldn't justify the price. I ended up going with a company called CADlights for the tank and cabinet which only came to $650 brand new, so that was a huge score. I bought this months before the deal on my house closed because it was one big purchase i needed to get out of the way haha

I decided to go with the ADA complete substrate system with powersand, additives, normal type and powder type.

CO2 was from the 29 gallon and is from green leaf aquariums.

Last week i finally received my ATI 6x39 dimmable sunpower after it being on backorder for 2 months and i could not be any more excited about it. This thing is awesome. In it are Giesemann powerchromes, 3 mid day and 3 aquaflora and im sure ill be playing around with different combinations later on.

The hardest purchase to make so far has been the hardscape. I played around with the idea of ADA manten stone, but for the size of tank and scape i was going for, i wasn't ready to spend upwards of $1000 on rock. I know i needed the rock to be inert because we get relatively hard water in my area so i managed to pick up some rather large lava boulders from a rock yard around the corner from my house. At 50 cents a pound, i went all out and got as much as i could, took it home and broke it down into some more attractive pieces.

This picture only shows about half the rocks i actually have, but its more or less along the lines of how i want the hardscape to look.

Unfortunately, because of the extreme cold weather in ontario right now i am faced with another road block. I have no way to clean these rocks in my garage (well i mean, i could, but i live in a townhouse with a connected driveway, my neighbour is pregnant and i don't want to turn her driveway into an ice skating rink :/ )

In the mean time i decided to do some experimenting with the dry start method and some HC in a small tank with aquasoil.

To go back to my comment about patience and planning, i put my photoshop skills to the test before i could actually get down to scaping the tank HAHA

I really want to keep it simple with plants. Mostly HC, but i have been playing around with the idea of using some alternanthera reineckii sp. 'mini', staraguon rapens, eleocharis acicularis or parvula and hydrocotle

LAST on my list is a filter and some lily pipes. Im deciding on the Eheim E-Series 2076 because i want as much flow as possible and i want to be able to turn it down if its too much. I also like the computer controls. Im a sucker for technology.

Now im just deciding if im brave enough to drill out 2 inch holes on the left side of the cabinet for filter pipes, or if i should just keep the filter outside the tank. (im not very handy at all and im terrified that ill butcher it)

Anyways, that's all I got so far. I will be posting progress here as it happens and hope i can get some feedback from you guys!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Beelzebubbles; 11-19-2014 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Image Size
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Planted Member

I like it. Hope I'm at this point within five years. Haha.

post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 03:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I need to find a rock yard for myself.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 03:32 PM
mot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Try swapping places of the two left rocks with each other so that the large one is more toward the center.

Love the setup. The room looks great and the tank will really pop once you get it going. Great job!

-JP
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Try swapping places of the two left rocks with each other so that the large one is more toward the center.

Love the setup. The room looks great and the tank will really pop once you get it going. Great job!
Thanks! thats a great idea, im gonna give it a go when i get home from work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raith View Post
I need to find a rock yard for myself.
check out a landscape supply shop. Lava rock is easy to come by and i was floored at how cheap it was compared to whats being sold at aquarium shops.

Last edited by Beelzebubbles; 11-19-2014 at 03:36 PM. Reason: double post
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quick update on the DSM test tank.

It's rooting well and the plants are more resilient than I originally though.

All I'm using is a 13W CFL daylight cfl in a cheap ikea desk lamp misting with water once in the morning and once at night. The light is running 10hrs per day. No algae, no mould.

In the close up photo you will notice a tiny stem of HC that fell off when i was breaking up the Tropica cup. I just sprinkled it on top of the soil and it has magically taken root. This excites me.

I know a lot of people recommend just placing the HC as opposed to planting it, but i wasn't expecting this little guy to survive. COOL! cant wait to plant the 90p now

post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finally got around to the hardscape today. Gonna sit on it for a week before I plant it

post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
I like the overall outlook of the room with the tank! Did you make that stand yourself or did you buy it?

Software Developer~ |
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistuhmarc View Post
I like the overall outlook of the room with the tank! Did you make that stand yourself or did you buy it?
Thanks! It's a cadlight stand, not too expensive either

post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So this morning i replaced the second stone from the left, because for some reason i was hung up on the texture of it and overlooked the 2d shape it had viewing from the angle. it was very flat and you could see where i broke the stone to get the shape.

here is this mornings result. kind of rushed it before work because it was giving me nightmares last night... i just need to clean up the substrate with a brush some more and figure out why some of my powersand is coming to the surface around the 3rd stone from the left haha

Now to decide how many pots of HC i should get. im thinking around 10 so i dont have to wait too long to flood it.

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Perfect Hardscape!!!

post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerclown View Post
Perfect Hardscape!!!
Huge compliment after seeing your scape! Thank you!

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 11:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your welcome,are you starting planting this week? and what will be the choice of plants?

post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerclown View Post
Your welcome,are you starting planting this week? and what will be the choice of plants?
If nothing comes up otherwise then yes. It's taken me so long to get to where its at now being a new homeowner and all so.... haha the only place that has quality plants at a good price is about an hour drive for me and they are only open 2 hours a day in the afternoon so that makes it difficult for me.

i want to keep it super simple. mostly HC for ground cover and possibly staurogyne repens, montecarlo or alternanthera reineckii sp. 'mini' for feathering the hardscape. some hydrocotle sp. japan in the back.

im trying to decide if im just going to dry start the HC or if i want to throw the feathering plants in the mix.

do you have any ideas?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode