Hey guys, its been a while since i've been on here. Had to shut down my 29gal tank because i just bought my first house and didn't need the stress of moving tanks. In the process i decided to do a major upgrade and learn from my mistakes made in my first iwagumi attempt.
One of the key things in this scape so far is that it has been a test of my patience and planning skills. Researching the best possible products and only getting the best that i can afford.
Another challenge was working with my living room space. I wanted to create a tranquil environment for enjoying music and the tank. No TV in this room. So i spent about of month on interior design boards, playing around with floor planing software. As any new homeowner would know, getting settled in was a hurdle as well and got in the way of getting any progress on the tank financially and mentally.
I opted out of ADA tank and stand because I couldn't justify the price. I ended up going with a company called CADlights for the tank and cabinet which only came to $650 brand new, so that was a huge score. I bought this months before the deal on my house closed because it was one big purchase i needed to get out of the way haha
I decided to go with the ADA complete substrate system with powersand, additives, normal type and powder type.
CO2 was from the 29 gallon and is from green leaf aquariums.
Last week i finally received my ATI 6x39 dimmable sunpower after it being on backorder for 2 months and i could not be any more excited about it. This thing is awesome. In it are Giesemann powerchromes, 3 mid day and 3 aquaflora and im sure ill be playing around with different combinations later on.
The hardest purchase to make so far has been the hardscape. I played around with the idea of ADA manten stone, but for the size of tank and scape i was going for, i wasn't ready to spend upwards of $1000 on rock. I know i needed the rock to be inert because we get relatively hard water in my area so i managed to pick up some rather large lava boulders from a rock yard around the corner from my house. At 50 cents a pound, i went all out and got as much as i could, took it home and broke it down into some more attractive pieces.
This picture only shows about half the rocks i actually have, but its more or less along the lines of how i want the hardscape to look.
Unfortunately, because of the extreme cold weather in ontario right now i am faced with another road block. I have no way to clean these rocks in my garage (well i mean, i could, but i live in a townhouse with a connected driveway, my neighbour is pregnant and i don't want to turn her driveway into an ice skating rink :/ )
In the mean time i decided to do some experimenting with the dry start method and some HC in a small tank with aquasoil.
To go back to my comment about patience and planning, i put my photoshop skills to the test before i could actually get down to scaping the tank HAHA
I really want to keep it simple with plants. Mostly HC, but i have been playing around with the idea of using some alternanthera reineckii sp. 'mini', staraguon rapens, eleocharis acicularis
LAST on my list is a filter and some lily pipes. Im deciding on the Eheim E-Series 2076 because i want as much flow as possible and i want to be able to turn it down if its too much. I also like the computer controls. Im a sucker for technology.
Now im just deciding if im brave enough to drill out 2 inch holes on the left side of the cabinet for filter pipes, or if i should just keep the filter outside the tank. (im not very handy at all and im terrified that ill butcher it)
Anyways, that's all I got so far. I will be posting progress here as it happens and hope i can get some feedback from you guys!