Rescued fish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rescued fish

Well, i saw an add that said free. It was for a 30g tall tank, HOB filter, and fish. I went with buckets, thinking if the fish are not what i want, i'll bring them to a friend. Well, I got there and found 5 huge fish in the tank. A Green Terror, Jack Dempsey, Sailfin Pleco, catfish (i don't know the type), and a little grey fish (again, i don't know the type).

After about 2 seconds of thought, i decided to take them, i had a 55g just sitting around and a spare filter. The fish were thin and affarid of people. After about a week at my house, they all plumped out and they are starting to come around. I was able to save 20g of water from the tank they were in and put new fres water in (by-product of my RODI).

Just wanted to share a few picures. (sorry if they are bad, they still hide and i try to move around to get them all. the Terror is the only one that will come out)

Before:

After:

the Jack,

the Terror,

Sailfin,

catfish,

grey fish,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Good to see they've been moved to a bigger home.

The grey fish is striped convict.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 04:51 PM

PTrader: (4/100%)
Good job on rescuing fish! Those guys seems a little big for a 30gal... I love sailfin plecos. I've had a few in my recent tanks, and their a blast. Get him some bogwood!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find it for free? Craigslist?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 07:58 PM
wug
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I also like the sailfin pleco. Had a common pleco for awhile and when I saw him digging up plants to munchin on the roots I got rid of him (newb mistake). Now I have the sailfin and he never touchs my plants.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyRiver View Post
Good job on rescuing fish! Those guys seems a little big for a 30gal... I love sailfin plecos. I've had a few in my recent tanks, and their a blast. Get him some bogwood!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find it for free? Craigslist?
At my local Veterinarian's office, when i brought my Jack Russell in for a check-up.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwkwardParrot View Post
At my local Veterinarian's office, when i brought my Jack Russell in for a check-up.
Haha, nice! I wish I could find someone looking to get rid of their tank in my area....

What are your plans for it?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyRiver View Post
What are your plans for it?

Well, rite now, i'm looking for an iron sand and a canister filter (like a FX5). I've got a salt 48" fixture with 1 bulb in it and am thinking about switching to a regular T8 so it isn't as intense. Also, I want to pull all f the rock out of it because, from what i read, all the fish prefer a sand bottom. Moreover, i need to take care of some illnesses...i've got bloat in the jack and convic has fin rot....not too happy, any suggestions on how to treat???
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 10:49 PM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
The convict is my favorite south american cichlid. They were the smallest fish in the tank we had years ago, yet the meanest of them all. Great job on the rescue! I am sure they are happier!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
wow. great story
i've always wanted to keep big fish like that but i can't resist a school of neons tetras attacking a cube of bloodworms.

what are you feeding them?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 11:21 PM

Great job saving them!

The catfish looks like some type of Syno to me. Don't know if that would help.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so far, i've fed them pelts, flake, and blood worms. they tend to eat off the bottom. the jack is the only one that will come 1/2 way up when i feed them.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 05:37 AM

I'm sorry to hear that your struggling with them being sick... Heres a helpful resource: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fi...ick-guide.html
I've been out of the hobby for some time, so I'm not sure whats safe to use to treat these fish. But I would recommend looking over that link, and if you don't find the answer then ask on the fish portion of this forum.

Sounds like their still pretty stressed out from the move, being that their not coming out much for the food? You might want to use some stress coat..? I'm not sure... They might just take some time to adjust.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Time they have. Thank you for all your help MistyRiver, and everyone else. I'll keep you posted as time goes on. In the meantime, i'll see what i can do about the sicknesses. Also, i want to move the to yet a bigger home...they're sorta growing on me , so i'm looking for a 90g tank for them.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
btw, how were you able to not make them scared of people? did they always hide when you got close to the aquarium or are they more friendly now?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
wow great rescue story! And lovely fish! That green terror is a beaut!

Sorry to hear about the illnesses though! I'm not sure about the bloat, but fin rot often will go away simply with good water quality. Otherwise an antibacterial should do the trick. Good luck!

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode