I scored this little Fluval Spec 2(ish) gallon on Craigslist a while back. It's been hanging out, waiting for its chance to be something other than an extra plant container. I have been puttering with it on and off for weeks and finally managed to finish it up today.
Stuff you might be curious about
Carib-Sea Floramax and some natural sand from my LFS
Cheapo Sunsbell 48LED from Amazon. It seems decent enough and even has a "moonlight" setting. (The original light that came with the tank was sans power unit.)
Stock, not messing with it yet.
Hydor 25W (not yet installed)
Trying the Excel and Excel Flourish on this tank.
Blyxa japonica, Echinodorus bleheri "Compacta", Potamogeton gayi, Cabomba caroliniana, Corkscrew vallisneria, Egeria densa, Taxiphyllum barbieri
, most likely an assortment of shrimp.
I drained the tank and planted/arranged today. The Java Moss is sewn onto a piece of plastic canvas and I'm still experimenting with it. The top needs to be affixed, but is temporarily being held in place with a binder clip. The bottom is below the substrate and is quite secure. The stairs are three pieces of slate tile, adhered together with aquarium sealant. The three little stones are superglued together, but are just sitting on the slate.
I used a bit of air tubing and a mason jar to siphon water back in so as not to disturb the sand and plants. The tank is mainly visible from two sides, so I tried to focus the arrangement to best take advantage of that.
Initial water testing looked positive (I've been seeding this tank with pre-sponges and ornaments from other tanks, plus Quick Start). Hoping it will be ready for some new residents soon.