Iwagumi nano HC tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Iwagumi nano HC tank

Well, it looks bigger than it is, it's a 3 gallon tank

Rock arrangement is nothing ground breaking, but that's not even remotely the point for this, it's a blend of terrarium, aquarium, bonsai and something very aesthetic horticulturally..........and easy to care for. It looks good as a simple planter. In many cases, the goal is to have a simple classic design, but to apply it in a new or novel, but also very practical manner. A basically 2 gallon aquarium after the water level and rocks/gravel, maybe even less..............and then CO2 and a fast growing weed.............? That's not really practical. This on the other hand ......is. So the goal and the size/footprint criteria was met.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 05:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Da champ. Really doesnt look like only 3 gal, but then if anybody could pull that off, it'd be you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
how would you go about trimming something like this tom? ive done similar things in the past but eventually the plant grows on itself over time, perhaps trim and a light vacuum? or fill half way with water and do a trim, then re-drain?
Scape looks great!

|

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 05:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Where you get that lump of HC Cuba? Are you going to dry start it?

|ADA 60F|ADA 30C|
|

E-series E60 on ADA60F - MicMol AquaMini x3 on ADA 60P - MicMol AquaPro on ADA30C
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The HC started as a sorry looking pot and then went into this in May:

Basically I was looking for something a bit more seamless and larger than a pot, but could still grow the plant like this and have a little bit more room than the 5 stone arrangement at the smaller scale. Due to the small size, you are limited in what can be done. I removed these stones and used them in the 3 gallon Mr Aqua tank.

I only used maybe 10% of the HC from the bonsai pot after the HC grew for several months(Started in May), ended in Nov, so about 6 months worth of growth).

Anyone need what is at least 15-20 pots worth of the HC??

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Where you get that lump of HC Cuba? Are you going to dry start it?
I do not plan to add water, maybe as somepoint, take a pic etc and add some fish, shrimp, then remove it, and go back to what I had in the bonsai pot, just keep it as an outdoor terrarium till it gets too cold.

It is extremely easy to care for that way.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 09:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think its a pretty good arrangement with the space/rocks that you had to work with. What an awesome way to use HC out of the pot as well~

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 04:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
I take it you grow the HC emersed outdoors? How would you go about that? How do you keep it from drying out?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub1117 View Post
I take it you grow the HC emersed outdoors? How would you go about that? How do you keep it from drying out?
Yes, add plants, add soil, water daily.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ach1Ll3sH33L View Post
how would you go about trimming something like this tom? ive done similar things in the past but eventually the plant grows on itself over time, perhaps trim and a light vacuum? or fill half way with water and do a trim, then re-drain?
Scape looks great!
I am curious about this as well. I too have had the same issue.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode