newbie 29g planted need help if possible few pics! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
newbie 29g planted need help if possible few pics!

Total newb here! Forgive my trespasses

Tank up and running almost 2 months;
Weekly 10℅ h2o changes

Sand over gravel substrate

29G aquarium, tetra kit
Ex30 whisper HOB
Stock heater
2 bulb T5 HO 2x24w =48w total light, 6500k

Api co2 booster, mostly every day \a couple times a week
Flourish 1x week

Wisteria (looking rough; was a pet smart tube buy)
Anubias (suffered under almost no light for a while)
Java fern (big donated piece, was pretty moth eaten when I got it)
Dwarf hairgrass (starting to grow, was\is looking rough)
1 water onion (not doing well)
Cabomba(happy)
Amazon swords (still small)
Moss ball
Something long and leafy
2 unknown bulbs I was given that are growing put of control

Fish-

2 dwarf gourami
1 rainbow shark
1 emperor\dwarf pleco
1 Chinese hillstream loach
3 clam\mussel

I large piece of driftwood,leeching tanin. Filter has charcoal to help clarify water, changing on a 10 day schedule.

I'm very particular about dosing these supplements, labels are followed EXACTLY and dosed with a syringe to the precise amounts required and suggested intervals:

Supplemented substrate with root tabs about 1 week ago.
Api co2 booster
Flourish micronutrients supplent

Temp- steadily 76-79 degree F
Lights- were running 12 hr daily, algae took over shortly after the lights were upgraded,reduced to 8 h daily.

I could use a hand\advice. I'm trying to figure out the aquascape; open to suggestions, have some rocks holding down the driftwood until it will stay down on its own. I've included some pics of the plants.

How do I make this lush and overgrown? What plants should I add? Is there a better way to arrange everything?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141111_235643.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	775.6 KB
ID:	390658  

Name:	IMG_20141111_235457.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	524.3 KB
ID:	390674  

Name:	IMG_20141112_000049.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	390690  

Name:	IMG_20141112_000328.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	814.5 KB
ID:	390698  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your wisteria is probably changing from its emersed form to its submersed form.
The hillstream loach needs lots of oxygen and water movement in the aquarium along with cool temperatures, the exact opposite of what your dwarf gouramis want. Try and take it back. I know that it looks cool, but unless you want to devote a new tank to it, and give it the care it deserves, then the loach will most likely die, sorry.
The clams/mussels are filter feeders that require copious amounts of free-floating microalgae and the like to survive. They also will bury themselves eventually, unless they're already dead, in which case they're releasing ammonia into the system.
If you have the time, try and rearrange the dwarf hairgrass so that it forms more of a carpet instead of just random clumps all over the tank. The best way is to separate it into individual stalks, and plant each one separately, but you don't want to do that. Just try separating them into easily handled clumps, and plant them all together, maybe in the front left corner?
Amazon swords are heavy root feeders, so I suggest you buy some of the root tabs as well.
Welcome to TPT by the way! Good Luck!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks ichthyogeek!

so I'm using some root tabs presently, they've been in for about a week or so now, hopefully they will help!

thanks for the great advice about the livestock, I am guilty of "fish store excitement" and I let myself get talked into the loach and the clams, but reading up on the clams (which seem like they might actually be mussels?) they kind of scare me a bit now for the health of my tank. I see them open and siphoning, and they close quickly when I tap them, so they are at least alive, i know my tank is a bit mucky at the moment, but I think they might need to be returned as well, I've found some unclear instructions on feeding them, I'd like to make sure they survive if I can.

Ideally, I'd love to get the tank as lush as possible, and I'm really open for what I can do to foster that growth.

theres a lot of great advice on setting up co2, with my present light fixture, will that suffice? 2x24w T5HO bulbs, for a total of 48W, about 16in from the substrate on average or so, seems to indicate about a medium/moderate amount of light, with fall off in the corners probably. I've used all my good will with the wife, so I can't upgrade the light fixture yet, especially if I'm looking for santa to bring me co2 gear, ha! I do have almost everything I need to set up a 20gal tall, except for a heater, so i might set it up for the loach, and eventually swap the 2 bulb fixture from current set up over to it, and buy the 4 bulb version...

I am curious, the lighting advice I received indicated that 6500k was good for plants, but I recently read somewhere that 3000-4000k would help the plants "bush out" more (thicker foliage?), should I swap out one of the bulbs? I have a single bulb under-counter T5 24in fixture sitting around that I could build a reflector for, and theres enough room behind the 2 bulb fixture, would that be a good idea, and add a 3000k bulb?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I use 10k and 6700k t5's works good for me..
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/al...?albumid=17209

The Fraternity of Dirt #164
I'm so crazy I use Sunlight!!
RAOK CLUB #149

Last edited by Aqua nut; 11-12-2014 at 03:56 PM. Reason: added tanks
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Aqua nut, thanks for the advice, wow, you have some great stuff! I really want to see my tank succeed, I sacrificed the TV nook in the living room so I could have something more peaceful to watch. i will do some reading up on 10k. anything you might suggest I could add to the tank plant wise to get that lush look, or background "wall" effect? I am also going to put a black background on the tank as well.

*edit* also, looks like your 10k is an LED, is that right? sounds pretty neat!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

has anyone had any success with split photo periods? I am looking into it now, but colloquially, I'm curious if this is bad for growth of aquarium plants. I get home late, around 7:30p, and its easy to miss the tank while lit entirely, plus it makes feeding difficult :/
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

http://www.reddit.com/r/PlantedTank/...ss_my_fish_or/

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...od-177704.html
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44872

Doesn't seem bad for plants, and good for combatting algae. It's supposed to simulate mid day rain showers common in the tropics (not sure where I read that, I think Hiscock's Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants).
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Aww yeah, saved my life twice now, thanks man! I'll read up on it!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbalicious View Post
has anyone had any success with split photo periods? I am looking into it now, but colloquially, I'm curious if this is bad for growth of aquarium plants. I get home late, around 7:30p, and its easy to miss the tank while lit entirely, plus it makes feeding difficult :/
I started using it to keep Algae under control. Told that Diana Walstad's, whom wrote the ecology of the planted aquarium, suggest it raise the Co2 in the water. When I stopped having lights off at noon for 3hrs black brush algae came back.

Someone wrote that the roots from the Amazon plant took over his 29G tank. So I don't the Amazon sword plant will work.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 11:34 AM
Algae Grower

I do split photo periods. It might help with algae, but mostly I do it because I want the tank lit when I am in the room. I have the lights on 8-12 and 4-8.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
I started using it to keep Algae under control. Told that Diana Walstad's, whom wrote the ecology of the planted aquarium, suggest it raise the Co2 in the water. When I stopped having lights off at noon for 3hrs black brush algae came back.

Someone wrote that the roots from the Amazon plant took over his 29G tank. So I don't the Amazon sword plant will work.
thanks for the heads up, no swords in 29G? I'll read up on that, i didn't know they were that pervasive

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMy View Post
I do split photo periods. It might help with algae, but mostly I do it because I want the tank lit when I am in the room. I have the lights on 8-12 and 4-8.
i implemented it, lets see how it does with the algae!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ich outbreak :(

Dwarf flame gourami showing some telltale white spots, looks like ich according to an image search.
I purchased a quarantine tank (lesson learned) and started it with a few gallons from my primary tank, got him out from the current population, but seem to have every indication based on research that the whole tank is at risk now, but if that's what it is, I caught it really early, since I do daily health checks and hadn't noticed the white spots this morning. Treating with marineland ick remedy (seems to be malachite green?) And am slowly raising the temp on quarantine.

Anyone have a handy protocol for increasing tank temp for a dwarf gourami? Google is giving inconclusive results on how fast it should be done. I now know I should put good quarantine practices in place, but it was a new tank with new fish from the same place, so I was less cautious than I should have been. I'm bummed because I know its my fault.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...ture-my-55939/
approximately 1-2 degrees per day. I would say raise it up to around 82 degrees. I've always cured my ich outbreaks with salt and temperature raises, so I can't help you with malachite green treatment. However, do remember that raising the temperature and adding malachite green will lower oxygen levels in the tank. Siphon the bottom of the tank every day to get rid of any ich cysts. Oh, and any other fish in the tank, as well as the tank itself, might also start showing signs of ich as well.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quarantine tank is doing well, 0 ppm ammonia, other parameters look normal. Dwarf flame looks relatively happy as well, still eating well. Not seeing more than 1-2 little white spots on him still, haven't re dosed the ick remedy as yet, I understand it can be rough on gourami, since it's malachite green, but so far so good.

On the upside, it looks like the planT's in the 29g are showing new growth finally! The anubias has new roots and a new shoot, and the wisteria has leaflets, everything else looks perky looks perky! Pics soon to follow
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 10:27 PM
Planted Member

I am new to this hobby as well, but since you're soliciting advice I will say that from a purely aesthetic view I would rearrange the driftwood you have by turning it upside down and partially burying it in the sand. I think you could make it look more like a tree stump with roots burrowing into the bottom instead of just a hunk of wood sitting there. Then you could position some plants at its base and among the "roots" to create a more natural looking scene.

Strictly an opinion, it's your environment create what you like!

I have an AQUARIUM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode