89 gallon with 3-sided viewing (picture heavy) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
89 gallon with 3-sided viewing (picture heavy)

I found this 89 gallon, custom built tank on craigslist for $150. Couldn't pass up the chance to give it a go. It has been challenging due to being viewable from three sides. It holds a total of 110 gallons, but the fish actually have 89 gallons to swim in. The rest of the water is flowing through the built in box containing a D.A.S. H39 filter.
The dimensions of the entire tank are 48" x 22" x 50", but the part of the tank that houses the fish is 39" x 22" x 24".
I got a huge piece of bogwood for the tank that adds some fun with open swimming spaces through the wood. I chose to use sand substrate and collected some river rocks. Have not been able to decide if I want to use plants in this tank or not. It has been difficult to find a look I am happy with on all three sides.
For the moment I have some Java Fern resting in the crevices of the bogwood. It doesn't look right to me though. I tried some floating plants too, but even they don't sit right. Here I have included pictures of the stages...hasn't had a lot of changes so far.
I had another thread about fish stocking in this tank, but decided to start a more appropriate Tank Journal Thread here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fishtankstuff October 2014 064.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	390202  

Name:	fishtankstuff October 2014 026.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	390218  

Name:	fishtankstuff October 2014 067.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	390250  

Name:	fishtankstuff October 2014 011.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	390258  

Name:	fishtankstuff October 2014 001.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	390266  

Last edited by Neaha; 11-11-2014 at 06:52 PM. Reason: added "picture heavy"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

More pictures of the changes to the scape.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fishtankstuff October 2014 099.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	390274  

Name:	fishtankstuff October 2014 100.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	390282  

Name:	fishtankstuff October 2014 136.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	390290  

Name:	fishtankstuff October 2014 105.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	390298  

Name:	fishtankstuff October 2014 155.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	390306  

Name:	fishtankstuff October 2014 166.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	390314  

Name:	fishtankstuff October 2014 167.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	390322  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fish Keeping is my #1 Hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

With Plants...hmmm....

I really don't know if I like the plants or not.

Anyway,
I added 30-40% water from my existing tank, hooked up a HOB and a Magnum Canister Filter from an existing tank as well as added sand filled with beneficial bacteria, squeezed some bio-sponges from my existing tank into the DAS filter when I first started running the tank to quick start the cycle. Worked perfectly Now it is housing a mated pair of Angels, a pair of Golden Wonder Killifish and 3 Zebra Loaches. These fish will remain in this tank for awhile, but I do plan to have Geophagus Red Heads in this tank down the road.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	old phone 004.jpg
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	390330  

Name:	old phone 011.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	390338  

Name:	old phone 005.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	390346  

Name:	old phone 008.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	390354  

Name:	old phone 010.jpg
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	390362  

Name:	old phone 013.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	390370  

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
With the plants, I'd vote for moving all your tall plants to center/ far left (against the non-viewing short end), fill in with a few medium plants as you move out towards the corners and into the driftwood area, then find a few smaller accent plants to tuck in around the edges and far right of the driftwood and rocks--essentially creating a deeply planted bed that the rocks and driftwood "grow" out of with just a few small plants tucked in along the shelter of the wood and rocks as you move out onto an open sand bank.

That'd allow you a nice rich bed of plants, leave the wood open so you can see the details of the openings in it and a big lovely negative area of open sand. I wouldn't try to plant or place anything in the far right corners (along the short viewing edge).
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (30/100%)
The hardscape is nice. In addition to the advice given by Knotyoureality, I would plant everything in the back against the black. This is coming from a frontal view perspective. The sword plant you have is a heavy rooting plant, so you would need some sort of plant substrate and I would use it as the center plant in the back.

How? I would move some of that sand forward and use some rocks as a barrier to create a pocket area for soil or plant substrate about maybe 3-4 inches deep.

Something similar to this..
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...edium/2590.jpg
But not entirely the same, you can play with it. You're going to be looking at it everyday, so design a scape that is pleasing to your eye.

Thanks for sharing this with us!

~Tyrone~

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 07:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
That bogwood is awesome. More fern planted in clumps, I think, would look great in there.

Run miles. Drink coffee. Go Hawks.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for your input. Sounds very nice. I will play around with it and see what I can do. I do plan to have 5 Geophagus in the tank so they will appreciate the sand so I will need to leave plenty open sand for them, with minimal plants. I really like to sound of tapering the plants from the non-viewing side to the wood.
What types of plants do you suggest? I will not be using heavy ferts or Co2 and will keep the lighting medium-low.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone View Post
The hardscape is nice. In addition to the advice given by Knotyoureality, I would plant everything in the back against the black. This is coming from a frontal view perspective. The sword plant you have is a heavy rooting plant, so you would need some sort of plant substrate and I would use it as the center plant in the back.

How? I would move some of that sand forward and use some rocks as a barrier to create a pocket area for soil or plant substrate about maybe 3-4 inches deep.

Something similar to this..
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...edium/2590.jpg
But not entirely the same, you can play with it. You're going to be looking at it everyday, so design a scape that is pleasing to your eye.

Thanks for sharing this with us!
I opened the link you shared, but am only seeing a thumbnail in the upper left hand corner of my screen. Tried clicking the thumbnail, but nothing. Could you try again? I would very much like to see it.
Thank you

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Algae Grower

I really love that tank! I do have a question though, is the hob just temp? Didn't you say you had a filter in the enclosed section because the hob kind of takes away from the tank a little.

Also, I second the ferm in the front going to the back. It may look weird now with the bog wood being taller and "Hiding" your plants but they will grow and soon fill up the back.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Even in lower light, Rotala Macrandra would be a good stemmed plant that grows fairly fast and would be colorful along the back. It would help with algae also because of it's growth speed.
I might think about placing a small amount of mini Pellia on the very front tip of part of the wood.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, the HOB is only temporary. After a couple good solid months running, I will remove the HOB. After another month I will remove the canister too and only be running the DAS H39. Just helping the built in filter get "seasoned" fully. It sure looks bogged down with filters right now ha ha! The canister is in a bucket outside the tank on the dining room side. Quite the eye sore. But worth it for my fish.

I will be placing the Amazon Sword into a "aerated baggy" with plenty of holes that will contain eco complete. The bag will keep the Sword happy while not having me worry about the Geophagus uprooting it once they are in the tank. I will use rocks to keep the bag from view. This is a trick a friend has been having great success with so I figured it was worth a shot in my tank.

I have moved some Java Fern back off the top of the wood. I like it better; I think. You will notice wood and some floating plants at the waters surface. Don't mind them. The wood will sink eventually and it is holding the plants back from the HOB which has sucked them up a few times.
Anyway, here updated pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	November 2014 365.jpg
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	390418  

Name:	November 2014 367.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	390426  

Name:	November 2014 317.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	390434  

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (30/100%)
I'm sorry, I didn't realize the link didn't work. Here take a look at these...

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...24152520f6.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5172/5...537889f0f9.jpg

The 1st pic would be visualized as a frontal view and the 2nd pic could be either side. Just to give you an idea. Creating the pocket with the stones gives you the option of filling it with plant substrate.

To be able to make it look natural and visualize how the plants would grow in is another way to look at it too.

~Tyrone~

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Even in lower light, Rotala Macrandra would be a good stemmed plant that grows fairly fast and would be colorful along the back. It would help with algae also because of it's growth speed.
I might think about placing a small amount of mini Pellia on the very front tip of part of the wood.
Wow the mini pellia is beautiful! I may just have to try that Would the Rotala Macranda need higher light to produce the red leaves? It is a very nice plant. I have some in my other tank; just added it a couple days ago so not sure how it's going to do as of yet.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't realize the link didn't work. Here take a look at these...

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...24152520f6.jpg

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5172/5...537889f0f9.jpg

The 1st pic would be visualized as a frontal view and the 2nd pic could be either side. Just to give you an idea. Creating the pocket with the stones gives you the option of filling it with plant substrate.

To be able to make it look natural and visualize how the plants would grow in is another way to look at it too.
Oh no apology necessary. Appreciate the links. Thanks! I really like the look of the plants growing up through the driftwood branches surrounded by rocks. Very neat looking. I actually was going to go with "branches" on 2 corners, diagonal from each other the length of the tank and do just what I see in the links you shared. Then I found this awesome piece of wood and went with it instead. I tell ya though, it has made it difficult to scape because the tank is only 39" long. If only I had all 48" of it to work with.

I will toy around with the rock barrier tomorrow and see if I can get a "natural look" that I am happy with.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 01:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
How tall is the tank which the Rotala is in now ?
I asked becase it gets more ed the closer to the top it is.
I had some Indica and it was just green till it made it completely to the top. Then the tips turned pink.
It does like higher light, but it will have that after a couple of the stems reach the top or close to it. Just might not get that wild red
seen on those in tanks/w high light/injected CO2.
I just got a few stems of it that someone gave me which are very badly
taken care of. Just a couple of leaves at the top of each stem.
But after 4 days in there the very top leaves look good now.
Don't actually expect these to get red till they are in good enough shape from the tops growing up for the stems to start a new sprout and that new sprout gets up to the top. Then I can cut off the original stem.
These are in a 10G/w one T8 bulb. But after they reach the top that bulb will be like 1.5 inches away from it if that.
Someone on here is selling mini Pellia right now.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
How tall is the tank which the Rotala is in now ?
I asked becase it gets more ed the closer to the top it is.
I had some Indica and it was just green till it made it completely to the top. Then the tips turned pink.
It does like higher light, but it will have that after a couple of the stems reach the top or close to it. Just might not get that wild red
seen on those in tanks/w high light/injected CO2.
I just got a few stems of it that someone gave me which are very badly
taken care of. Just a couple of leaves at the top of each stem.
But after 4 days in there the very top leaves look good now.
Don't actually expect these to get red till they are in good enough shape from the tops growing up for the stems to start a new sprout and that new sprout gets up to the top. Then I can cut off the original stem.
These are in a 10G/w one T8 bulb. But after they reach the top that bulb will be like 1.5 inches away from it if that.
Someone on here is selling mini Pellia right now.
Both of my tanks are 24" tall. My Lugwigia has pink to red leaves in that tank, so perhaps I have high enough lighting to keep the Rotala in some color. The tank has 5 strips of LED's. The 89 gallon (the tank in this thread) has two T12 bulbs. Not much light. I will be changing them out for something else eventually. Not sure what lighting I will end up using for the tank yet.
Thank you

Tags
dutch aquarium system, geohpagus, h39 filter, tank journal, tropical fish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode