The Carbotarium - 38 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The Carbotarium - 38 Gallon

Ok... I've started a new thread for this tank since I finally picked a clever name and I just found out I cannot delete old threads. So... here it is! I was told in the other thread that it is too early to inject CO2. I have dwarf hairgrass and HC growing in there now... I was under the impression these plants needed CO2 rich environments to even get started growing. If it is too early for CO2, at what point should I start injecting? Thanks all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank3.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	390146  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 38 Gallon (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

- 3 Gallon

Last edited by bweazel; 11-11-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Oops
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 05:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Any updates?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Any updates?
LOL I know... I've been horrible about updating this. I'll post something tonight when I get off work.

- 38 Gallon (
)

- 3 Gallon

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 05:41 PM
Algae Grower

I would have started with CO2 from the get go. Can't wait for the update, looks like it would grow in nice.

15 Gallon Dirty Cube.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Post Update: January 9, 2015

So here's the tank two months later with a few trimmings behind us and a couple of plant changes. I started with cabomba in the middle, but the dark green color of the cabomba I got just made the tank look... well.. it made it look like a swamp, and I like the lime green look of the surrounding plants better. Not only did the color bother me, but the growth rate of the plant was also a hassle. It grew much quicker than any other plant in the tank, so there were a few times I had to get in there and do a trimming session just for the cabomba. So I bought a sword and plopped it in the middle. We'll see how that works out.

Had some hiccups last month when I first tried to introduce fish to the tank. But now the fish seem to be doing great, haven't had any losses at all for the last month. I might need to get one of those signs "Days without incident" and hang it to the side of the tank.

Hmmm, what else? The HC I've been trying to grow is not really doing well at all. It's not dying, but it's just not propagating any. I'm thinking this is due to the fact that there hasn't been a time where it either wasn't covered with algae, or that the tank had zero nitrates in it. Either way, not optimal growing conditions for the HC. The dwarf hairgrass is growing in. Slowly, but surely.

The entire month of December 2014, the tank had a very bad algae problem. Hair algae, to be exact. Weekly water changes, and patience and it seems to have all cleared up. I bought a phosphate test from the LFS, and nitrates and phosphates are both at 0 ppm. This has also made life on the snails a bit tough, and currently, the tank is experience a snail famine... poor guys... but they were getting a bit out of control, so I can't say I'm too upset for them.

That's about all I can think to post... I'll try to be better about updating. This is actually turning into a very fun hobby. I'll try to take some better pictures next time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tank6.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	413386  

- 38 Gallon (
)

- 3 Gallon

Last edited by bweazel; 08-28-2015 at 02:30 PM. Reason: .
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice lookin tank
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Nice lookin tank
Thanks, Blackheart. It's getting there. I plan to have the whole front of the tank covered with HC and dwarf hairgrass as soon as I learn how to get it to grow, lol.

- 38 Gallon (
)

- 3 Gallon
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update: April 10, 2015

Ok. Here we are almost four months later. I'm not as pleased with the growth in the tank as I would like to be, but as you can see below, the dwarf hairgrass is beginning to grow in very nicely. The HC has shown some growth, but I'm starting to think the lights are not strong enough for proper HC growth. Oh well though, I'll keep trying.

I've recently started to dose ferts, and I have to be honest, I'm still pretty clueless about what I'm doing exactly. Have I put in too much? Too little?
Still trying to work out the kinks. I've been reading the dosing schedules and such, but it's still a bit unnerving.

And this month of April, I've run into a bloom of some kind. Not too sure if it's bacterial or algae, but when I went on vacation a couple of weeks back, I had a power outage and my tank light (which is programmable) defaults to off after a power outage, so, needless to say the tank went without light for 2-3 days. When I got back, many of the plants were beginning to drop leaves, and the rotala was nothing but stems. So there was a huge spike in nitrates, of course. Which is what I'm thinking led to the recent algae bloom. Also, the sword that I planted in January took a big hit from the power outage and has yet to fully recover. I'm thinking about pulling it, because it is nothing but holes now.

I purchased a UV sterilizer, which you can see in the panoramic shot at the bottom. I will probably just keep this in there temporarily until it clears up the algae bloom. I would like to get back to the kind of water quality I had in the first photo of the new tank. Crystal clear would be nice, so, we'll see what happens and I'll keep you all updated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0242.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	458570  

Name:	IMG_0211.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	458578  

- 38 Gallon (
)

- 3 Gallon

Last edited by bweazel; 05-21-2015 at 03:44 AM. Reason: .
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update: May 20, 2015

I've changed some things around in the tank and added some new HC. I've gotten rid of the Eheim 2211 filter (never should have gotten it in the first place, very low GPH, rookie mistake on my part) and got a Hydor Pro 150 and have stocked one of the trays with Seachems Matrix. I've also added a Hydor ETH 200 inline heater and an inline CO2 diffuser. I couldn't be happier with both of the purchases (unless of course they start to leak). The ETH heater works like a charm, keeps the tank within half of a degree from the setting. I've read horror stories about them leaking after awhile, so we'll wait and see.

And the inline CO2 diffuser is great. No more annoying noise from the glass diffuser. One less thing...

I also bought an aPUMP silent pump that hangs on the back glass which I run after the lights go off. I don't think it's enough to properly aerate the tank by itself, but it is extremely quiet. You can actually hear the air stone more than you can hear that pump. So if anyone is looking for some light aeration you should give the aPUMP a go. I probably should have gotten the next level up, so if your tank is above 30 gallons, I'd recommend the pump with two outlets.

The dwarf hairgrass continues to grow very nicely into a carpet and some of the original HC has finally taken off although it's not spreading out much. The sword that I had reported as near death last post has also grown back and looks to be in good health again.

I'm still trying to get on a good fert schedule. Dosing and testing, dosing and testing.

I've also added a photo of the setup under the tank. I've finally gotten it organized to my liking.

That's all I have now. Just started a 3 gallon breeder that will be a carpet of HC. If anyone's interested it's in my signature.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	475969  

Name:	IMG_0363.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	476097  

- 38 Gallon (
)

- 3 Gallon

Last edited by bweazel; 05-21-2015 at 03:51 AM. Reason: .
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 04:24 AM
Algae Grower

Looks great weazel, when the reat of the foreground fills in it will be stunning! thanks for the update
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Talking Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetzer View Post
Looks great weazel, when the reat of the foreground fills in it will be stunning! thanks for the update
Thanks, Hetzer. I'll do another update next month. Hopefully the HC fills in a bit more by then.

- 38 Gallon (
)

- 3 Gallon
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 06:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah tank looks good I've noticed a 38 gallon tank is a pretty uncommon size that most people don't usually go for. But I like the dimensions of them.

You should update more than once a month! just a suggestion... :-P

Last edited by Blackheart; 05-22-2015 at 06:29 PM. Reason: ...
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Yeah tank looks good I've noticed a 38 gallon tank is a pretty uncommon size that most people don't usually go for. But I like the dimensions of them.

You should update more than once a month! just a suggestion... :-P
Thanks, my friend. Ya... I would prefer more depth to the tank, as it's only 12 inches. Makes it a bit crammed for lighting and planting. It's still a nice size tank though, not too small, not too big. I'm learning more how to work with the dimensions as time goes by. I'll get something like yours when I'm done with this one, for sure.

You're right. I probably should do some more frequent updates with some close up shots of different parts of the tank and the fish. Thanks for the suggestion.

- 38 Gallon (
)

- 3 Gallon
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'd say personally IMO that 12 or 13 inches is plenty. But to each their own! Used to have a 75 that was really nice, but just not enough room where we live. 55 doesn't stick out so much.

Will be looking forward to whatever you do!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update: August 18, 2015

Not too much to report. It's been pretty quiet in the tank for the last three months. All livestock seems healthy, no algae problems, no leaks from any of the new gear... things are looking good.

The HC is growing in great.. but I'm curious if it's actually HC. What makes me skeptical is that in my 3 gallon tank I keep on my desk, I have the same HC, and it grows with no CO2. So maybe I got ripped off, maybe not. Still looks nice though. It will turn into a great carpet either way. I've removed the glass cover I had on it (which has caused noticeable evaporation), but it has definitely helped the growth oh the DHG and the HC.

I probably should have scooted the light back before I took photos... I think that much light on the foreground really drowned out the color in the photo. Oh well... next time I'll get better photos.

Here's the latest. Thanks all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0451.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	507825  

Name:	IMG_0452.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	507833  

Name:	IMG_0453.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	507841  

Name:	IMG_0458.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	507849  

Name:	IMG_0461.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	507857  

Name:	IMG_0462.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	507865  

Name:	IMG_0464.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	507873  

Name:	IMG_0468.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	507881  

- 38 Gallon (
)

- 3 Gallon

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode