10 gallon rimless tank journal/pictures/help needed/whats uppp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
10 gallon rimless tank journal/pictures/help needed/whats uppp

Hi all! I'm kinda new here, been posting around here and there but finally i got my tank set up.

I bought the stuff a few months ago, and I did an iwagumi set up with dwarf hairgrass and HC but i was too busy with school and neglected it and it went to crap. Plus my DIY canister filter was not DIY'd good enough and it poured about 5 gallons of water on to my floor. gg...

SO anyways... i bought some new stuff, got a rena xp2 filter from my brother and yeah! here it is

10 gallon rimless tank bought from exotic aquarium in sacramento
100 watt heater of some sort.
Rena XP2 filter with clear acrylic intake and output bars (since i got the filter used it was missing the hoses and stuff so i had to make my own)
DIY CO2 with ceramic diffuser
2x 23 watt CFL on for 8 hours a day

1.75 bags of flourite black and flourite black sand

Glosso in the foreground, giant hairgrass in the back, and something called "amano moss" that i got from AFA in SF.

I'm dosing API leaf zone once a week according to their instructions

10x white clouds
2x oto's
4x amano shrimp

Ok, enough words, now for pictures
FTS

Amano Shrimp

My glosso isn't doing too well, alot of what I initially planted melted but new growths are shooting up. However, its not forming the carpet I was hoping for.

I grew HC with only 28watts of light and it did fine until i started to neglect it, even pearled everyday, but someone this glosso isn't doing too well, any suggestions?

Oh, and this tank has been running for about 2 weeks now... I know I should be patient, but I can't help but think I'm doing something wrong. If someone can help me out here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 06:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
you either need more ferts, a steadier source of CO2 or the plants just need time to adjust. from what you've said, doesn't seem like you gave the tank much time to cycle. by going too fast, you may be kicking yourself in the butt pretty soon.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

well, i used the old substrate from my previous attempt, and I used filter media from an established tank thats been running for about a year.

I didn't add the fish and shrimp until just yesterday, so it had 2 weeks to cycle and i tested the water and it seemed all good.

looking at amano's books, seems like he plants the tank right after set up without cycling, so the plants should be ok? I dunno

Thanks for your input! i'll try dosing more often

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 08:35 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The glossos are growing vertically which suggest that the lighting is not enough
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 07:30 PM

Leaf zone is not a complete fertilizer, meaning it does not have the necessary nitrogen and phosphorous, or trace minerals your plants need. Your plants may even be getting too much potassium from the leaf zone fert.

The moss is dying, which is usually my indicator that something has gone truly and terribly wrong.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

interesting...

any suggestions on what would be a good fertilizer that will cover all the bases?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

cool looking layout itll look awsome when it fills out. btw what kind of rocks are those?. i might suggest a little more driftwood but thats just my opinion. i had the same problem with my glosso but i was only running a 6hr photoperiod. i just recently bumped it up to 9hrs and its starting to lay down flat on the substrate. i just started adding brighty k and the ada step 1 so maybe it was because i wasnt dosing any ferts. hope you find the answer to your problem!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Decomissioned tanks:

l

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 10:20 PM

Well a lot of people here dose dry fertilizers, but you can use just about any aquarium fertilizers that add up to a balanced diet of nitrogen, phosphate, potassium, and trace minerals. Might try the flourish line, or the ADA line...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (50/98%)
Estimative Index (E.I) uses dry ferts - a seach will reveal a lot of info.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

ah... thank you thank you, when i get more money i'll try to pick up some more ferts

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode