Thornwood Isle - 55 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thornwood Isle - 55 Gallon

This is my second tank. I have retired my 20 gallon long and stepped up in size. 55 gallon's are definitely a challenge to aquascape but I'm hoping this tank will give others inspiration for their tanks. 55's are so cheap during $1 per gallon sales they are hard to pass up.

I've always wanted to do an island type aquascape so that is what I'm shooting for with this setup. I got the driftwood at a shop locally. None of the pieces sank after two weeks so I have them anchored underneath the sand with slate and fishing line.

Right now the plants you see are artificial. I wanted to have some tall plants in the tank to cover up the heaters and filters. I may swap these out in the future or leave them and add in real plants over time. I'm debating on the placement of my existing crypts from my old tank. Most likely some may end up at the right side of the driftwood. I plan on getting a lot of needle leave java fern for the rest of the aquascape and possibly some Anubias. I really want low light plants that are don't shed leaves and need trimmed often.

The stand was all made by me from the plans made by RocketScientist on ReefCentral. The stand was easy to make and is super strong.

I used beadboard for the sides and front. The front itself is held on with door catch magnets. I wanted a clean seamless front.

I used velcro and felt for the background. I found some sticky backed velcro and put it along the frame of the tank and then just attached the felt. It looks really nice and wasn't much $.

Tank:
  • 55 Gallon

Stand
  • Custom made from plans by RocketScientist on ReefCentral

Filtration:
  • SunSun 304B
  • Aquaclear 50 (still in use on the 20, but will be moved)

Circulation:
  • Hydor Nano 425

Lighting:
  • Current USA Satellite Plus 48" LED

Heater:
  • 2 x 100 Watt Aqueon Pro (run at 77 F)

Substrate:
  • Black Diamond 20/40 Blasting Media from Tractor Supply

Stocking Plans upon cycle completion (adding a 2-3 fish every 3-5 days):

• 3 x Neon Tetra from old 20
  • 1 x German Blue Ram from old 20
  • 1 x Guppy from old 20
  • 6 x Espei Rasbora from old 20
  • 6 x Amano Shrimp from old 20
  • 5 x Snails from old 20

Addition Stocking Plans:

• 15 x Bloodfin Tetra
  • 6 x Espei Rasbora
  • 6-8 x Sterbai or Schwartzi Cory cats
  • Pair of Apistogamma (triple red or orange flash)
  • Possibly some native US darters (rainbow, greenside, etc)
  • Possibly some Pseudomugil or Gertrudae rainbows
  • Possibly Rainbow shiners

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
What kind of wood is that? Your hardscape is SICK!

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridHerp View Post
What kind of wood is that? Your hardscape is SICK!
Thanks for the comment. I'm really loving it as well. I think the lines in it are really nice. No idea what most of it is. It was just from the bin at my local shop. The far right piece that has a horizontal fork I got off ebay from a guy who pulls it out of a river.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update:
Fish, snails, shrimp, and plants from my 20 have been moved over. I was able to split one of my big crypts into 10 small plantlets. I also planted some of the tall good looking Cyperus Helferi.

Near Future:
One of my Espei rasbora jumped so I think I'm going to buy 10 of them so I have a nice strong school first. I plan on going to a big GCCA swap in December so I hope to pick up a pair of Apistogramma too.

For the background I'm going to focus on finding a tall Anubias or two, Bolbitis, and tall Java fern. I might pick up some Buce for the driftwood down the road when I see good deals.

I came up with a golden ratio drawing for giggles too:

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2014, 12:53 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
That's quite a stunning driftwood arrangement. Great start!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Big update to the tank. I purchased some Bolbitis, Anubias, and Java Fern. All of these are new plants for me and I'm super stoked. I ended up getting 2 good clumps of Bolbitis and a little tiny starter that I hope takes off. They are basically in dead center of the driftwood. I got 3 really nice large Anubias and 4 Java Ferns. The Anubias species are Nanji in the back right and Nana in the back middle left area. I've tucked the Java fern throughout and can't wait to see all of these grow out. They are all tied to rocks so if I need to move them down the road it should be easy. I also moved some of my crypts from the far left and made a small little island on the right. The Cyperus Helferi just wasn't working out very well.

I've also added 10 Bloodfin Tetra. They school pretty well. Not as great as I'd hoped though. My next purchase will be some Schwartzi Cories (probably 6) and maybe a couple SAE's. My really tall plants are getting hair algae near the top and I'm not sure how to beat that yet. My Amano's don't seem to like to go up that high. They really like to eat and poop driftwood all day. :/

Initial layout when the plants came in:

Latest layout:

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice tank,discus would be the perfect fish for your tank...

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 02:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Lemon tetras. Just saying... as for the algae, feed your plants! Balance your light with co2 available and dose nutrients accordingly. Otherwise you will have a nice hardscape to distract people from your algae farm oh and get more cories if you can afford it. They will be happier and so will you.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the comments. Discus are neat but my water is way too hard and high in pH. I'm definitely back on dosing PPI everyday with Excel. Hoping now that I've got a good amount of plants the hair algae will go away. I'll definitely think about more Cory's.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's been a while since I've updated. I've purchased some new fish and had some of my plants die off over time. I'm adding some iron in now with my PPS Pro ferts and Excel twice a week.

Current Stocking:

2 Kamaka Rainbows
3 New Guinea Rainbows (1 male 2 females)
1 Bosemani Rainbow
1 Brichardi Cichlid (got him as a juvie to see if he won't be aggressive over time)
1 SAE
3 Neon Tetra
6 Bloodfin Tetra
5 Espei Rasbora

Future Stocking:
7-8 Schwartzi Cories
More Neons

Tank Progression Of The Past Months

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode