The lost shrimp city tank log - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The lost shrimp city tank log

After deciding to consolidate many of my tanks I ended up trading the 84g Osaka forest and buying a 24g Nuvo aquarium (which will be combining some 5/10g shrimp tanks)

I have been doing renos and knew it would be a month or two before I could flood it so I scavenged various other tanks for a few chunks of driftwood for the new design. Once i had something I like pillaged nose of the glosso from my 5g cube to get the dry start rolling

This was a painful process.glossso growed slow as molasses compared to HC. Real slow but yet I let it do its thing for almost 2 months

The tank was sitting on a flimsy cube stand. Yet it was the perfect size for the tanks footprint.. So I got to work and reinforced it.

A little mud and paint and I had and vola!

And awesome super tough stand just waiting for the new tank

With my new stable stand ready it was time to fill her up

I added a giant bag of bio media from another tank. Let it stabilizes over night checked my parameters and added the first batch of Shrimp

I put in 8-10 CRS/CBS originally. Then added another 10 ish today. I'll prob add a batch every second day until I clean out the other tanks

I'm very happy with how it turned out!

Shot of night mode

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 07:45 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Looking real good. Keep up the good work.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 07:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Feed those shrimp well as the tank is not actually mature enough for it to have any natural food for them in it yet. 90 days is one suggested minimum that I read.
But that should look really nice after the Glossos gets full. Nice piece of driftwood also.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Added another couple batches of shrimp.. I'm throwing in a few food tabs every day so they shouldnt go hungry

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Added some pogo helferi today thanks to greenfin!

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 04:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
You're not using any co2?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yes I am, just at a decently low rate (bubble every 2.5 seconds ish) as i dont know where the drop checker form my last tank disappeared to.. have a new one on order from.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Disco party In the tank

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Today I added a quieter pump with a little less flow so the shrimps won't have to live in raging Rapids. 450gph>250gph. I also added a co2 atomizer and 3 ottos a few days ago

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 07:57 AM
Planted Member

I really like this tank...the glosso is filling in nicely and Anubias is probably my favorite plant, I love when they flower, and there always seems to be two or three flowers in my tanks. I'm sure its fun to watch the shrimp crawling all around the tank.

Are those almond leaves in the back left? They're a bit distracting from the scape in my opinion...I think they look best (read most natural) laying on the substrate, but that's not really an option in this tank, with the limited space and all the groundcover. Is there room to put them in the back of the tank, in the "overflow/filter" area where they won't be seen? Or do they actually need to be in the display area for added benefit to the shrimp? (I'm not a shrimp keeper)

Also, maybe I missed it, but what is the light fixture you're running on this tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art by Stef* View Post
I did have a bluegill once that ate cooked pasta and bologna rinds as a treat.
Then again, that fish would probably bite on a cigarette butt.

-Stef*
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you!

The Shrinp do graze on the Indian almond leaves so it's good to be in the display area. I could always break them up and put them behind the driftwood to hide it! Not bad idea.

The light fixture is an ecoexotic e-series. I love the light on this tank.

Glosso is finally filling in more on the right side
It will awesome once it's a Complete carpet

I added some CPDs and exclamation rasboras from another tank I'm taking down to attempt a nano marine tank

Last edited by shift; 12-09-2014 at 11:14 PM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks great,excellent choice of plants,cheers

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I finally almost have a nice lush carpet...slowly but surely! On the flip side it's extremely low maintenance. .. Which is nice compared to some of my previous tanks!

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Feeding frenzy

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 11:32 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Impressed. Love this tank and that it is full of shrimp.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode