Cube attempt-take one-pic heavy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (49/100%)
Cube attempt-take one-pic heavy

Here's my 18"x20"x21" Oceanic cube. I say first attempt in title as I am not sure if the layout is just want I wanted. I left it alot more open than I originally planned but since its already set this way I figured let it go for a few monthes and see what happens. Besides gives me lots of room for fishys. Here's some setup pics.

The rocks, divider and mulm from top:

Front:

Water added:

Plants added:

From the top:

Filled:

Filled left with rock on floater:

Sponge added:

UV Added for a couple days to push water...didn't see green but only had sponge on the tank for the moment:

Left after UV:

Front today with filter and co2 running for 3 days finally:

And the left:

Thanks for looking and I will update this to let you see how it grows in. Comments welcomed and appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow, I like the idea. Fits the cube well. Can't wait to see it grow in! Any thoughts on livestock if any?

My New Re-scaped 56 Gallon Journal~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My old 56G

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 10:23 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
some angels would look sweet in that . even one or 2 discus. juvies tho keep it up!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe
i love seeing cube tanks, im working on one now. I agree on the center setup for the cube. Great tank.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 02:24 AM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
I like this so far. Can you list the flora so far? What is the substrate in front and are you planning on having the hairgrass fill it in?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Wow, I like the idea. Fits the cube well. Can't wait to see it grow in! Any thoughts on livestock if any?
Thanks MikeP, I appreciate the comments. I can't wait either as there are a couple plants that I would like to spread out on. Livestock plans were sort of made yesterday but I may change them. Original thoughts were for it to start with 8 Otos and slowly move down to 4 as it balances, 6 Hatchets and 10 Three-Lined Pencilfish.

I have been tossing around making an order from an online fish supplier and so far have only found Boxlotfish.com that carries the fish I am looking for at a decent price. Suggestions of another site to check out would be awesome. I have 4 tanks that are basically fish less and an online order just seems to make sense.

But that being said and midnightk mentioning....

Quote:
some angels would look sweet in that . even one or 2 discus. juvies tho keep it up!
With that comment I thought maybe a few angels would look good. I have a couple in a community tank that I could take out and toss in to see how they look in there. I will take some pics of it for sure and see what you think. Thanks Midnightk.

Quote:
i love seeing cube tanks, im working on one now. I agree on the center setup for the cube. Great tank.
Yeah cubes draw me in for sure. I saw this one on craigslist for a steal and couldn't resist. I love having multilple ways to view the tank and where it sits I get the opportunity to see it all. It seems the center setup is the best but when this fills in I am sure I will break it down and do something new. Thanks for the comments Wicket.

Quote:
I like this so far. Can you list the flora so far? What is the substrate in front and are you planning on having the hairgrass fill it in?
Thanks Cah. The substrate in front is Xengu forest sand that I had left over from the front of my 60gallon. The hairgrass is actually Lilaeopsis mauritius which is a narrow leaf chain sword thats suppose to grow a bit faster and under easier conditions then regular Micro sword. I don't plan on it filling in and in fact didn't plan on this going in the tank but I had some left over and had to put it down somewhere. It looks ok now but if it starts spreading I am not sure what I will do. It may look ok filled in, huh?

I will come back and do a complete flora list in a bit.

Thanks for looking everyone.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Okay heres the plant list Cah925. Got a bit busy at home but finally got to it.

Limnophila aromatica hippuroides
Didiplis diandra
Giant Hairgrass
Hygrophila corymbosa Kompakt
Tropica Sword
Petite Anubias Nana
Java fern 'Trident'
Lilaeopsis mauritius
Taiwan Moss in the back moss spots
Flame moss on the two front pieces of wood

Bit of diatoms has showed up on the moss and in the sand close to the area where the Aquasoil leaches thru. Here's a pic of it today with three 33% water changes done since last shown. Gonna do two or three more and then release some otos.

Now that I put up pics I realize I am slacking on this one for water change....gonna up that. Also noticing that the Limno. isn't growing perfect so need to do more research on that one. I read that it's very close to regular aromatica so hopefully this is hippuroides....it was a deep purple when I got it on top and bottom and some of them stem. I put it in some other tanks so hopefully I find a spot that it likes. Any advice on this plant would be awesome. I was hoping it would want to grow taller like regular aromatica and show up behind the diandra but so far its growing to slow to stick out above. Regular diandra trims are for sure in this tank.

So to address the bit of diatoms I have raised light and cut the light period and attacked it during water changes. I have only dosed some potassium twice. Any suggestions when I should start up a regular dose? I started too early on one tank and the aquasoil was still doing it's thing so I want to wait a bit longer this time. I am thinking I will half dose starting next week to see though as most of the soil used this time was mulm.

Thanks for looking.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
I would start dosing now. No reason to wait.

Limno isn't a particularly fast grower, it might take some time before it gets much height. You'll appreciate that soon

As for the fish order with boxlotfish, contact Lauralee about her experience with them. Not too good from what I remember.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 11:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
nice
im sure it looks way in person

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode