29gal 10/20 Update- a change of venue (56k!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 125 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
29gal 10/20 Update- a change of venue (56k!)

Another project currently underway is an Asian tank that will eventually house some dwarf chain loaches, a school of dwarf rasboras, and some wild-type bettas. This tank will primarily feature Crypts.

Last night I began the initial setup.

Specs:
29gal tank
Rena XP2
Coralife 2x18 T5NO
25lb black Colorquartz
9L ADA Amazonia II
big honking piece of Malaysian driftwood

Current plants:
C. wendtii 'bronze'
I also have a ton of Lilaeopsis I'll be trying as the carpet, we'll see how it does for me in low light.

Expected in this week from Aquatic Plant Depot (not all these plants will go in this tank):

Cryptocorynes: Balansae ( CRP513 3 1.58
Cryptocoryne crispatula
v. "Balansae Green"
Cryptocorynes: Becketti CRP507 1 1.58
(Cryptocoryne becketti)
Cryptocorynes: Blassii CRP510 1 1.58
(Cryptocoryne blassii v.
"Broad Leaf"
Cryptocorynes: Lutea CRP503 1 1.26
(Cryptocoryne lutea)
Cryptocorynes: Petchii CRP507 1 1.58
(Cryptocoryne petchii)
Cryptocorynes: CRP512 3 1.58
Retrospiralis
Cryptocoryne
retrospiralis)
Cryptocorynes: CRP502 1 1.26
Wendtii-Red (Cryptocoryne
wendtii)
Cryptocorynes: Willisii CRP500 1 1.26
(Cryptocoryne willisii)
Cryptocorynes: Ciliata CRP504 1 1.26
(Cryptocoryne ciliata)
New Arrivals: Red Melon None 1 2.97
md(echinodorus barthii)
Floating & Spawning: SFP963 1 3.31
Frogbit (Limnobium
spongia)
Swords: Ozelot Medium SSP430 1 2.99
(Echinodorus Ozelot)
Subtotal 28.53
Shipping 12.00
Tax 2.16
Total 42.69

And here's the pics. Still a LOT Of work to do:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lauraleellbp; 10-20-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 125 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Send a message via MSN to fishbguy1
:O

That's alot of plants! haha I can't wait.

*can't see pics...stupid school computers*

65 gallon low tech planted
post #3 of 125 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
wow thats a long list of plants

cant wait to see it planted

"real cars don't have spark plugs"

post #4 of 125 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
she said not all those plants will go in that tank... :P
post #5 of 125 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
You're not kidding, that really is one big honking piece of driftwood! I like where you're going with this one. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the crypts. That's pretty much why my 5g has practically nothing but crypts in it!

As a side note, since I've always gone and picked up my plants from them in person, I never knew what shipping would cost at apd... $12 is an awesome deal for shipping on all those plants!

I'm subscribing!

Last edited by Church; 10-28-2008 at 03:49 AM.
post #6 of 125 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogoo View Post
she said not all those plants will go in that tank... :P
The C. balanse for sure will go in, in the back left corner.

I'm debating trying the C. retrospiralis in the right corner to balance it out.

C. ciliata I think will go in the background to the right of the C. retrospiralis.

The smaller crypts I'm going to arrange around the driftwood and midground.

I'm debating adding some C. parva... we'll see how it looks once the other crypts and the microsword is in place.

Church- yeah, I couldn't pass up the deal once I figured I'd probably never be able to get the same variety from a fellow hobbyist with the same low shipping cost. When buying in bulk, online distributors definitely have an edge.

post #7 of 125 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

So I did my first 85% water change today. This is going to get old if I have to keep it up with the old bucket brigade, and only adding the water into the tank little at a time to keep from disturbing the AS... and still having to replant the crypts after each time...

post #8 of 125 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
My water started out cloudy from my substrate but with my filter running full blast, and a little help from API's "ACCU-CLEAR", it cleared up in 2-3 days with no water changes.

My New Re-scaped 56 Gallon Journal~

My old 56G

post #9 of 125 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
sounds good laura.

try putting the bucket higher then the tank, and then use airline tubing to fill the tank via siphon. it will take ages, but thats exactly what will keep the AS from being disturbed. plus then you dont have to hold it up while you try to pour it in slowly.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #10 of 125 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeP_123 View Post
My water started out cloudy from my substrate but with my filter running full blast, and a little help from API's "ACCU-CLEAR", it cleared up in 2-3 days with no water changes.
I don't think you were using ADA AquaSoil in your tank. This stuff requires a special kind of cycle due to the massive amounts of ammonia it will release for at least a few weeks (if not a month or more...)

post #11 of 125 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
try putting the bucket higher then the tank, and then use airline tubing to fill the tank via siphon. it will take ages, but thats exactly what will keep the AS from being disturbed. plus then you dont have to hold it up while you try to pour it in slowly.
I'd have to put the bucket on my head!!

Last time I tried that, I ended up wearing more water than actually got where it was supposed to go... (I was actually in Africa trying to carry water the way all the other girls were doing it... it takes much more skill than I've got, that's for sure!!! I've got some old pics around somewhere, showing me looking like a drowned rat smeared with red clay. We were building a house for Habitat. I need to find that album and scan those pics some day. )

post #12 of 125 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 03:08 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
That's one big chunk o' wood
I can't wait to see where this one goes

-Chris

post #13 of 125 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Sorry no pics, camera is off travelling the country with my hubby and I can't figure out how to work my Treo camera...

Was too tired for my water change yesterday. I'm going to do it tonight before I go to bed, though. My order from Aquatic Plant Depot came in today. Good thing I already have some C. wendtii, b/c the ones they sent are TINY! LOL The other plants all look in pretty good shape, though. Fairly certain everything was grown emersed. I'm going to go ahead and put all the crypts in the tank and see which ones end up doing the best. I also pulled the needle-leafed java fern and hygro angustifolia over from my 46gal.

I need to remember to bring my test kits home from work so I can start getting levels on this tank. Since I added plenty of tank mulm at the start and my XP2 was already cycled, I'm hoping this cycle will be shortened. The water discoloration from the tannins and ammonia in the DW and AS are pretty pronounced, though- even with Purigen in the filter.

The water isn't at all cloudy from particles, though. I think it's b/c I did those partial water changes right at the beginning before I ever fully filled the tank to pull out all the dust. Also helps that I've done a big water change after each planting, and been super-careful when refilling the tank to minimize disturbing the substrate.

post #14 of 125 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
100% of all the crypts I've ever bought from them were grown submerged. What I did notice, though, is that when they are overstocked, they let some float, and I think half of the plants start acting like they're emersed, or something to that effect. I'd say about 90% (if not more) of their property is devoted to growing aquatic plants submerged.

But they do have a greenhouse type structure up towards the front of the property, and I think it's mostly for the bog plants, or pond plants, but I wouldn't doubt if they use it for growing out plants that will eventually be submerged. So far, the only plant I've ever bought from them which was gotten from that greenhouse was a pot of giant hairgrass.

As far as I know, all of the crypts (at least the ones I got) were taken from submerged concrete pools under natural lighting.
post #15 of 125 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

I'm fairly sure that these weren't. The leaves were too thick and the stems too rigid. Going through quite a bit of melt ATM, but that's probably also at least partially due to the high ammonia from the ADA AS. My work schedule has been so crazy I haven't been able to keep up with the daily water changes, so I'm trying to get by with every other day... so I know the ammonia is absolutely skyrocketing. The tank water looks like tea...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode