700 Gallon Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
700 Gallon Tank

Hello All,

I work in the industry for a large and reputable retailer of all things aquariums. On top of the many display tanks and retail systems I take care of, I am responsible for a 700 gallon community aquarium. Though mostly just hardscaped for much of it's 8 year life, I have recently been moving it towards a planted tank. Here are some specs...

Display: 96" x 48" x 36" tall

Lighting: 2 x Ecoxotic 100w elliptical cannons (modified with 7000K chips)

Filtration: Sump system, dual wet-dry filters, 2 x 100 micron socks, 25w UV, about 10 pounds of purigen run passively

Livestock: Phew.... Just my guess
30 x Fully Grown Denison Barbs
100 x Congo Tetras
15 x Red Tapajos Eartheaters
10 x Cupid Cichlids
25 x Clown Loachs
50 x Harlequin Rasboras
Over a dozen plecos including Green Phantoms, Gold Nuggets, Galaxy, King Tiger, 3 x frog plecos, a medium sized panaque, and many more.
1 x Angelfish

The water chemistry is the following:

NO3: ~40ppm
Temp: 80 degrees
pH: ~7

Anyways.... in the tank itself, many of the plants are doing well but a lot of the java ferns and anubias have struggled to grow and seem to brown out and fade away. The fish are a little hard on the plants, but the tank is well fed. I feel like something is off.

Because of the open filtration, the tank does not run compressed CO2, I do typically add ~70mL of Brightwell Florinaxis. I used to add Seachem Excel and it worked better, but the recently added 4' tall Jungle Vallisneria Gigantea does not tolerate it.

Any ideas? Reef tanks are my specialty, and though I know my way around a basic planted tank, this has me stumped.

Here are some pictures, some people on this board may have seen this tank in person if they live in Socal...

Bit of a glare, but you can see the livestock well...

Here are some pictures of the plants that are not doing well.

Lighting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:50 PM
Algae Grower

where is this shop? i live in socal, would love to give it a visit.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmilkcandy View Post
PM sent

Here are some of our other planted tanks as well...

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Leaves are going to age and die. Could it be time for some pruning? Remove dead/dying leaves and evaluate again. Not all leaves go out gracefully!

Perhaps phosphate and potassium is low? Or hardness? Doubt hardness but my bright/CO2 enhanced tank does need added magnesium and calcium even in So Calif.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Leaves are going to age and die. Could it be time for some pruning? Remove dead/dying leaves and evaluate again. Not all leaves go out gracefully!

Perhaps phosphate and potassium is low? Or hardness? Doubt hardness but my bright/CO2 enhanced tank does need added magnesium and calcium even in So Calif.
Good point, I do add most of the seachem line of ferts. I usually add iron, potassium, flourish, and flourish trace once or twice a week.

The tank is 50/50 De-ionized and tap, so the kH and gH are low even for being in California.

Most of the plants are fairly new, less than 6 months old. I'd think aging plants but it seems to be pretty across the board, yellowing and browning, then algae covers them a bit.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 05:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmilkcandy View Post
I second this comment. I'd love to check the store out too!

Old tanks, all torn down:
-
-
-
-

Hope to get a new tank (or two) up soon...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 07:29 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
The store is Aquatic Warehouse in San Diego. Nice place, I get in lots of trouble with my wife there!

Dan K
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 10:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
looks like just gravel for the substrate, or is there something else I'm not seeing?

--Rob--

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rininger85 View Post
looks like just gravel for the substrate, or is there something else I'm not seeing?
It is gravel. All the plants are kept on the wood.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bump!

Last night I removed several of the dying ferns, trimmed the anubias and added about 8 giant java ferns.

The left side after the trim

New ferns

Size reference
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Can you gt a more full photo of the riparium on the 700 (the above water plants, i saw some Syngonium in with it I believe).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (30/100%)
I love this place. I used to be here at least once a week, when I used to live with my parents. Not sure if the staff is the same though. Anyways. nice set up.

I think some large pieces of Bolbitis Heudelottii would look nice in there mixed with the Java ferns and maybe some moss to give it an aged look.

I agree with Kathyy, I probably would up the dosage a little on the NPK and Iron. Also if you can get ahold of some nicely large specimens of Amano shrimp and some SAE's, they can help control with the algae.

~Tyrone~

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone View Post
I agree with Kathyy, I probably would up the dosage a little on the NPK and Iron. Also if you can get ahold of some nicely large specimens of Amano shrimp and some SAE's, they can help control with the algae.
Amano shrimp wouldn't last a minute. We has some massive SAE's maybe about 6" long. They were way to hard on the plants

Here it is after the reaquascape

Red Tapajos

Blue Angel

Little bit of the filter

I have more pictures coming. Their slowly transferring from my phone

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Can you gt a more full photo of the riparium on the 700 (the above water plants, i saw some Syngonium in with it I believe).
Upon request....

One of the green phantoms being social
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2014, 12:55 PM
Algae Grower

Always love seeing the denison barb/congo tetra combination tanks. They just seem to work well together, especially when they're in an appropriate sized tank like this beast lol
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 08:25 AM
Algae Grower

Have a look at EI fertilizing, even for low light tanks feeding is needed, do some low dosis once a week. (add KNO2, MgSO4, KH2PO4 and some micro's)

Bigger is better !!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode