30gal Xhigh tank rescape journal *Update w/pics*5/11/09 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
30gal Xhigh tank rescape journal *Update w/pics*5/11/09

*if you want to skip this and see where im at there is an update on page 3 (5/11/09)

So after about 5 months of algae, and a little bit of extra cash... I think its time to try something new.

So as of now this is my sad excuse of a planted tank ( I know the water level is low when I took this >.< ) RIP rest in pieces..( got to page 2 to find out more)

the algae is better than what it was.. but that was after heavy doses of hydrogen peroxide

I think my lack of money and urge to try and " jump right in" attitude is what sunk this ship. I have more money, I have some-what of a plan, and I hope for more success.

So, having an extra high tank makes things hard to 'scape', with a small footprint of 24"X12" the only place to go is up. which makes things harder to 'scape'. being some what of an artist, I drew some rough compositional sketches as my "plan" my goal is more plant mass.

I do not know what plants to put in there specifically so I just kinda scribbled them in hopefully you can get the "gist" of what Im trying to portray. Im planning on making a moss wall on the back because I saw how great some of those make the tank (AND because my tank is scratched to *&%$! from the previous owner, so the more I can cover up the better)

In the second sketch im really thinking about putting a mound in the back corner to add alittle interest. opinions?

Hows is duck weed as a ground cover? having a deep tank Im not sure how much light penetrates to the bottom so Im thinking of lowlight ground covers. will it even grow in the substrate? Ive only seen it floating.

So ANy Way, my old substrate is Unidentified softball dirt and pea gravel. and I hated trying to keep them separated so im going to keep it simple and stick to one kind. Personally I still have trouble getting myself to shelling out $30+for fluorite or Eco, or other types of substrates. so I found this at a local nursery for $9 a bag.

And the root tabs, $10 for 10 TABS? I dont think so..

$10 for 65 tabs is more like it :P

And im giving co2 injection a try. Since my tank is suffering from co2 fluctuations and a massive stag horn outbreak. So I bought this to keep levels consistent ( I hope )

that will have a tube going to a bubble counter then into a power head to defuse and circulate water better.

So that's all I got for now ladies and gents, maybe ill make progress this weekend.

criticism/opinions/love?

Last edited by creAtive; 05-11-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I rinsed my substrate today, the PondCare Planting Media. I am quite happy with the color. Its a nice Reddish color. I dont have my camera right now (being borrowed by my sister) but I will post pics for those of you who are curious within the next few days
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 10:46 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Sounds like a plan. You're gonna love the co2

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
what kind of co2 reg is that?
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Send a message via AIM to chuukus
Is that an actual regulator or just a valve i remember seeing somthing like that and it did not regulate pressure and just ran full bottle pressure to a needle valve. I would be kinda leary about using that.

im not telling you for sure its not a regulator dont take this wrong but u should make sure its safe to use. I dont want to see anyone get hurt im pretty sure someone was selling something similar and trying to pass it off as a reg when it was not.
PLEASE BE CAREFULL
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks good. Don't think you will be able to get a duck weed foreground though. What kind of light do you have? If you are worried that you don't have enough you could try something like Cryptocoryne wendtii. It comes in green, copper, and red. The color refers more to the stem and underside than the top of the leaf though.

My New Re-scaped 56 Gallon Journal~

My old 56G

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I almost bought the same substrate, keep us posted on how it goes. GLK!

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuukus View Post
Is that an actual regulator or just a valve i remember seeing something like that and it did not regulate pressure and just ran full bottle pressure to a needle valve. I would be kinda leary about using that.

im not telling you for sure its not a regulator dont take this wrong but u should make sure its safe to use. I dont want to see anyone get hurt im pretty sure someone was selling something similar and trying to pass it off as a reg when it was not.
PLEASE BE CAREFULL
Hmm good point. I have not gotten the bottle filled yet, so I can not exactly test it. Ill be running some errands tomorrow one of which is getting the tank filled. so we'll find out.

heres were I got it, and such. it was much cheaper than the RED SEA paintball system... Hopefully I wont pay for it in the end, I hate how that happens

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/239899/product.web?gdftrk=xh23lc0p/7HDy~g3JgKLc21TwkeJ2S9BkUI8CEjsU43Ff7V/FIB8HL47td3vyoyNbwmKhUsrly3aGIwjdw0VBaX7XWaRSqRyof tNpn~cxjGPnjIV1w/NK0YQiX1Bm/ewcEK/2XtB5uYZhTtNje2tjvH1fLel4H3CESNIxkrGUCrkyYAsrQ~zRB hkSUEosDlL

as for lighting, Right now its my hodge-podged eclipse hood with 2, 28w corallife CFs one at 6500k the other at 10,000k. so nothing crazy intense. Im thinking about figuring out a way to get a shop light, or retrofit, something a little more substantial. thats another project down the road
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

alright, SO. some bad news. so I disassembled my tank today to get all the old substrate and water out. I guess it didn't like all that Man handling and it chipped on me. bad enough that I dont want to run the risk of it breaking... some time when Im not at home.

Im deciding to invest in an acrylic tank because this tank is in a loft I do not need any breaks at all. ( I dodged a bullet the first time,now for some security investments)

Because it is an acrylic tank my eclipse hood wont fit SO. I must figure out a way to filter and lighting. SO this thread/journal will have a large portion of DIY material. or Ill succumb to the cost of buying new items. Ill be getting a 20 gal tank unfortunately aswel because the a 30 gal xtall tank is too rare. and I need a tank with a footprint of 24x12 to fit my stand

Good news tho I got my CO2 tank filled and the regulator will regulate the pressure. but its VERY sensitive. So thats the small amount of good news for ya's

Any opinions on what I should do? :/
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 03:27 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Are you sure you want acrylic? They are so scratch-prone, and you've already invested in the hood.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Im not sure -sure, but I need to make sure the tank will never break, my old tank was covered in scratches from the previous owner. and as far as the hood, Im pretty handy, but if I cant get it to fit I guess ill have to go with something else. you see, I got the Eclipse hood, and tank and stand for 30 bucks so it was a steal anyway. Ill just have to find another alternative
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Have u ever thought of building an acrylic tank yourself? I dont know what your tool situation is but i find it to be verry easy to build tanks 50 gallons and smaller with ACRYLITE FF. I buy sheets of 3/8 for around 140$ i havent had any problems with scratches and if u do happend to put a scratch in it u can easily buff it out

glad to hear about the reg if it works good u cant beat it for 30 bucks

If your interested in building a acrylic tank let me know ill post some pics of mine and can talk u through it step by step. This hobby is expensive and i try to diy everything i can.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
can i suggest a diffuser for the CO2, it will help?

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuukus View Post
Have u ever thought of building an acrylic tank yourself? I dont know what your tool situation is but i find it to be verry easy to build tanks 50 gallons and smaller with ACRYLITE FF. I buy sheets of 3/8 for around 140$ i havent had any problems with scratches and if u do happend to put a scratch in it u can easily buff it out

glad to hear about the reg if it works good u cant beat it for 30 bucks

If your interested in building a acrylic tank let me know ill post some pics of mine and can talk u through it step by step. This hobby is expensive and i try to diy everything i can.
hmmm, My tool situation is pretty above average Id say. So Im sure I can do it. Does it involve glue? and seams? cause thats why Im going with acrylic, so that there will be no seams to pop. I gotta quote at my LFS for 80$ for a 20 gallon, not that cheap but it is brand new and what not. Ill use my handy work to focus in more on reconstructing my lights and possibly a filter system to save money that way.

like I mentioned before this tank will be placed in my room which is a Loft above the familyroom/kitchen SO it would be disasterious if it were to leak or break. 80 bucks is a small price to pay for the damage that "could" be done ya know?

and for a CO2 deffuser, I was jsut going to run a line into a powerhead have it defuse it that way. I already have the powerhead and im not looking to spend much more money on " accessories" untill I get an acctual tank

Ill post pics of the chipped tank later tonight, gotta go in to work for a bit..
*&%$ing retail
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The reason I suggested building an acrylic tank is so u can build it so your lights will fit perfectly. You will have seams if you build a tank and the glue is a solvent that welds the acrylic together its called weld on. My first tank I built was 48 gallons and no leaks. Theres a ton possibleities u can integrate when u build a tank yourself like built in filter compartment and its easy to drill for bulkheads wherever you want. IMO a 20 gallon would be a simple first project as long as u have a router the most important thing is to have clean smooth edges to seam together. If you are interested in trying this I suggest u check out melevsreef.com this guy has great information on working with acrylic he builds custon sumps for reefs and makes it look easy but really its not that hard if you have some patients.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode