30G Oceanic Cube- Looking to Get Serious (56k) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
30G Oceanic Cube- Looking to Get Serious (56k)

So.....

I started this tank with no planning, as the 65g FOWLR-->REEF in the living room "was going to be our only tank in this little apartment!".

Well, the wifey and I chose a Koi theme for the nursery and my little fish geek brain went to work on tank ideas.

We have for your consumption:
30G Cube
Fluval 405
70W SunPod
20lbs EcoComplete

I just made up a DIY CO2 bottle Friday, so far no bubbles (and no leaks ?!)

Livestock is not the usual, as "the tank will match the nursery".... Three fantail goldfish and some glass shrimp. And oddly, no the fish don't eat the plants or shrimps (I know, wait till they get bigger!)

Plants, I do not have a complete list as I haven't (*shame*) ID'd them all: Rotala indica, E.sp (amazonia?) (x2) Ludwigia repens, Bacopa Caroliniana, Microsorum pteropus. And some others...

Originally had some river rocks on top of the substrate, but they were coated with algae (as were the plants). Which I still have some probs with on glass. Been through a few ideas on that (green spot, green dust, biogenic decalcification) however I'm focusing on getting C02 levels up, ordering an 8000K HQI, and purchasing better quality ferts. So here are some pics of the process so far:

Oh, and GO SOX!!! We just did it again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 04:14 AM
Algae Grower

I'm wanting to set up a goldfish planted tank too. I'll be eager to see how this progresses. I have even thought of a 30 gallon cube...however I think I'm going to convert my 65 gallon tall reef tank (that is currently home to mostly mojano pest anemones) into the goldfish tank.

Have your goldies nipped any of the plants?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Not with any damage. Which is really surprising given the "delicate" nature of Rotala. They'll pick here and there but nothing alarming. I'm sure that will change when they hit the 2"+ range. I've had luck in other gold/planted tanks with hardys like anubias.

Funny you should mention taking down your 65! I just broke mine down last weekend and put the only three fish (YT Blue Damsel, Flame Hawk, Royal Gramma) in a 10 for now and the rock in a 29. All because......Aptasia! and Turf Algae! Gonna drill out for bigger overflows.

I just realized you said you had a 65 tall. I'm guessing that's not the 36"X18"? If not, depending on how many golds you were planning, you may want to look for something with more surface area. They are food AND oxygen pigs!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 12:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
`Looking good. I don't have much for suggestions or comments but i want to say

Welcome to THE PLANTED TANK!!!

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks SeaSerpent. I've really liked this site, glad to now be a part of the community.

Any suggestions are welcome. Like I said, really had no plan for this. Excited to see what it will look like when the Ludwigia and Bacopa fill in. Hope it's not too much next to the Rotala already there. Thinking of taking out a sword as two in a cube seems a bit much. Ya think?

equinecpa
:

Dug up an OLDE pic of a gold/plant tank. This shubunkin was about 4" for ref. Never messed with the plants. (Wish this pic had came out better, really like it)

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe
Once the 2 swords start growing they may over take the tank of that size. I had 2 overtake a 55, but that was over about 2 years, it def outcompeted all the other plants in my tank.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, things are growing. Finally sorted out the CO2 issue. Killed first batch of yeast. Was trying aseptic method and apparently hadn't waited long enough.

Needs some trimmming, but now that the Ludwigia and Bacopa have shot up I can make a decent background. The swords are definitely gonna go as soon as I get a proper substrate for the tank I have going at the in-laws. Thinking of reverting back to some anubias in their place. Any thoughts on foregrounders?

Ughh, sorry about water spots. Trying to snap some quickies before the little guy went to sleep.

Last edited by manhatton; 11-16-2008 at 02:12 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wow. Very nice. I love how much growth you have got. Have you thought about any crypts or low growing plants?

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, I actually thought I had a crypt when I bought it, but turns out to be a ruffled sword. I found some Lobelia cardinalis on a site in 'small form' that i think will be nice.

I'm beginning to see why most cube's are done in Iwagumi or similar style. For now I think I'll keep on with this untill it grows out and I've seen it's limits.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Damn, sorry about chopping those links.

Gave some trimmings, and spaced out the stems. Still think the rotala could look better. Could the bunches have too many stems? There's about 8-10 per bunch.

Got a bundle of goodies today from a shop owner going out of business, including a Red Sea drop checker. Isn't the best looking but it was $2! Also snagged the Turbo Bio kit ($10) as I wrecked my Hagen ladder (see below, ouch!) I figured I'll give the lil' powerhead a try.

Any thoughts?

Doh!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode