10g Scape: Crypts & Fp. amieti now using LEDs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
10g Scape: Crypts & Fp. amieti now using LEDs

My current planted tank, this pic is from when I tried doing a carpeting of Christmas Moss under a 40w Current Satellite. It requires constant trimming and is starting to grow algae over the moss, so I'm guessing a change is gonna come soon.

I very recently replaced the light with a 70w Current SunPod I had left over from a reef tank upgrade, and am thinking of trying HC or Glosso as a groundcover. I'll probably switch from GloFish to Cardinal Tetras as well since the GloFish were more of a cycling fish when I started this tank.

Last edited by jonbar1; 04-19-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Title Change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I Just gotta say, I really like the way your tank looks, algae and all. Love the look of the rock and the wild moss growing everywhere! No background and the tank is not perfectly level but I still like it. Could be the color of your fish, just balances the picture perfectly.

What kind of fish are those two red and that one yellow? Are those what your calling glofish?

Your SW tank is very nice! Though, I think it takes away (aesthetically) from the PT when you put them next to each other, due to its vibrant colors.

LIGHTS: 70w seems like a lot of light for a 10g growing moss and anubius...

p.s. hope you don't mind the critic, love your tanks!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
I must say as well That I love the look of this moss tank. It's so unique and reminds me of a moss iwagumi. Very cool indeed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Glofish are danios that have been dyed to be freaks of nature.

I want to say, I *really* like the look of your moss tank. It just looks so wild, yet calm and peaceful! I think you should just try spot treating the algae, and put less wattage light over that tank, and keep it the way it is. For real.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 01:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
Glofish are danios that have been dyed to be freaks of nature.
I believe nowadays they insert jellyfish genes into the eggs to make the fish fluoresce different colors, it doesn't harm them like dye did. But does that still make it right?

Cool tank, looks like small grass from far away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Actually there is a reason the GloFish are in that tank. Many generations ago, the protein that causes fluorescing colors in some corals was spliced into the Danios. All the subsequent generations express this gene and "glow". The original gene comes from corals, and being next to the reef tank I figured it appropriate. Unfortunately they just don't look natural in a natural setting, so I think Cardinal Tetras are gonna be the way to go.

Originally I wanted the walls to be covered in a solid green sheet of algae, but of course it never grew solid and nice looking. The moss is too far gone now, so it's time to start over. The moss carpet is extremely easy to do, so if nothing else I'll just do that again under low light. Ideally I'd like a very short turf to cover the bottom, I'm just not sure what to use yet.

I'm also not sure about using Anubias barteri nana as the balancing plant since it is so slow growing. I'm thinking another variety of Anubias is what I need since I like the overall look of them as a solo plant.

BTW, critics are VERY welcome! I need all the help and suggestions I can get.

Here it is today:

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 06:18 PM

Oh you reset it already. I love your old tank too but hopefully you have a much better setup in mind.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well got 10 pots of HC today from a local place (Thank you Sweet Aquatics!!). I cut the rockwool about 1/4 inch below the plants where the roots stop and buried most of them that way. A couple I spit up to fit into tougher areas.

I have a dozen CRS coming next week, and a few will go in this tank.

Here it is today:

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 12:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I really like the new look. Both old and new are great. I'm thinking that if you split those groups up so it covers the aquarium, it would fill in to be a nice thick coat. I'm guessing this is going to be like an iwagumi? Are you going to put any moss in?

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 03:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

love the new look. the bright fore ground matches the glow fish

My New Re-scaped 56 Gallon Journal~

My old 56G

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 03:40 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
that is a lot of light!

-Chris

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 05:38 AM
wug
Algae Grower

Looks really nice. I agree it sounds like a lot of light. You adding any co2 or cleaning critters?
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No plans for CO2 yet, depends on how the HC does I guess. 70w MH aren't super bright, so I'm interested to see how things do. So far the algae is growing slower than it was under the 40w PC light.

I've got some crystal reds coming next week, and a couple of them along with the Cory cat that's in there will probably be all I do for a clean up crew for now.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 11:18 PM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
With all of that light, you will most certainly need CO2 supplementation.

No Pimp Club.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would dose excel asap with all that light. If that is a 10G then that is 7W per gallon. Thats crazy lot =]

My New Re-scaped 56 Gallon Journal~

My old 56G

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode