55 gallon Medium Tech :) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
55 gallon Medium Tech :)

Hi!

I have had my 55 gallon tank for about 9 months now. It used to house 2 oscars which were ~9 inches each. Very fun fish, almost like pets - I was able to train them to eat out of my hand which always got oohs and aahs when I have people over. I always liked the look of a planted aquarium whenever I saw one in a petstore so I decided to give it a try. However, with the oscars it was pretty tough as they tend to dig up anything you plant. This I realized after about 50 dollars wasted on various plants. No way to really stop them, a 9 inch fish does what it wants they dont make fish handcuffs (do they? Gotta check ebay...)

Anyway, I managed to find a new lucky owner for the oscars on craigslist and set off to do some research on how to start a planted tank. Wound up here - great site, really learned a lot during the past week just researching.

OK onto my current setup -
  • 55 gallon all glass aquarium from walmart with a wooden cabinet. Pretty good deal for ~$200. I probably could have gotten one from craigslist but I'd rather have one new. I live on the 5th floor in an apartment, I'd rather have the safety of mind knowing it's a new tank. Note to self - look into renter's insurance!
  • 200 watt heater
  • Aqua tech 30-60 filter (carbon/bio). This came with the walmart kit so probably the next thing I am going to replace. I looked up this filter on google it is supposed to push out 300 gph so not too bad for a tank my size.
  • 2x 15 watt bulbs. Yeah I know way too little. That's why I just ordered a 2x 6700k 2x 10000k from catalina (the one for 140 dollars). Cannot wait until it gets here end of this week.
  • Substrate - bottom layer of peat moss (just a light sprinkle, presoaked). 2" of Turface and then another 1" of Fluoride.
Today was a busy day. I managed to find Turface MVP, got it for 14 dollars at a nursery in Long Island. This after almost buying Eco-Complete (80 lbs) for 130 dollars total. Personal victory for me here as I tend to overspend a lot. Gotta stop doing that, especially with the markets bottoming out. I also picked up the fluoride at the LFS and some peat moss at home depot. Kind of peeved - they wouldnt let me just take a handful of the stuff, I had to purchase the entire 50lb bag of peat moss for 7 dollars. Useless to me as I live in an apartment. Maybe I will use it for some potted plants, and give the rest to my parents they just bought a house in long island they will need it more than me.

Next 3 hours was spent washing out the damn fluoride. Not an easy task without a hose. Tedious task but got through it somehow, Notre Dame game was on to distract from the boredom. Oh forgot to mention - while this is goin on I am boiling wood. House smells like an armpit. I am planning to put a rather large piece of driftwood I picked up from a lady on craigslist in my tank. Actually in its current form it might be too big for the tank - let me know what you guys think from the pics. I might take off ~6 inches off either side. Just have to make it natural. I really like this particular piece though, it has lots of nooks and crannies which I imagine some fish will make their home in a few weeks.

OK so the tank is running in its current state. Water's pretty cloudy as you may notice from one of the side shots. I have NOT cleaned the filter! So how long do you guys think it will take for this to cycle? Does anyone have some links to good articles on proper cycling? I want to do this right, no room for error. And there's a lot of material out there on the topic, I was hoping someone could point me past the junk.

Here's some pics (check out the Hyuuge driftwood)

Side shot - cloudy water

Lights - this is only 30watt. Can't imagine how bright this will be with the 240watt fixture that is heading my way!

Turface mixed with Fluoride. I kept the Fluoride on the top - color matches pretty well. 2.5" up front, 3.5" toward the back.

Dirty filter. Will this be enough for the tank to cycle? Or should I get some ammonia?

Driftwood! Too big for my tank? Not sure yet...

More driftwood - pretty interesting one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 02:56 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Im really diggin' that 2nd piece of driftwood

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 03:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
Also love the 2nd piece. 1st piece is pretty big. You're gonna have a lot of fun.

Just keeping on keeping on....

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like the characteristics of that 2nd piece of driftwood. I think you can make something really neat by attaching some mosses, anubias, and or java ferns to that larger piece!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwatkins10 View Post
Im really diggin' that 2nd piece of driftwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Gal View Post
Also love the 2nd piece. 1st piece is pretty big. You're gonna have a lot of fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills Tj View Post
I like the characteristics of that 2nd piece of driftwood. I think you can make something really neat by attaching some mosses, anubias, and or java ferns to that larger piece!
Thanks for your comments guys!

So far 3 votes for #2 huh? I'll probably hack down that 1st piece a bit while at my parents house tomorrow, see again then.

Meanwhile, I read up on cycling here
http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/prof...sscycling.html

As per the recommendation, I reintroduced some old gravel (keeping it in a bowl separate from the current substrate, old decorations, old plants. Also dropped water level to increase aeration.

Took some readings-
ph 6.6
ammonia 0
nitrate 2.5 ? retested 2x how is this possible??
gh 35.8

note to self need to get a nitrIte test kit
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
The aquarium pharmaceuticals(API) freshwater master test kit is the kit I would suggest. It can be had at a fair price as well.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Nice it will look good with the Crypts I'm sending you
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 02:37 AM
Algae Grower

240 watts is going to be a lot of light for your tank. Do you plan on running any CO2 or ferts? You'll be pushing ~4.4 WPG.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode