Firstly, I need a title for this tank. Any suggestions are appreciated.
This tank was started about 2 weeks ago, with the intent to submit it into the 2009 AGA aquascaping contest.
Here are the tank details:
Tank: Standard 10 gallon
Lights: 55watt 6400K Pc bulb x1, 4 hours/day
Substrate: Locally collected gravel/sand.
Fertilisation: None at the time being, see below.
Flora: Fissidens fontanus (locally collected), Fontinalis antipyretica (also collected locally), Ludwigia palustris, Echinodorus tenellus, Cryptocoryne lutea, Cryptocoryne wendtii, and Anubias nana. (flame moss is in here temp)
Fauna: None (for now)
Maintenance: weekly 50% changes, daily algae, plant and other misc maintenance.
Other Equipment: DIY co2.
For substrate I decided to save some money and collect it locally out of a dried up creekbed. I washed it heavily, as well as sifted out some of the larger rocks. So far, it appears to be full of nutrients and is giving my root feeders tons to grow from.
My photoperiod is short mainly to avoid algae outbreaks. I find with anything longer I get a long thin and somewhat slimy algae. It appeared with a 6 hour photoperiod, and has disappeared since the photoperiods has been decreased. Even with this short period, i am still getting significant growth. The lighting time will be increased as the plants fill in more.
Fertilization hasn't begun yet, as the tank is still less than 1 month old. As successful as the EI dosing sounds, I don't wish to do that. But instead have been considering using the Green Brighty step 1-3 Ferts from ADA as a basis and supplementing with their other ferts where needed. Nothing is set in stone, and Im always open to suggestions.
Co2 is handle by a DIY mixture. And is diffused into the tank via an home made reactor. My plans are to upgrade to Pressurized when the budget permits. All i need is a tank, everything else i already have. I tested today after a 50% water change and a 7 hour photoperiod (had the lights on for a longer period for a time lapse), the outcoming parameters were Ph 7.0, and Kh 6, making my co2 around 20. I'll test in the morning and again after my regular photoperiod to get actual levels.
Now for the pics. Ignore the first one, didn't realize it wasn't very good (but hey, i got the ADA ripples, cha-ching).
As you can see, the E. tenellus is growing too tall for this aquascape and needs to be replaced with something smaller. I wanted to avoid HC and Glosso, so i settled on trying Elatine triandra. I'll let you know how that turns out.
On the drifwood, there will be Peacock moss, and fissidens moss. The Fissidens can be seen already, the peacock will be attached on the bare area of the wood. The willow, and flame moss will be removed.
Suggestions are always welcome.