Renegade's 10 gallon "Desktop Forest" Journal *Updated 01/13 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Renegade's 10 gallon "Desktop Forest" Journal *Updated 01/13

Firstly, I need a title for this tank. Any suggestions are appreciated.

This tank was started about 2 weeks ago, with the intent to submit it into the 2009 AGA aquascaping contest.

Here are the tank details:

Tank: Standard 10 gallon
Lights: 55watt 6400K Pc bulb x1, 4 hours/day
Filter: None
Substrate: Locally collected gravel/sand.
Fertilisation: None at the time being, see below.
Flora: Fissidens fontanus (locally collected), Fontinalis antipyretica (also collected locally), Ludwigia palustris, Echinodorus tenellus, Cryptocoryne lutea, Cryptocoryne wendtii, and Anubias nana. (flame moss is in here temp)
Fauna: None (for now)
Maintenance: weekly 50% changes, daily algae, plant and other misc maintenance.
Other Equipment: DIY co2.

For substrate I decided to save some money and collect it locally out of a dried up creekbed. I washed it heavily, as well as sifted out some of the larger rocks. So far, it appears to be full of nutrients and is giving my root feeders tons to grow from.

My photoperiod is short mainly to avoid algae outbreaks. I find with anything longer I get a long thin and somewhat slimy algae. It appeared with a 6 hour photoperiod, and has disappeared since the photoperiods has been decreased. Even with this short period, i am still getting significant growth. The lighting time will be increased as the plants fill in more.

Fertilization hasn't begun yet, as the tank is still less than 1 month old. As successful as the EI dosing sounds, I don't wish to do that. But instead have been considering using the Green Brighty step 1-3 Ferts from ADA as a basis and supplementing with their other ferts where needed. Nothing is set in stone, and Im always open to suggestions.

Co2 is handle by a DIY mixture. And is diffused into the tank via an home made reactor. My plans are to upgrade to Pressurized when the budget permits. All i need is a tank, everything else i already have. I tested today after a 50% water change and a 7 hour photoperiod (had the lights on for a longer period for a time lapse), the outcoming parameters were Ph 7.0, and Kh 6, making my co2 around 20. I'll test in the morning and again after my regular photoperiod to get actual levels.

Now for the pics. Ignore the first one, didn't realize it wasn't very good (but hey, i got the ADA ripples, cha-ching).

As you can see, the E. tenellus is growing too tall for this aquascape and needs to be replaced with something smaller. I wanted to avoid HC and Glosso, so i settled on trying Elatine triandra. I'll let you know how that turns out.

On the drifwood, there will be Peacock moss, and fissidens moss. The Fissidens can be seen already, the peacock will be attached on the bare area of the wood. The willow, and flame moss will be removed.

Suggestions are always welcome.

Last edited by Renegade545; 01-13-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Update: Added E. triandra, B. heudelotii, and a small group of Badis badis. The E. tenellus has been completely removed.

Some small growth on the E. triandra has been seen already, but i will need to start dosing nitrogen as my levels are only ~5. And everything i read says this plant loves/needs lots of nitrogen.

Co2 levels average around 33-35 ppm. My levels dropped for a day or two, during which time staghorn algae began to appear on the upper C. wendtii leaves. The levels are back up and the algae is dieing (phewww, close call).

Badis badis

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 04:34 AM
Planted Member

Nice desk, you have A planted tank, and THE planted tank.

Great looking Badis, I've been dying to get some.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Quick Update:

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 06:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
I like the tank and love the idea. I am new to this but one of my main goals is to find as much as i can on my own. I love the simplicity of the setup. Good work here. Very inspirational to me, even though it's not what i would want to deal with, very cool in terms of the set up, collecting and overall look.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Talontsiawd.

Started dosing today. I have decided to use the Seachem line rather than the ADA, as the seachem line is more readily available to me.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 04:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
I like it on your desk, but I don't think I'd get much work done!

What is the plant in your foreground? If you want another grassy type plant have you considered E Tenellus sp pink? It stays short. Check it out in my 125g. Middle foreground.

Just keeping on keeping on....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Gal View Post
I like it on your desk, but I don't think I'd get much work done!

What is the plant in your foreground? If you want another grassy type plant have you considered E Tenellus sp pink? It stays short. Check it out in my 125g. Middle foreground.
Honestly, i don't get much done.

The plant is Elatine triandra. E. tennellus sp. "pink" is a great plant, i wanted something a little more different. Elatine triandra is, IMO, much better than any other foreground plant that i have kept so far.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Update:

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Awesome tank and awesome macro shots!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.

Here is a little update i what has changed:

Fertilisation: Dosing Nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, and Iron bi-weekly. Along with Excel for algae control.

Flora: Fissidens fontanus, Vesicularia dubyana 'Christmas', Myriophyllum aquaticum, Ludwigia palustris, Elatine triandra, Cryptocoryne lutea, Cryptocoryne wendtii, and Anubias nana.
Fauna: 6-8 Badis badis, Neocaridina heteropoda (var. Red).
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

A little update, the tank is progressing really nicely, starting to get to the point where im happy with it. Notice the hair algae in the moss from my 3 week vacation. It is still pretty bad, but that is after cleaning it out at least 2 seperate times. With equipment, too lazy to take it out.

Oops need to top-up.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 01:50 AM
Algae Grower

Awesome tank, and great camera work! May I ask what camera/lense setup you use? I followed the link in your signiture and looked at the photos. Those macro shots are really nice.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Its a Sony A100. For the photos of my tank, just a standard 18-70mm lense. The Macros were taken with an extenion tube and lense attached tot he 18-70mm. I do need to throw some more photos up there, and update that site a little.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
What a beauty your tank has evolved into. I love the Myriophyllum aquaticum you added. Looks great!

Just keeping on keeping on....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode