Beginner's 26 Bow - Updated 12/1 (plants growing out of the water!!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Beginner's 26 Bow - Updated 12/1 (plants growing out of the water!!)

First off I need to thank everyone on this forum for helping me out with my new hobby! I've had my tank running for about 2 weeks now and I've decided that its time to post some pics and get some suggestions. This is my first planted tank and my first aquarium for that matter. Here are some stats:

Tank: 26g bow with glass top

Filter: Eheim 2215

Substrate: 2 bags eco-complete

CO2: None

Lighting: Low (2x24w Nova fixture. 10k and 6k bulbs)

Plants:
Java Fern
Anubias nana
Java Lace Fern
Cryptocoryne spiralis

Cryptocoryne wendtii small
Hornwort
Wisteria
Dwarf Sag
Java moss

Additives: Excel (2.5 mL each day) and a few flourish root tabs added yesterday.

Inabitants: A bunch of snails that came with my plants I guess (I thought I washed them off good). I should probably get that under control.

I'm hoping the back will grow in a lot!...More pictures to come

Plans: I plan on adding some more plants. I was thinking a couple swords, a water onion, and a carpet plant in front of the dwarf sag (micro sword? clover? moss carpet? need suggestions). I don't plan on using CO2 anytime soon because I'm a broke college student and excel really isnt that expensive with the small doses I am doing (2.5 ml following directions on the bottle). After 2 weeks I can barely tell that I've used any excel at all by looking at the bottle. Growth has been minimal so far but the flourish root tabs that I added yesterday should fix that. Surprisingly, the dwarf sag has had 2 runners pop up already even though the leaves don't look particularly healthy. The java ferns and lace ferns haven't grown at all. In fact, the tips of the lace ferns are "crispy" looking with bits of black at the tips. The cryps too have not grown and some leaves are yellowish and brown. Should I be dosing nutrients into the water column (if so, how much with a low-light/no CO2 setup). Overall, I am satisfied with this tank but it has a long way to go. I will be adding fish next week. Let me know what you think, your advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Cheez; 12-02-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Swords are really heavy feeders and I had to really dose my 29g a lot to keep up with them. Once I moved most of them out, the rest of my plants really took off.

You'll forget the java ferns are there, they grow so slowly. Mine has put off 2 new tiny leaves in the past 3 months so don't worry.

The crypts will die off when you move them but should bounce back pretty quickly.

Just stay patient
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
A lot of plants tend to have a "Die-In" period when you first move them into a tank. After a few leaves die off they will bounce right back (usually). Until then stay patient. You can also get flourish for the water column. For a 10G i only have to dose maybe a few drops a week so it lasts a long Long LONG time!

My New Re-scaped 56 Gallon Journal~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My old 56G

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
How about adding potassium nitrate? Main nutrients plants need are P,K, N.
P is phosphates which are supplied by fish food or in water. K is potassium and N is nitrates.
www.aquariumfertilizers.com
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Ok its been a while and my tank has gone through many changes. I've added diy CO2 with a hagen mini as a diffusor. I've also been dosing NPK, iron, flourish, and excel. Things have really taken off! I came back from a Thanks Giving vacation and the ludwigia was growing out of the water! The wisteria has really formed a nice bush as well.

Equipment added:
Diy CO2
2x14w T5 strip in addition to the 2x24w for more light

Plants
Crypt spiralis
Dwarf sag
Narrow leaf chain sword
Water wisteria
Crypt wendtii
Ludwigia repens
Sunset Hygro

Fish

6 zebra danio (long fin)
3 albino corys
2 bolivian rams
3 breeding pairs of endlers

I'm expecting an order this week for gertrudae rainbows and CPDs!
I plan on giving away one of the rams (they are both male and fight alot).

The scape is pretty different from most tanks out there but I like it. I think the wood with the anubias has alot of character and I like how it kind of cuts off some of the viewing area and separates the grass from the open space.

I could only take one picture today with the camera on my phone but it ended up turning out better than the pictures I've been taking with my digital camera. Go figure. There will be more pictures soon.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode