midnights 20gallon world *update!* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
midnights 20gallon world *update!*

hey peeps! i wanted to share my first tank since i got back into the aqua scene this year. last tank i had was a 50 gallon when i was near age 12 . i had an aro with lots of goldfish lol.

now im 21 and found that i had some time and money to fuel my addiction yet again! digging out my nano and a 10 outta the garage if i can find it hehe.

without further ado fully stocked and running october 1.
20R
cl 120w only using one dual strip @60w
ac50
diy co2
4inch air block.
some dw
substrate is a bit o gravel and large black flourite. used what i had =P
about 8 types green atm. and some java moss.

residents are 2 angels,2 congo tetras,3 pleco types,a renegade otto,4 clown loaches, and the lone king of the bottom my baby 4inch clownknife.
right now i figured they can learn to be friends as most of them will out grow the tank this year .giving me time to set up the big projects soon to come =)

enjoy and hope to be postin up on tpt tons =P any comments welcome lol i feel like such a newb again yay.

Last edited by midnightk; 10-15-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 04:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good looking tank! simple and effective. And yea, those fish are going to grow pretty big, the loaches will need at least a 75-100G tank... but not for a little while. Keep up the good looking tank!

My New Re-scaped 56 Gallon Journal~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My old 56G

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

thanks! yea i am planning on a 150 if they get along. idk really wanna build a monster tank too lol!

some of the residents =)

what are the black spots on my java fern ?? algae??

also my crayfish hackd the anubias not on the dw. will the petals grow back ? or does that encourage it to sprout little ones??

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
nice job! the tank looks great! i like the mix of background plants with the chilensis (?) on the right and middle and the anacharis on the left, with a little cabomba or something in front, it looks good. nice java ferns, too! the spots on them are normal, most java ferns come with black spots on them, but theyll go away eventually.

while im sure your fish like it, your plants will do a lot better without the airstone. it brings lots of oxygen into the tank and takes out a lot of CO2, but if you have more CO2, the plants will produce more oxygen, so either way, youre good, i guess. the 'white ribbon' plant in the front isn't a true aquatic plant and will rot if you leave it under water for too long, and anubias won't do that well planted, the rhizome has to be above the gravel or on driftwood.i can't tell if it is in the pictures, but make sure the rhizome is above the gravel.

Wilson

- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

hey demos thanks!yea i added the airstone thinkin the co2 was too strong =P .and thanks for the tip on anubias i didnt know that they needed their rhizomes exposed,
lol the white ribbon was a recent addition when i found this one lfs. carrying all types of amazony plants. i went crazy lol. they are more pond friendly i guess?

what types of carpet plants could i incorporate into my substrate? whats the one plant that looks like dwarf hairgrass but sprouts more ... outward??
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

hey ev3ryone! thought id update my 20 galllon. did a bit of rescape and swapd some plants out since they got so big =)
new additions are hygro,corkscrew vals, i wanna say baby val lol but i know there not .,and trying some glosso!

do i need to thin the glosso out? howmuch??
and will the lil val plants act carpet like???? look like big stargrass.... i hate forgettin names lol.

also i have the option to upgrade lighting. how much watts and photoperiod works well with 25ppm co2? basically the lights i found are 65w,130w,and a 96w all 10 or 6.7k/
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
remember to keep us informed with that monster tank.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

BIG RESCAPE. i finally got ahold of some good ADA subs and decided to rush the battle with the GRAVEL. i first siphoned 10gallons as i had no other cycled w. into a spare qt tank and set the ac filter and fish inside then removed plants! should of took a pic of the tub lol.
siphoned the rest of the water into yet another spare 10g though it was a critter keeper =P set a powerhead inside to clean the ''stuff'' that had been at the bottom of tank and in gravel.
i then went on a TRIP trying different scapes and setting of rocks and dw . ended up liking the way it is now so WALA lol =)

bottom is amazonia topd with the same but powder. and a beach/river of bright sand!
still havent fully finished planting . tell me what looks good(maybe more?) and some possible new additions guys! thanks for looking and reading if ya did hehe
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Big improvement! Good job!

~Amanda~

54g Corner Bowfront Planted, 2x24w T5HO
220g Mixed Reef
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Wow, I really like your new scape. It's very beautiful! No offense, but in the first pics it almost looks like the plants are plastic, and sort of "dumped in there", but you COMPLETELY took care of that! It's very lovely, and you should be proud.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm confused..what kind of sand is that? I like it!

~Amanda~

220g Mixed Reef
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Very nice rescape, indeed! Looks like you skipped ahead a year, not a week!

Amanda, looks like ADA Bright Sand to me. I'm guessing an 8kg bag of Amazonia and a 2KG bag of Bright Sand, eh midnightk?

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Okay, so "bright sand" is the name of the product and not just a description of the sand. LOL Thanks!

~Amanda~

220g Mixed Reef
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 04:32 PM

like ur scape but one little problem. on ur latest scape u have 2 malawi cichlids in there. i think u might lose some fish due to agression from them.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

yea there baby peacocks from malawi. there being very friendly toward the diamond tetras and even the prego malabar danio. prolly cuz there size tho hehe the angel bosses them around still. im sure i will move them once they can hold their own agains my other predators.

thanks everyone for the compliments i still feel like a big newb and mosdef owe a bit to the forums thanks all! i do wannt something else in the backround intsead of val species what types of plants grow really tall ?? am i limited to rotala species???

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode