20L Restoration: Step 2, The Waiting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
20L Restoration: Step 2, The Waiting

so recently i have had a few dead fish. ok a lot of dead fish. im left with 2 black neon tetras, 2 CPDs, 1 SAE, and a bunch of guppies.
i had a vet do 2 cultures and 1 biopsy. the culture showed harmful bacteria (though not TB, which i was considering). the biopsy confirmed the harmful bacteria, and showed that i also have an infection of parasitic nematodes in my tank.
for the bacteria i got an antibiotic (looks like some nice heavy stuff). it needs to be dosed daily for 7 days, with a 50% water change right before each dose.
for the parasites i got another medication. the vet explained its as a broad spectrum medicine against the phylum nematoda. it needs to be dosed once a week for 3 weeks. but before i start to dose that, i need to dose the antibiotics and wait one week inbetween.

anyway, since i wasnt sure if i would have to tear down my tank, i didnt trim it, dose it, or change the water in a LONG time. the fact that i didnt change the water didnt matter to my fish, the plants soaked up the nitrates until they were 0ppm. and they kept growing fast and no algae either (actually, my slight algal matter decreased to nothing in that time).
the tank looked like this:

then i trimmed the stems, removed the rotting bits of riccia, trimmed the HM (took FOREVER), and cleaned the prefilter and removed the purigen out of my filter. i still need to do a water change (well, i probably dont, but i will do one since i cant hurt). the results:

the medicine:

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

Last edited by @[email protected]; 10-08-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to will5
Hello

Man that sucks I am sorry. Keep us posted on how it works out.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

yeah, now i see why people have quarantine tanks (i have no room though). though i have no clue which fish brought it in.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

the antibiotic treatement is done. the fish all look healthy. also, now that the tank is trimmed and orderly, i can see that i actually have 3 CPDs, not 2.

unfortunately, my crypts are melting. it may be the light, since they were covered by stems for a month, and now suddenly they are in full light; but i suspect the antibiotic. anyway the other plant are doing good. the riccia is growing, and the microsword is booming. i have one runner, that has grown 2 new plantlets in a week!

ill post the pics in a bit.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode