10 Gallon, First post. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 Gallon, First post.

Hello everyone, it's my first post here.

Here is one of my current tanks, I'd be interested to know what you all think of it.

At the moment I'm trying to save up a bit to invest in some really nice equipment and an Amano style aquarium, however, on a university budget this is proving to be quite difficult.

If you look closely the tank is full of RCS, a few Amanos, and some interesting Ghosts that I found a while back while exploring.
I actually managed to feed and incubate some Ghost larva a while back, and so they multiplied while in my care.

Anyway, hope you enjoy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Welcome to TPT! Looks like a good start.

I'm not a fan of the flower pot look... have you considered camoflaging the pot with siliconed gravel, moss, or lots of plants? Perhaps shift it toward the rear corner, and bury it a bit more?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoorbza View Post
Welcome to TPT! Looks like a good start.

I'm not a fan of the flower pot look... have you considered camoflaging the pot with siliconed gravel, moss, or lots of plants? Perhaps shift it toward the rear corner, and bury it a bit more?

I've considered taking it completely out, because I don't care much for how it looks either, however, if you look closely you may notice a few bristles sticking out of it.

Initially I put it in as a dark refuge for the shrimp, the shrimp never took much of a liking to it, but the Bristlenose certainly did, and he spends the great majority of his time sitting in it and looking around.
The only real reason I have not to remove it is that it's his home and favorite spot.

As for shifting or disguising, the plant growth in the rear corner is very thick and healthy, so if I moved his pot back there I would have to disturb the roots of the plants, as well as move some whole plants elsewhere in the tank, so if anything I'd just take the whole thing out and let the plants take over the spot.

For the moss solution, that could be pretty interesting, how would that work exactly?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Welcome! The planted tank addiction will only get worse from here

I'd probably lose the flower pot too, and think of a way to hide the heater as well. If you're using a canister type filter, you could DIY an inline heater so that it would be out of the tank completely.

Finally, you can get ADA style without spending ADA money. If you're a little handy, you can easily set up your 10 gallon tank to look like something Mr. Amano would be proud of.

This is my 10 gallon tank, and with a little more careful pruning and overall attention, would be similar to "nature style" aquariums, and I only had about 100 bucks put into the entire tank setup at the point that picture was taken. It's nothing special, but I enjoy having it to look at in my house.

Best of luck to you, and keep growing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Welcome to The Planted Tank!

great start to the tank! If you want to keep your bristlenose's home in there, i think burying the pot a little deeper and covering it with moss could be a good way to camoflage it some. If you use the "search" function you'll find some good "how to's" for adding moss. But basically, use some cotton thread to tie a thin layer of moss to the pot and let it do it's thing! Eventually the cotton thread disintegrates and by then the moss has rooted to the pot. And maybe adding a couple rocks on the right and left side of the pot would help camouflage it too. Or, i'm sure Mr. BN will find a new favrite spot if you decide to just ditch the pot

Any other fish in the tank? or plans for some?

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Wow, you guys are friendly, first post and already 3 responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebeatbadgers View Post
Welcome! The planted tank addiction will only get worse from here

I'd probably lose the flower pot too, and think of a way to hide the heater as well. If you're using a canister type filter, you could DIY an inline heater so that it would be out of the tank completely.

Finally, you can get ADA style without spending ADA money. If you're a little handy, you can easily set up your 10 gallon tank to look like something Mr. Amano would be proud of.

This is my 10 gallon tank, and with a little more careful pruning and overall attention, would be similar to "nature style" aquariums, and I only had about 100 bucks put into the entire tank setup at the point that picture was taken. It's nothing special, but I enjoy having it to look at in my house.

Best of luck to you, and keep growing!

I was thinking of getting one of those Rena filters that pop into position over the filter inflow, right now I'm using a Rena Smart Filter, which does it's job pretty well.

The problem though is that the heaters are substantially more bulky, not that the one I already have isn't the bulkiest possible thing, but, I have a filter media bad wrapped around the intake to keep any newly hatched shrimp from being sucked in, so I would be worried that with the heater it may not fit correctly or could cause complications and melt something.

Also, your tank for 100$ is pretty impressive, mine cost around 150$, not counting the shrimp, fish, or plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karackle View Post
Welcome to The Planted Tank!

great start to the tank! If you want to keep your bristlenose's home in there, i think burying the pot a little deeper and covering it with moss could be a good way to camoflage it some. If you use the "search" function you'll find some good "how to's" for adding moss. But basically, use some cotton thread to tie a thin layer of moss to the pot and let it do it's thing! Eventually the cotton thread disintegrates and by then the moss has rooted to the pot. And maybe adding a couple rocks on the right and left side of the pot would help camouflage it too. Or, i'm sure Mr. BN will find a new favrite spot if you decide to just ditch the pot

Any other fish in the tank? or plans for some?

I'm interested in the moss method, and perhaps burying it a bit deeper and putting a few rocks around it, there are in fact a good variety of stones in the left part of the tank, but I've let the plants grow thick to give the shrimp a safe place to play around in.

With the moss though it could look very natural and interesting, if I buried it about halfway.

As for the other fish, there is a Rubber Nose as well, but no fish aside from those two.
There are around 130 RCS though, including some absolutely perfect specimens, and an uncountable number of Trumpet snails, as well as a few pond snails.
I worry about overpopulation in fact, but the shrimp seem to maintain their own numbers pretty well, which I'm not too sure if it's healthy or not, but anything that dies is pretty much immediately eaten, I've only seen 2 dead shrimp in fact, one I recognized as a founder shrimp, and it was gone within a few minutes.

Given the apparent health of everything in the tank I don't worry too much about any health issues.
Many of my RCS are berried and produce offspring, I've transplanted some very good specimens to a new tank lately to try and start a strong and brilliantly colored population that I may be able to make some extra money with locally by selling, though selling my shrimp is something I would have a hard time doing(Some 12 year old dumping windex or something in a tank comes to mind).

I'm definately going to have to look into the moss topic though.

Edit: Also, the founder shrimp mentioned above was around 1.5-2 years old, so it was old age and not something else I'm pretty certain.
If I recall correctly that is the natural lifespan for Cherries.

Last edited by Koshy; 09-29-2008 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Additional Info.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode