MedRed's Blasphemy: 30 Gal Planted Tanganyikan (R.I.P 01/2010) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
MedRed's Blasphemy: 30 Gal Planted Tanganyikan (R.I.P 01/2010)

Here is one of my favorite tanks. It's very low maintenance. I don't add any co2, ferts, or excel to this tank at all. I run 96 watts 50/50 actinic/10,000k.

Lake Tanganyika has some awesome fish that make for an interesting community in smaller tanks. There are lots of cool shell dwellers that don't need much space and live their entire lives in/around the shells. They live in the shells, raise babies in the shells, bury the shells, and move the shells. Their aggression level is about the same as an amazon dwarf cichlid... and in some cases less.

I have 5 eels(2 plagiostoma and 3 ellipsifers). They stay under 12" and are very intelligent.

I wasn't able to capture everything as my camera started to make things blurry. I will finish taking pictures soon.

I've obviously added some very out of place fish. Most of the inhabitants stay at the bottom and i really wanted something that would inhabit the top of the tank as well. I didn't want these guys to be flashy as they are nothing more than accessories.

Inhabitants
lamprologus speciosus
lamprologus similis
mastacembelus ellipsifer
mastacemelus plagiostoma
altolamprologus compressiceps "sumbu"
synodontis petricola
ancistrus species lemondrop
ancistrus albino blue eyed
emerald eye killies
girardinus metallicus

full tank shot... this is the best picture i could get of a plagiostoma. He's the eel on the right

Here's my favorite eel in the tank. He's an ellispifer with spots instead of bands.

Here's a banded ellipsifer in his favorite spot. He sits in there with his head hanging out watching the world go by. He's typically more out than in. He doesn't really hide in there.

Here's a similis peeking out from his shell

Here's another peeping tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have slain all of the Dragons! You owe me!

Last edited by MedRed; 03-21-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 09:58 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
Lamprologus all the way! Love Tang. tanks myself; your eel is awesome too. The tank's gorgeous I'd love to see more pics of it.

Is that a mix of sands or a specific type of substrate?
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks aquatic maniac! the sand is carib sea eco complete african cichlid sand. It's just like eco complete in that's it's no rinse, packed in water, and full of bacteria. It's also meant to buffer the water as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 05:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
I'm really digging this one. A planted tank with eels and shell dwellers, who would've thought?

The eels don't go after the smaller fish?

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Sean! The eels are totally docile. There was a HUGE size discrepancy when I first brought home the speciosus and my original ellipsifer. The eels are very active at night while the others sleep in their shells or on the sand. They've never even attempted to eat the smaller fish. They don't show any interest in eating anything in the tank unless it's a bloodworm or fry. This is one of those tanks that just work. There's no aggression at all.

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:34 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Gorgeous tank!
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks kygrl!

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 02:15 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I REALLY like this one.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 02:33 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
great tank medred

-Chris

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-02-2008, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Laura and Cl!

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

This tank is so maintenance free... all I've done is change water and feed... until tonight.

I took this pic tonight.

a complete jungle I know...

and here's the rescape... just finished it so it's still cloudy... I'll take some more pictures when it's clear.

Also... i have a really cool ancistrus species... it's albino but with blue eyes... I couldn't get a good pic. Apparently blue eyed ancistrus occur in nature.

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow, I really like this. Love the unique livestock.

Have to admit a bit of jealousy, my 30 cube doesn't hold a candle. How are you keeping the algae at bay with that amount of light?
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Send a message via MSN to fishbguy1
yay! Tangnykia!

I have a 20 long with some multis. Gotta love the multis!

When I decide to rescape my 29 (hopefully not for a year or so) I'm gonna convert it to a tangnykian. I might move my multis from the 20 long to this tank, but I think I'll keep them in the 20 long and get some occies or brevis.

Got any pics of the petricolas?

Have you thought of some tangnykian killi fish? there's an lfs near me (www.wetthumbaquatics.com) that has them. They are really cool looking and would be fine in your tank.

65 gallon low tech planted
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhatton View Post
Wow, I really like this. Love the unique livestock.

Have to admit a bit of jealousy, my 30 cube doesn't hold a candle. How are you keeping the algae at bay with that amount of light?
Thanks manhatton. I have nerite snails and ancistrus that take care of the algae. I've never had to scrape algae in this tank. The actinic is to bring out the colors of the fish and to cut the useable light. I'm also using frogbit and red root floater in the tank to cut the light as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbguy1 View Post
yay! Tangnykia!

I have a 20 long with some multis. Gotta love the multis!

When I decide to rescape my 29 (hopefully not for a year or so) I'm gonna convert it to a tangnykian. I might move my multis from the 20 long to this tank, but I think I'll keep them in the 20 long and get some occies or brevis.

Got any pics of the petricolas?

Have you thought of some tangnykian killi fish? there's an lfs near me (www.wetthumbaquatics.com) that has them. They are really cool looking and would be fine in your tank.
Thanks fishbguy1. I'll take some pics of the petricola today. They never stop moving so I'll do my best. The tank is fairly clear this morning. I thought tanganyikan killis would get too big for my tank. My LFS had them for a little while but they finally sold all of them. I would definitely replace the lamp eyes if the killis would work.

post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
Great tank! What did you do with the moss? I saw it in the first FTS but I didn't see it before or after your rescape. I like how you incorporate the plants into the scape without using ones the fish might uproot or rip up. Great job!

Ehfipimp #340!!!
(2215)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode