Opinions and Suggestions Welcome! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Opinions and Suggestions Welcome!

Hello all!

This is my first time post, and will be my first planted freshwater aquarium. I just finished placing substrate and general decorating.
Here it is:
It's 29 g. So basically I was planning on putting some java moss on that lace rock on the left, java fern on the driftwood, dwarf hairgrass in the area in front of the dw, maybe some dwarf baby tears around the piece of petrified wood on the right, and various tall plants in the back. maybe watersprite? any opinions, suggestions, ideas would be most appreciated. I'm not sure if this set-up is even reasonable; input please.

on another note:
Does anyone have a canister filter, and very active cats. I'm horrified that somehow they will either pull out the tubing or bite through it. I was thinking about an Eheim 2217, is the tubing pretty durable?

Thank you thank you thank you,
Lucy

[IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Edwin/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Eds/Eds%20517.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eds 517.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	9885  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
good start! if i were you, i'd think about moving that central driftwood to the left or right by a couple inches, as it looks to be right in the center right now. Also, you may want to turn it so that it's diagonal rather than parallel with the front of the tank. Overall, i'd try to move things out of the corners by a couple inches or so, just trying to make it look more natural and less ordered. If you look through some of the tank journals, you'll see that many people post 5+ different hardscape pics in order to get opinion on what looks the best. Finally, you may like it if you slope the substrate a little bit, I had 2 29g tanks with completely flat substrate that looked alright, but after adding hills and valleys, it adds a completely new dimension to the tank... Good luck on the tank!

-Alex
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Different Set-Up

Another set-up.

(ignore my reflection please)

I like this one pretty well. My boyfriend said it looked, "pretty cool," but he said that last time. so bias.

(view from top)

Thank you thank you thank you,
Lucy

Last edited by Dncinbarefoot; 09-23-2008 at 02:22 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
whats the thing on the right front .... looks like a rusted piece of metal?

125 gallon journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's a redwood root from a couple years ago; hopefully fish will swim through it. I imagine it should be harmless, might rot after a while. It was hard to find information about redwood in aquariums, so I'm going to chance it. I'll just be sure to keep an eye on the water values.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 01:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
looking better!

I am looking forward to seeing how this tank progresses!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 02:37 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Redwood cedar root? Probably not a good idea in a fishtank; redwood tends to release natural toxins (which is why it's great for use in outdoor furniture, resists bugs and mold/mildew).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's probably old growth redwood (from the coast) it's been dead for 2-3 years. I don't think it's the same species as cedar. Shouldn't it be pretty inert at this point? I was thinking there might be some tannins though.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 03:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
If you slope the gravel a bit you get a better sense of depth in the tank. Just a thought.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Welcome to Plantedtank!!

First off, I moved this thread over to the Journal section just to keep it tidy.

Now, hardscape is usually better with similar materials. All your rocks are different and the driftwood is all different. If you scan through some of the journals of some of the members tanks here you will notice that the hardscape is typically geared toward selecting one speific type of material (or two), but never with two of the same material constrasting each other. Using similar materials brings hamony and balance to the scape and will not overwhelm the plants.

Try playing around with it some more and you may see what I am gearing at.

Also keep in mind that you want to try and create a focal point. Right now, the "spike" of the driftwood is the outstanding point of interest. May not be what you want, so now is the tme to decide.

Just some thoughts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode