110 Gallon ((Anbuis Jungle)) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking 110 Gallon ((Anbuis Jungle))

Hi there guys. My name is Frank. I have being in the hobby since i was about ten years old. my latest tank is a 110gallon tank. I have had the tank for about 4 years now, and recently decided that it was time to throw everything out and do something new.

the philosophy of the new design is simplicity and to have very low maintenance with almost 0 trimming required. so the most suitable plant that came into my mind was Anbuis Nana! and to make thing a little challenging, i also decided to have a HC foreground.

I actually picked up the plants today and just finished planting them all in the tank. so the tank may look a little clumsy and cloudy atm.

the driftwood (actually they are roots!) were imported from asia.

I changed my four 150w Metal halides to T5HOs (its a fixture with four 80w bulbs and also with Moonlights built in!) I didn't think the Anbuis would thrive under my MH lights, thats why I switched to T5HO.

The tank has two eheim 2028 filters. One runs the inline heaters, and the other is connected to inline co2 reactor and a 36w UV light.

the inhabitants include 6 congos, 6 columbia tetra, 6 Barboides gracilis and One discus (the only survivor from my previous discus purchase). btw, i am planing to get some otos for the tank.. how many should i get?

alrite, enough talking. lets see some pictures!

Here are the drifwoods. I am still trying to sink them. but too bad, the anubis are already here. so gotta tie them now!

here are the one hundred pots of Anubis nana! lots of work coming up!

here are the HC. lets hope they will form a nice carpet!

here is another shot of the plants.

how will the anbuis get attached to the driftwood? fish line of course! really takes patience here.

well~ 4 hours and 100 anbuis plants later, the tank has really came alive. these shots were taken just after I threw the plants in. so the water is still kinda cloudy and fish stunned. I will try to post some updated pics after the plants really settles in.

right side

left side

center shot!
I am gonna replant the HC tommorow when i get more of it. enjoy

Last edited by combo30101; 09-19-2008 at 06:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
That is one heck of a Anubias jungle! Ultimately I think the tank looks awesome, although there is one thing I would suggest. I think there is way too many anubias in that tank, I would cut the quantity to about 1/3 and see how it looks. There won't be much room for the anubias to grow if you leave the way it is. For instance, a single rhizome of anubias will expand its rhizome to like a foot long with multiple sideshoots of new plants.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Separate out the HC and plant it over the entire area you want it to cover.

Agreed with Jdinh04 on the anubias. There's a little bit too many, especially on the bottom left and bottom right pieces of wood.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)
Wow. You wern't kidding when you said anubias jungle.

Very cool driftwood!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(torn down)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 10:08 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus44 View Post
Wow. You wern't kidding when you said anubias jungle.

Very cool driftwood!
My thoughts exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdinh04 View Post
That is one heck of a Anubias jungle! Ultimately I think the tank looks awesome, although there is one thing I would suggest. I think there is way too many anubias in that tank, I would cut the quantity to about 1/3 and see how it looks. There won't be much room for the anubias to grow if you leave the way it is. For instance, a single rhizome of anubias will expand its rhizome to like a foot long with multiple sideshoots of new plants.
I would also agree with Jdinh04. Cut back and let it grow to accomplish this look, it would ultimately look better and healthier IMO.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdinh04 View Post
Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
Separate out the HC and plant it over the entire area you want it to cover.
Ditto

210 g - Empty right now
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Nice! I really like your idea for this tank.

My suggestion would be to get some floating plants and/or stems, at least for the initial startup, to help give everything else time to get established. Then just pull them out later if you don't like the "look."

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

alrite, here are some pics after replanting the HC. the driftwoods are still not exactly where i want them tho. they are still kina flooding... so, gotta adjust after a few weeks.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 07:58 AM
Algae Grower

Your tank rocks!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
All of Canada is going to know you as "The Anubias Man" once those start growing and you start selling off your trimmings... LOL

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode