Totally awesome ADA 120P PreJournal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)
Totally awesome ADA 120P PreJournal

Well more like a prejournal. I'm still deciding on if I should get a 120P or a 90P. But regardless I am going to need the advice of the wise wise people of this forum.

I am saving my money right now and I estimate I would need about 1.5k for this project. But those that have before me, what do u think is a good number?

For almost 10 years I have kept fishes all steming from a science project I had when I started high school. But everytime I had a tank, I pretty much winged it. I want to do this good from the begining so I would apperciate any suggestions.

I plan to get a ehiem proffesional series but just not sure which one right now. I am also thinking of a cooler since this summer I had alot of shrimp deaths due to the heat.

The lily pipes are alittle confusing. I am thinking of getting the metal ones since I don't want them to break. Has anyone ever tried them?

For the moment I am planing to go all aquasoil no sand or anything. I'm gonna try duch for a little while but I am going to get the sticks and stones which is gonna cost me a pretty bone.

As for the lights, I can't decide. I want to go MH but does it really make a big difference? I'm thinking of going CF but I hear T5 is better for plant growth.

For a tank of this size, what size co2 would be good? I have a 5lb cylinder but I guess it won't last very long in this set up. What do u guys think?

Any input is greatly apperciated. Feel free to push me in the right direction.

I'm not a doctor in real life but I play one on this forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dr.tran; 09-20-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 05:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Go for the 120P. It will give you more options. Its more $$ for the tank, but the equipment is about the same price for lighting and 48" and 36" is about the same. Go with two MH pendants for the 48" you can't beat the clean uncluttered look and the shimmer of an 8000k MH is priceless. BTW I have a 120P with an ADA looking stand ADA lily Pipes which I have not installed, ADA Amazonia substrate and ADA ferts. I have not had any algae issues at all in my Iwagumi scape. I dose 3 pumps of step 1 and 6 pumps of brighty K daily. Its that easy. BTW the metal Lily pipes don't come in 17mm diameter. Only 13mm. so far my ADA 120P has cost about 2k, but I tore down all my tanks and consider this my final large tank. Now I just have the 120P 60P and 30C that is still wrapped up in plastic.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIMOBALL View Post
Go for the 120P. It will give you more options. Its more $$ for the tank, but the equipment is about the same price for lighting and 48" and 36" is about the same. Go with two MH pendants for the 48" you can't beat the clean uncluttered look and the shimmer of an 8000k MH is priceless. BTW I have a 120P with an ADA looking stand ADA lily Pipes which I have not installed, ADA Amazonia substrate and ADA ferts. I have not had any algae issues at all in my Iwagumi scape. I dose 3 pumps of step 1 and 6 pumps of brighty K daily. Its that easy. BTW the metal Lily pipes don't come in 17mm diameter. Only 13mm. so far my ADA 120P has cost about 2k, but I tore down all my tanks and consider this my final large tank. Now I just have the 120P 60P and 30C that is still wrapped up in plastic.

Thanks for the input and break out those babies. I was thinking of the same thing where I was gonna get the 120P and get a few of the mini's

About the lily pipes, they also have other sizes with them which I don't understand aside from the mm. What does that mean and which one did u get?

Does anyone know of a website to find the diameter of the hoses for the cansiter filters? I want to know so I can decide which filter and lily pipe to get.

Theres been alot of bad things said about amazonia II, any good things to say about it?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well I went to the bank to set up a new account for my direct deposits and then I realized I could get a credit card with a 7k limit and no intrest for 6 months which is perfect. I plan for 2k which I think I can make in 6 months. So this project has a green light.

So heres my list for now

ADA 120P

Aqua Soil- Amazonia 9L x4

RYUTH STONE

ADA stand I wish for a local to help me bulid a stand. I hope.

Eheim profession filter. But which one?

Lily pipes. But again which one. I am thinking of going metal.

Bactor 100. But can I just use biozyme?

Lights MH? T5O? I'm not sure. I love how simple MH is but T5 is better for plant growth? Is it really?

Any feedback is greatly appericated. Especially what filter and lily pipes to get.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Bacteria is everywhere around you, you can grow it simply by adding ammonia (not hard with your sub choice). No reason to pay money for it when no one but Dr. Tim has even figured out what really works in our tanks, IMHO.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm only paying for it just so I can cycle the tank asap. I want to be able to cycle this in less than a week if that's possible.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Just use an established filter, I'm sure you have one. I'll put my money on 6 days as long as the AS 2 doesn't fubar the process.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
I am an old school, set it up right and wait, kind of person. However, I have had good results twice with Bio-Spira when I wanted a tank cycled quicker. I know they aren't selling it as such anymore, but there is a new formula out. It is refridgerated, like Bio-Spira was. I am going to try it in my new tank. I have found the key with these products is getting them home to your fridge asap, and wrapped so they stay cold. I place it in one of those plastic bags that keeps food cold, then in a small cooler.
Some of your pics show a red X. What kind of fish & plants are you planning for this tank? MH lighting is great if you can do it. I believe not having it is the reason I can't get certain colors. Well made glass lily pipes are tougher than you think. What kind of metal do they use for metal pipes?
Good luck with your new tank.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It's called Dr. Tim's something or other, or they change the name again. Must be some legal buy-out mumbo-jumbo going on. He's the only one who's done worthwhile nitrosoma research as far as we're concerned.

I've tried BioSpira twice, didn't work either time but there are a lot of factors involved in success and failure. I know quite a few folks online that've had fast success with it.

The only time I ever went for that is when I had no seeded media and needed a quick fix, which was when I got back into the hobby a few years back and had no tanks around. Otherwise I always shoot for the quick, established filter cycle.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
I could take the old filter pads from my established filter, and swap them when the new one comes in, huh? That's probably a better idea.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I just make sure to buy the filter first (for a new setup) and run it on one of the other tanks for a month. Lot's of the bac will be attached to the filter walls, but swapping media works just as well sometimes. Heavy feeding, no cleaning etc for that month, then swap it onto the new tank, add some ammonia (via dirty tap water, lean amm and nI levels under 5ppm), and drop the fish in after nitrogens reach zero, usually within a week. Adding mulm from an old filter or tank under the new sub helps too.

Ok, all done thread jacking, Dr, T.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Man do u guys sleep?

I found this thing at petco that might actually have some merit. http://www.fish.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=710003+002

I was thinking about using that. I want a quick way out because I don't want to cross contaimante this tank. There will be no snails except nerites and absoultly no flatworms or planaria. In this master tannk, I want total control. I am tired of finding those tiny circle snails after thinking I finally got rid of all of them.

I don't know which filter to go for. I want to go eheim this time because I have a XP and they are louder than I thought. Also the push to prime, quick connects seem great. Any ideas on which one to get?

waterfaller1,
Well about the lily pipes, they have metal ones on the ADA site. I love the glass look but I hate to one day say a few curse words and probally punch a wall.

Its not even about the diameter right now, but rather I don't understand the v-1 or v-3 stuff.

I think I'm gonna add a inline difusor. It just looks great.

Still can decide which light to get. This looks great

ADA grand solar 250W

But at $1,099.00 I rather go for a look alike.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 05:06 PM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
Check this out -- less than half price...

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/prod...oducts_id=1182

No Pimp Club.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (45/98%)
Hey dr.tran i used that biozyme when i was starting my tanks a while back and not sure if its worth it.. With it you will still go through a cycle and a cloudy tank.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the link. All I need now are moon lights.

I don't care if I still cycle as long as its much shorter. Also with ADA aquasoil, its going to be cloudly for a while anyway.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode