29 gal - trimming tips and advice needed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
29 gal - trimming tips and advice needed

Hello, this is my 2nd planted tank. I started with a 20g hex, which ran well. It is my hospital tank now, and a 29g display has taken its place.

Current setup:
104 watts, spiral bulb compact fluorescent DIY fixture
HOB filter, dont remember the size but its huge
pressurized CO2 at about 2-3 bps
EI ferts

Fauna:
5 cories
2 gold dojo loaches
5 oto's
3 amano shrimp
breeding pair of GBR's

Flora:
madagascar lace (1 new bright green branch per week)
java fern (pearling for two weeks bust hasnt grown at all)
amazon swords (dying somehow??)
Unknown name (on the right side of the tank, growing and pearling like wild)

I am looking for any input or advice. I know i need a background. My biggest question is how to trim the unknown plant on the right hand side of the tank. If i cut the tops off and replant them I know they will grow, but will the bottom halves that remain adapt and produce the nice big pink leaves at the top again?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. - How do you like my DIY light fixture? Around 35$ total cost!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Room 001.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	9764  

Name:	Room 005.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	9765  

Name:	Room 004.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	9766  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Nice lighting.

Just clip the plant on the right and replant the tops. Or sell them, or...eat them?

Yes, the bottom halves will grow and given time, will produce pink leaves.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 11:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like that stuff. When mine gets to the top I leave it there as long as it is not shading the rest. Then you can either cut and replant or pull up and replant the tops or cut and sell. Or move some to anouther tank. It also makes a good floating plant for baby fish to hide in.

My planted tank. 55 gallon fluorite substrate over soil, 64 watts of light, excel twice a week. Weekly water changes. Angelfish pair, guppies, BN plecos and otos. Redone 11/13/2012
One non planted tanks. 75 gallon.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
looks like rotala rotundifolia. very nice plant, its easy, and common, but that doesnt take away from its beauty.

trim and replant. i would do it 1/3 of the way down from the surface. the bottom will grow new tops (if the conditions are good, many will grow 2 sideshoots, or occasionally a few will grow more).

i suggest you check your CO2 ppm. a common way is to compare the ph and kh (this is what a drop checker does, but you can do it yourself using a chart online, use google). bps means very little, its the content in the water that counts, and that is ppm. it should be 20-30 if you have fish. it can be over 30 if you dont (a lot of fish can handle more than 30ppm, but i dont like to test their limits).

java ferns grow slow. dont worry. even big java ferns in great setups still only give a few leaves a month (and bigger ferns grow faster).

id put in a foreground. if your substrate is good, most will work in that tank. glosso is easy and grows fast and looks great. dwarf hairgrass and chain sword grow a bit taller, but are also easy and nice. HM, HC, and such are also great.

for a background you have so many choices, i reccomend you just look a tanks and see what you like. i could list choice until tomorrow and still wouldnt be done.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 01:06 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Stick a root tab or two underneath the sword and it will probably grow better. If you haven't had it in there long, sometimes swords need a little time to adjust, and it's not uncommon for them to lose a few leaves in the process.

I personally really like WonderGro tabs from www.GreenLeafAquariums.com; my swords LOVE them.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode