Coming Nano Driftwood Scape (5gallon rimless) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Coming Nano Driftwood Scape (5gallon rimless)

Just finished the scape this past weekend. Haven't decide on plants or fauna yet, but definitely gonna have some HC on the ground since I got a bunch of them left.

Any plant idea would be welcome!

I was hoping I could add some stone and elevation, but ran short on substrate and didn't have any stone that fit the tank..

btw, this is my 3rd tank, my last 2 tank was kinda boring so I hope to use more interesting and variety of plants this time.
3gallon-> https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...k-journal.html
5gallon-> https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...fied-wood.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WoodSelection.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	9758  

Name:	Sept13.2008s.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	9759  

Name:	New02.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	9760  

Name:	new01.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	9762  

Last edited by Choco; 09-20-2008 at 04:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Very nice wood!

I understand your situation, but you're going to wish you had more sloping. It tends to settle and flatten out even more with water and re-planting. I know I wish I had more substrate. =/
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
Choco,

I really like your branches and especially how you arranged them. I think an HC carpet would look great. For us to give plant recommendations, can you tell us what kind of look you are going for? Do you want to keep the back of the tank exposed, as it is now?

Also, just from experience, Having branches in your tank is a PITA when you have to scrape the glass and are unable to do so because the branches are blocking the way. Hopefully you never get algae on the glass.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Choco,

I really like your branches and especially how you arranged them. I think an HC carpet would look great. For us to give plant recommendations, can you tell us what kind of look you are going for? Do you want to keep the back of the tank exposed, as it is now?

Also, just from experience, Having branches in your tank is a PITA when you have to scrape the glass and are unable to do so because the branches are blocking the way. Hopefully you never get algae on the glass.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
Thanx volatile!
I am thinking about having some bigger leaf plant at the back on the left covering most of the background while leaving the back at the right relatively open space.

The driftwood is already a PITA before cleaning!!! They are not held very tight in place, and they would move ever so slightly everytime I accidentally touches them. I am HOPING they would hold tighter on the substrate after a while or maybe after some root established on the tank.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
These nano tanks always make me want to build up a nano for myself....lookin good!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choco View Post
Thanx volatile!
I am thinking about having some bigger leaf plant at the back on the left covering most of the background while leaving the back at the right relatively open space.

The driftwood is already a PITA before cleaning!!! They are not held very tight in place, and they would move ever so slightly everytime I accidentally touches them. I am HOPING they would hold tighter on the substrate after a while or maybe after some root established on the tank.
Yes I feel your pain. With the driftwood in my tank, even with the slightest movement, it would get displaced or uprooted every time I cleaned the tank or tried to plant something . I know some people glue their driftwood down so that it doesn't move, but I had already filled my tank with substrate and water, so that wasn't a possibility.

Will you be using CO2? DIY or pressurized?

For fish, you could go with a single dwarf puffer. They are pretty interesting to watch but require the feeding of live foods and you most likely won't be able to keep any shrimp with them. Or if you prefer a school of fish you could get 8-12 microrasboras like merah, urophthalmoides, or brigittae.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode