10gal low tech Shrimpy Jungle Journal - New Year, New Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
10gal low tech Shrimpy Jungle Journal - New Year, New Tank

It will be a few weeks before this project really gets off the ground (I have to buy a few things and then wait for them to be shipped...), but I wanted to go ahead and get a start on this journal.

I though that my 29gal would be the next tank I work on, but it turns out that we're moving our business from home into an office building due to expansion needs, and I'll have room there to set back up my 10gal RCS colony. So here's the plan:
Starting with: 10gal tank, black stand, black hood with 18watt T8 bulb (low tech, no CO2) Filter will be a Rena Filstar XP1 with a ZooMed 501 sponge prefilter. Flourite black sand substrate, possibly with an underlayer of Colorquartz to add depth/height in the back.

The "vision" I'm toying with in my head involves creating a jungle river gorge scene. A black gravel river with steep layered slate banks, lined with a Crypt. wendtii 'red' jungle on either side, and a steep moss-covered slope coming down in the front of the tank.

I think scaling everything will be really tough, but look really cool if I can pull it off!

This was the tank in its past life:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lauraleellbp; 01-03-2010 at 03:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 05:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
i'd say that's a jungle for sure my 10 gal shrimp tank is an open field with a hill. All hairgrass (still filling in) and a nice java fern in the corner atop the hill. I've no pics yet, but will take some once it fills in better.

I'll probably be moving my boraras fish to the 10 gal. they're small enough not to pose a threat to my shrimp and will be redoing my 30 gal to be a rummynose species tank, with maybe a GBR or two.

Looking good though Lauralee.. .you're always up so late haha... i love it.
post #3 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
10g shrimp tanks, my favorite!

I would keep it much simpler though

-Andrew

post #4 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 11:25 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
i'm extremely curious to see how this turns out!

keep us updated, pretty please.
post #5 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-20-2008, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Just a little bit of progress. Paid for the XP1, so I'm hoping it will arrive next week. Bought a bag of Onyx Sand since the LFS was out of Flourite black sand. I'm hoping that the water at the office isn't as hard as it is at home... but I think it will work.

I made a cardboard cutout sized to a 10gal tank and played around with some slate I have. Couldn't find an arrangement I really liked. I may go back to the drawing board on this one.

post #6 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Located some ColorQuartz T grade and hope to go pick it up this week, I'm going to add some to the tank to increase the height.

I may go with a simpler 'scape just b/c I'm not going to have much time at work for maintenance. I do need to get around outside and look for some good wood... hard finding anyplace that's not underwater around here ATM though.

I'm also going to get a set of acrylic intake/output for the XP1 from fishman8909

I may start assembling the tank as early as this weekend. I decided I'm going to buy a new tank though, since on my old one the silicone is looking a bit beat up. I'll just keep that one at home as my QT tank.

post #7 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 09:41 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Great! Lets get this thing goin'!

-Chris

post #8 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

The XP1 arrived, but the quick-release valve was broken. The seller said he'd ship me another one as soon as I notified him, though - so I'm quite happy about that. Hopefully that will come in this week. My Big Als shipment should come in tomorrow, with some misc. supplies for this project (thermometer, Prime, etc)

The acrylic lily pipes came in from fishman8909 too- I think they're going to work well and look really nice.

Still haven't had a chance to go pick up the ColorQuartz, maybe tomorrow. Keep getting tied up with work.

List of things I need:
Quick Release valve to arrive
ColorQuartz
New 10gal tank
Plastic floor guard for office (to keep the carpet from getting wet during tank maintenance)
Buckets
Materials for hardscape
Plants
Shrimp

Supplies I have:
Black wood tank stand
XP1
Acrylic lily pipes
10gal hood with new 15watt T8 bulb
Digital timer
1 bag Onyx sand
Prime
Digital thermometer
Mosses

Looking over the list of things I still need, it will be at least 3 weeks before I am able to buy any more of the supplies I still need to really get going on the tank (that new XP4 for my 90gal took up my entire budget between now and then LOL). I still do have plenty to work on though, since I'll need to wash all my substrate and I also plan on trying to collect some hardscape materials locally if possible.

post #9 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 04:03 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
lol, sure you have to wait a few weeks ( ) but you have a great filter to play with ( ) I waited like 8 weeks before I had enough to buy my 30c lol. Cant wait to see those pipes. They keep sounding better and better

-Chris

post #10 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (108/100%)
Sorry to hear about the XP1.

I just put fishman8909 pipes on my XP1 for my 10 gal. It looks so great and the flow is just what I was looking for. I put my diffuser under the outflow and the CO2 blows all throughout the tank. Besides the Spraybar on the XP1 looks too big proportionally to the size of the tank.

I think you will be pleased.

SUBSCRIBED

Thanks,
Rekles75

---
---
---
Finnex---ALL SCAPES HAVE BEEN RETIRED.
post #11 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Rekles, are you going to do a journal for your tank? You should!

post #12 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 06:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (108/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Rekles, are you going to do a journal for your tank? You should!

I started one for each of my tanks. I dont get too many replies or suggestions. Nobody likes my tanks Just joking.

No I think it is because I take crappy pics also.

I haven't updated them in a while but here they are:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...l-rescape.html
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...gal-again.html
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...nex-again.html

Thanks,
Rekles75

---
---
---
Finnex---ALL SCAPES HAVE BEEN RETIRED.
post #13 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

I posted in one, but they all need updates! Nice starts, I want to see how they're growing out.

post #14 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
just saw this thread, I'm excited to see what you do with the tank! A crypt jungle sounds pretty cool, not sure if you're still planning on that idea or not, but I think it would look really neat! Can't wait to see how this tank progresses!

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #15 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Fresh Fish Freak

Yep, this tank will definitely feature some C. wendtii 'red' Not sure yet what else, though I'm thinking some downoi and some moss... might just stick with those 3 to keep it simple?

Collected some pictures of Asian jungles/rivers to help with inspiration:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode