Benny's Stolen 40 Breeder; Building a SA biotope for free - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Benny's Stolen 40 Breeder; Building a SA biotope for free

Yeah, No, I know... For those of you who might have remembered me saying I'd never do FW ever again after doing the reef scene I apologize, you were right.

After receiving a lot of gifts from friends pushing me back into planted tanks I decided to take the plunge with an attempt at a 40 Breeder South American Biotope.

For Equipment I have:

40 Breeder-Free
2-96W CF Coralife fixture-Free
Eheim Canister 2232-Free
Current USA sub current internal wet dry filter-Free
EheimJager 125W heater-Free
AquaMedic CO2 reactor-$5
Western CO2 F.R.O.G.-Free
5Lbs CO2 tank-$10
50Lbs Flourite-Free
20Lbs-EcoComplete-$10
25Lbs-CaribSea White Moon Sand-Free
Home Built Stand-$40

So far the livestock in the tank is 14 Cardinal tetras. I am at a crossroads right now. I want to do FW Shrimp, especially after having all the other crabs and shrimp in reef tanks but I also want to do some apistogrammas. Can they be done together? My eventual stocking for this tank would be 12 rummynose tetras
8 otocinclus
8 Apistogramma or a boat load of Shrimp

Is there any South American alternative that'll eat snails without being a mini wrecking ball in the process?

For plants Ive decided to go with a lot of Vals, and cabomba. Was hoping to throw in some scarlet temple and maybe a horemanii sword for colour. If anybody has any suggestions for some SA plants please shoot them.

It just goes to show if you mooch long enough off of your friends you can get everything you want.

Thanks to Clay's Ace for building everything and to Rocky Mountain Aquatics for all the plants. If you can get me a name for that black plant I'll throw pictures of it up pimping your service.

Enough of my shameless plugs if you have any comments or suggestions they'd be appreciated.

Benny

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Welcome back to the "right" side of the hobby (JK!!), and welcome to TPT!

I think your lighting is really going to be problematic- wayyyyy too much. Even with pressurized CO2 I think you'll have serious problems trying to balance out this tank. Even if you backed down and only ran one bulb, IMO 96watts is still too much for a 20L tank. I personally think around 50-60 watts would be a better goal. Or one of these fixtures should do fine- they may not look like much, but IME they work great: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...lestriplight30 I think just one will get you where you say you want to go, as long as you get good CO2 levels and ferts balanced out.

I think 8 Apistos will be too many, especially once they pair off. I'd personally go with one male and 2 females or POSSIBLY 2 pairs as long as you introduce them all at the same time and there are lots of "territory markers" and broken lines of sight. You'll still need a Plan B in case they simply can't coexist during spawning.

My Apisto was a holy terror with shimp, Amanos were the only shrimp big enough to escape his hunting.

Personally, I believe rummynoses should be kept in at least a 36" to 48" tank- they need swimming room. Pencil fish might be a better option for your 20" and still be in "theme" with the tank. 8 Otos is also a lot, and you'll need to make sure to feed them fresh veggies at least every other day to make sure they don't starve to death.

Personally, this would be the stocking plan I'd go with:
2 Apistos
4-5 Otos
10 Pencilfish

An E. horemanii sword is going to outgrow your tank really quickly. I think E. angustifolius 'vesuvius' would be a great scale for your tank though. I think Vals will end up taking over your tank, too. E. angustifolius (regular), E. tenellus "regular" or some Saggitaria would still give you a grassy "look" without getting nearly as tall.

So anyways, that's my 2cents.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoped View Post
40 Breeder
After 3yrs of operation, my 96w coralife/ 30gl has finally tamed to the point of needing no CO2, with the help of quite a few fish, a large sword blocking some light, and very few water changes. Before that, CO2 was necessary to ward off black brush algae. I would stick with just one of the 96w coralifes on your 40 instead of two. I have that equivalent (192w coralife) over my 65gl and it's darn near too much light for what my pressurized CO2 is running without gassing fish.

Laura - 40breeder = 36x18. Stop multitasking

The tall leggy plant that looks like tonina, I would cut off the top 4" and replant them.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Dude, he did say that, didn't he!! I've no idea why I had 20L stuck in my head...

OK in that case, x2 on Jaide's lighting recommendation, and I'm "modifying" my stocking suggestions to:

2 pairs Apistos (research your species carefully, some are more aggro than others)
15 Rummies (or Pencils )
6 Otos

I still think the plant selection needs a bit of adjustment, though a melon sword would go OK in a 40gal. Jungle Vals would still be too big IMO and Val nana would be a better scale (though those are from Australia, I believe?) so might mess up your "theme"

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I was guessing you read "20Lbs-EcoComplete" wrong
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Here's a rough list I started throwing together of a few upper Amazon locales, maybe help you with your species decisions. What type of SA biotope are you after exactly? White water or black, stream, oxbow?

This is my algae eater/bottom feeder list, there's a tetra list on my comp somewhere that I'll add if I can find it (edit, no I through this list together for a Prionobrama filigera biotope tank. Petitella georgiae [the false rummynose] I believe is collected around these areas too). It's not all of the region's species, just a few of the ones I like best:

Otos:

*otocinclus cocama - Marañón, Ucayali

O. macrospilus - Peru, Equador

Plecos:

g. scrophus - Marañón, Ucayali

Whiptails:

3" Rineloricaria lanceolata - upper AZ basin, Peru

*6" Lamontichthys filamentosus - Iquitos, Peru

Sturistoma sp ? Colombia ?

Pseudohemidon apithanos - Iquitos, Peru, Equador

Catfish:

Rhynchodoras woodsi - Marañón (extremely rare)

Tatia perugiae - upper basin, Equador, Peru

Corydoras:

corydoras trilineatus - Marañón, Ucayali

*corydoras panda - Marañón, Ucayali

Corydoras virginiae - Marañón, Ucayali

Corydoras spilurus - Marañón

Corydoras agassizii - Iquitos, Peru

Corydoras leucomelas - Peru, Equador
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

I'd completely forgotten that Tatias are from SA... Beautiful little fish!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode